Premed 101 Forums

What's On Your Mind?

Robin Hood

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^^^ You and me both! What have you heard?

Universities have created this mess by increasing reliance on graduate students in exchange for helping to fund their graduate education.

We should go back to the days where only the best of the best received graduate funding.

Government hasn't helped either by trying to make it do that as many ppl can go to University which had watered down the value of a degree and forced students into grad schools.

What a joke

I just had an interview with the rudest doctor I have ever met in my life! At one point, he said he want me to commit to VOLUNTEERING 30 hrs/week at his clinic and I told him I can't do that many hours because I'll have to do my US medical school applications while working part-time this summer, then he said "if you think that's more important than us then I won't even consider you". Um, of course my medical school applications are more important than volunteering at your stupid clinic. Why do you think I even want to be your receptionist for free if it wasn't to get experience for my application?? 

He asked me what I would do if the office computer won't turn on. I said first I would look to see if anyone else in the clinic has more technical experience in troubleshooting computers. He interrupts me and said "there's no one available. So you just rely on other people then? You can't do it yourself?" Uh..do you have a problem with employee cooperation asshole? And what the hell am I supposed to do if it won't turn on? Rub the Aladdin stethoscope until it spits out a screwdriver and use my imaginary engineering degree to fix it?

Every single thing he said to me had a degrading tone. I don't understand how people like that became a doctor, but I'll make damn sure I'll be a heck a lot more nicer to other people once I am a doctor. 

I just had an interview with the rudest doctor I have ever met in my life! At one point, he said he want me to commit to VOLUNTEERING 30 hrs/week at his clinic and I told him I can't do that many hours because I'll have to do my US medical school applications while working part-time this summer, then he said "if you think that's more important than us then I won't even consider you". Um, of course my medical school applications are more important than volunteering at your stupid clinic. Why do you think I even want to be your receptionist for free if it wasn't to get experience for my application?? 

He asked me what I would do if the office computer won't turn on. I said first I would look to see if anyone else in the clinic has more technical experience in troubleshooting computers. He interrupts me and said "there's no one available. So you just rely on other people then? You can't do it yourself?" Uh..do you have a problem with employee cooperation asshole? And what the hell am I supposed to do if it won't turn on? Rub the Aladdin stethoscope until it spits out a screwdriver and use my imaginary engineering degree to fix it?

Every single thing he said to me had a degrading tone. I don't understand how people like that became a doctor, but I'll make damn sure I'll be a heck a lot more nicer to other people once I am a doctor. 

Wow, that's a rough experience. Just be thankful that you didn't find out about the condescension after you already agreed to volunteer there!

I really wonder what he was looking for with that computer question. I'm pretty good with computers, and I probably would have given a series of steps to follow to figure out why it's not turning on, but there's no way that this guy was looking for that... was he?

Summergirl, sounds more like someone who wants to take advantage of premeds to avoid paying someone. Nasty sounding person, I'm sorry you were dealing with that. I've heard of doctors who are fantastic bosses and doctors who are nightmares. Sounds like you may have encountered one of the latter.

In completely unrelated news, I have now experienced the heaviest snowstorm of my life. I'm living in a winter wonderland/hell. I don't know how present it is on the news in other parts of he country, but we got nearly 90cm of snow in two days. The island has been closed down since Saturday afternoon, and the public schools are closed again tomorrow because most of the secondary roads are still under several feet of snow. Don't know if the university is going to open tomorrow or not, but it'll definitely be delayed. Our reading week is next week, so none of us are likely to get anything productive done for the rest of the week.

Super excited - the clothing company that I work with on the side is finally releasing our first set of products, including a shirt I designed (by designed, I mean I thought of the witty text to put on it).

I don't really make any money off it it, maybe a few hundred dollars, but I have no investment in the company. I'm just excited that we're finally getting stuff done.

My blood is boiling. I'm livid.  :angry:

I come home for the second half of my reading week to find that my family home has been broken into and robbed. 

