Premed 101 Forums

What's On Your Mind?

Robin Hood

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This may not be the right platform, but I wonder if some of you guys caught this on CBC last night: http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/episodes/2014-2015/pharmacy-error-dispensing-danger

Just appalling. I'm pretty disappointed with CBC, and the way they went about showing it. Errors are unfortunately a part of health care, and no matter how hard you to eliminate them, they will happen. We can learn from our mistakes, but we are not mistake proof. I remember watching the TED talk by Dr. Goldman. How good is good enough? 99%? 99.9%? Because it will never get to 100%. I do agree with CBC on some things like counselling not being provided because I have seen it first hand. That's a system error, and not a pharmacist error (mostly). Pharmacists definitely need more support from corporate chains in allowing them to do what they are capable of doing efficiently, but I'm afraid it won't ever happen the way I would like it. :(

Also, I think it applies to all health professions, and definitely something to think about as future practitioners. 

This may not be the right platform, but I wonder if some of you guys caught this on CBC last night: http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/episodes/2014-2015/pharmacy-error-dispensing-danger

Just appalling. I'm pretty disappointed with CBC, and the way they went about showing it. Errors are unfortunately a part of health care, and no matter how hard you to eliminate them, they will happen. We can learn from our mistakes, but we are not mistake proof. I remember watching the TED talk by Dr. Goldman. How good is good enough? 99%? 99.9%? Because it will never get to 100%. I do agree with CBC on some things like counselling not being provided because I have seen it first hand. That's a system error, and not a pharmacist error (mostly). Pharmacists definitely need more support from corporate chains in allowing them to do what they are capable of doing efficiently, but I'm afraid it won't ever happen the way I would like it. :(

Also, I think it applies to all health professions, and definitely something to think about as future practitioners. 

I caught bits of it, and I agree with you that people need to understand that mistakes happen. I think it's hard for people to get their mind around the fact that a mistake being made does not mean that someone must be punished for it. Mistakes must be learned from and punishment should be reserved for those who had intent to harm or who displayed negligence. Very good doctors make mistakes, and even situations without mistakes can have bad outcomes no matter what. But it's hard to internalize that if it is you or your loved one that was harmed, and that's how they have the mess of malpractice and defensive medicine they do in the US.

Incidentally, a pharmacist nearly caused me some issues recently. My pharmacists are amazing; I trust them very much and they are really crucial members of my family's health care team particularly because of our spotty physician coverage. They are fantastic examples of their profession. But after I was recently released from hospital and had to fill a scrip at a different pharmacy due to the time of day, the pharmacist's rush to get me out of there could have brought me to harm after he blew off my questions. I'm an ultrarapid metabolizer and was prescribed codeine and I was asking him about adjusting the dosage and he just waved me off, didn't even answer my question.

Incidentally, a pharmacist nearly caused me some issues recently. My pharmacists are amazing; I trust them very much and they are really crucial members of my family's health care team particularly because of our spotty physician coverage. They are fantastic examples of their profession. But after I was recently released from hospital and had to fill a scrip at a different pharmacy due to the time of day, the pharmacist's rush to get me out of there could have brought me to harm after he blew off my questions. I'm an ultrarapid metabolizer and was prescribed codeine and I was asking him about adjusting the dosage and he just waved me off, didn't even answer my question.

I'll be honest, I think the variability in our profession is huuuge, in terms of clinical knowledge and the willingness to provide optimal patient care. The pharmacy was probably really busy with prescriptions, but again, that is not a valid reason to not perform your duties. 

I can't stress this enough (generally speaking), but people need to pick a pharmacy and interact with the pharmacists there. I do believe that some of the errors in the CBC would have been prevented if the pharmacists had known the patients. Just like how we see a lot of mistakes when people's family physician is away, and they go to Medicentres. Of course, it isn't always possible (like in your case) but it's an important step for their own safety, in my opinion. 

*Sigh* 

My research supervisor (a surgical fellow) asked me in the most serious tone I've ever heard, "Are you sure you really want to go into medicine?". I thought he was kidding...but he was actually really serious. He said, "pick something else...you're not in med yet, it's not too late". He was of course frustrated at the fact that he leaves the clinic or the OR really late every single day and has no time for anything else. 

Ugh...this kinda thing sometimes scares the shit out of me. Confused...

*Sigh* 

My research supervisor (a surgical fellow) asked me in the most serious tone I've ever heard, "Are you sure you really want to go into medicine?". I thought he was kidding...but he was actually really serious. He said, "pick something else...you're not in med yet, it's not too late". He was of course frustrated at the fact that he leaves the clinic or the OR really late every single day and has no time for anything else. 