The funny thing is, that my town/settlement has a population less than 75 people, so it was most likely someone we know, especially since my dog would have bitten the person if she didn't know them, which would have probably scared them off. I guess a perk to living in such a small community is that everyone knows everyone, and as a result it looks like we may have a witness lined up. 

My stomach is doing flips.  :(

My blood is boiling. I'm livid.  :angry:

I come home for the second half of my reading week to find that my family home has been broken into and robbed. 

The funny thing is, that my town/settlement has a population less than 75 people, so it was most likely someone we know, especially since my dog would have bitten the person if she didn't know them, which would have probably scared them off. I guess a perk to living in such a small community is that everyone knows everyone, and as a result it looks like we may have a witness lined up. 

My stomach is doing flips.  :(

That really sucks. My granda - who is very close to us and we lived with him for about 12 years- had his house broken in to. The people who did it were the downstairs tenants though. They did it because my grandpa was away and no one was home so they must've thought it was easy to get away with. It really sucks having that happen because it makes you feel uneasy that other people would do that.

Was no one home at your house?

That really sucks. My granda - who is very close to us and we lived with him for about 12 years- had his house broken in to. The people who did it were the downstairs tenants though. They did it because my grandpa was away and no one was home so they must've thought it was easy to get away with. It really sucks having that happen because it makes you feel uneasy that other people would do that.

Was no one home at your house?

I'm sorry to hear about your grandpa. And yea, especially since it feels like your personal and private space has been violated, which it has.

Yeah. No one was home. I was suppose to be home the night before and would have been home to prevent it from happening, but I didn't want my parents to be picking me up late from the train station because they had work the next day. 

I guess we now have two witnesses; one saw him entering, the other saw him leaving. The only thing is, they didn't see his face. Both of them know who it was when they saw them though. Basically, the prime suspect is the neighbours son, who coincidently was a childhood friend of mine that has the same birthday as me. My family actually worries that this wasn't a one time thing; we all feel like he's been stealing from us for years. 

We knew that it had to be someone we know because nothing was disturbed - they knew exactly what they were after and where to get it.

My family feels so betrayed because we've done a lot for that kid over the years. (Not to say that we're 100% certain that he did it of course, because there isn't any evidence to say he is for sure guilty, however, we're fairly certain that it was him).

I really hope justice is served and that we get our heirlooms back. I also hope that he gets some jail time if he's to blame, mostly so he can learn that there are consequences for one's actions, and then maybe he'd smarten up and get his life together. 

haha this reminds me of a bunch of graphs i found that showed spurious correlations between two completely unrelated factors.

EDIT: found it!

http://www.tylervigen.com/

I did a bunch of similar type charts a few years ago for a conference I was speaking at (biz conference) to reinforce the importance of having the RIGHT data to support decision-making and not just data which supports a particular narrative.

I LOL'd at the Per capita consumption of mozzarella cheese (US) correlates with Civil engineering doctorates awarded (US) in your link as my wife is a civil engineer haha (not Ph.D mind you)

Future planning is tough when your top choice medical school doesn't tell you its verdict until May 15. Have to plan a cross continent move if that doesn't pull through alongside visa's for myself and partner..not to mention housing and financials..state certification for the partners profession...

UBC?

Future planning is tough when your top choice medical school doesn't tell you its verdict until May 15. Have to plan a cross continent move if that doesn't pull through alongside visa's for myself and partner..not to mention housing and financials..state certification for the partners profession...

I know what you mean. I won't be hearing from either school until May, and both start at the end of August, so we'll need to move at the end of July. My daughter is due to start school this fall, and my son has an IEP so I usually meet with his teacher for the following year before school lets out for the summer, so it's all really quite aggravating. I'll have about ten weeks, less if I get in off a wait list, to uproot my family, have my husband find a new job, get the kids registered for school and find after school care, get my son's specialized services set up in the new school district, besides all the nonsense that comes just with the fact of moving itself. I don't even know if we will be moving at all, let alone where to, so it feels like we've suspended our lives completely until I hear.

It really seems like the application cycles for Canadian schools are far, far too long. There's got to be a faster way to make the decisions.

Archived