Heh, surgical fellows (and their work hours) aren't exactly representative of all physicians - don't let his attitude scare you too much :P

That said there are definitely some lifestyle trade-offs when pursuing medicine, and some specialties certainly have it rougher than others. Just as with any other career, being aware of what those trade-offs might be, particularly in specialties that might be of interest, is worthwhile for planning your future and your approach to medicine :D

*Sigh* 

One thing I have learned in this game - never trust what a resident or fellow things of their field in the heat of their training - always seek out the staff and see what they say in the area you are interested in.

You are going to be staff a lot longer than you are going to be a resident/fellow. Consider residency etc of course but remember its place :)

Ouch, second rejection... now I have to wait until March for the third rejection. Just like last year, despite spending countless hours trying to improve myself.

I'm sorry to hear that things haven't gone well so far but don't go writing this cycle off just yet! If you've truly been working to improve your application, character, experiences, etc. that's progress to feel good about. Don't let the two rejections tell you you haven't improved or progressed.

Since my last cycle, I've put a lot of effort in improving my application as well as working on my character. I've added research and clinical volunteering/employment and honestly feel like I've matured. I don't even feel like I'm the same person. But still, so far I haven't gotten any further than last year in terms of invites. And though this is discouraging, I'm trying real hard to not count my efforts as wasted. So please keep your head up!

...that feel when got 2.7 in a third year mandatory essay course... my working hard for 2 years to keep my gpa at 3.93 just went to absolute shit. I hate bitching but damn, I can't help but think my chances at a few schools just went to nil :<

Aww man that sucks. Yeah I know it sucks to have one low mark blemish all your hard work. I feel ya. In my first year I got one low mark and it took so much work in other courses to compensate to bring it up. And then just when things seemed like they were starting to pan out, an English essay course brought it all back down.

Though this might decrease your chances for schools that look at everything, you still have a good shot at Toronto, Western and other schools that let you omit courses/years! You just have to try to tailor your app and work on things that will improve your app for the schools you're more likely to get in.

Ouch, second rejection... now I have to wait until March for the third rejection. Just like last year, despite spending countless hours trying to improve myself.

Dr. Tenmaaaa ;_;

Will you apply again next year? I really hope you make it.

Why didn't you also apply to Western? 

I finally found a supervisor for an NSERC USRA early last week, then he bailed on me yesterday... He was the only prof out of about 6 I contacted who said yes to me. I give up. -_- Alas, research just isn't for me I guess... I don't even know why I'm so disappointed... I know I wouldnt have received the award anyway because my GPA isn't nearly perfect. :/

I finally found a supervisor for an NSERC USRA early last week, then he bailed on me yesterday... He was the only prof out of about 6 I contacted who said yes to me. I give up. -_- Alas, research just isn't for me I guess... I don't even know why I'm so disappointed... I know I wouldnt have received the award anyway because my GPA isn't nearly perfect. :/

the moment you make a decision to give up you already lost. Dont give up! Try again :) good luck

I don't even know why I'm so disappointed... I know I wouldnt have received the award anyway because my GPA isn't nearly perfect. :/

And yet you applied anyway, didn't you?

So this time around, say "I don't even know why I'm applying... the last time I tried my sponsoring PI backed out."

... but you'll do it anyways. Keep your head up. I think I contacted and visited about 12 labs before I found one who would help me apply to CIHR, and this was later in my undergrad career than you are now currently. This isn't even a bump in the road. It's a pebble.

I sent out ~30 emails last week, only 1 replied. Told me to contact her in Feb, then this Tuesday morning told me to come and see her in the very afternoon. I said I can't due to other commitment. I then asked can we meet in the morning. Said no only in the afternoon. So I asked my manger to switch my shift so that I can have a day off today. Emailed her again about Friday availability, no response. Called her this morning, said she doesn't have my resume and can't even remember my name. So I resent her my resume (for the third fking time), and two hours later replied to me saying there is no opportunity available...I mean, WTF!

With regard to USRA, I ended up having 3 different professors want to supervise me. I think 2 of them just wanted to use me to do R programming for them, so I went with the third who is also allowing me to volunteer in his lab.

I find that when I mass apply to places, either no one at all replies, or a bunch of people do and then I'm stuck having to pick between professors/jobs etc.

That sucks. A friend of mine had the same thing around the time we were finishing high school. I remember him being stuck in bed for a while, but I don't remember him saying anything about peeing more often. How often do you need to go now? More than once every 2 hours?

I would be interested in what anyone has to say on the topic but of course no one wants to go into anything that would be considered medical advice. Speaking of this, if anyone could give me some tips on where to look up medical info that would be awesome. There's not enough detail online for things that I am interested in besides specific studies and that is too specific, lol. I am thinking maybe just hit up the nearest med school's library and read the text books?

Archived