Premed 101 Forums

What's On Your Mind?

Robin Hood

I know what you mean. I won't be hearing from either school until May, and both start at the end of August, so we'll need to move at the end of July. My daughter is due to start school this fall, and my son has an IEP so I usually meet with his teacher for the following year before school lets out for the summer, so it's all really quite aggravating. I'll have about ten weeks, less if I get in off a wait list, to uproot my family, have my husband find a new job, get the kids registered for school and find after school care, get my son's specialized services set up in the new school district, besides all the nonsense that comes just with the fact of moving itself. I don't even know if we will be moving at all, let alone where to, so it feels like we've suspended our lives completely until I hear.

It really seems like the application cycles for Canadian schools are far, far too long. There's got to be a faster way to make the decisions.

I hear you, you definitely have a more complicated situation in play. I do not envy you at all with regards to dealing with the school districts to short out the IEP and related funding and such. Working as a homeschool instructor, my student's mother was constantly back and forth with the various government contacts and school board taking care of similar issues. 

I imagine you have schools in mind already in the respective new cities? Maybe they would be willing to do some "pre-work" to get you various forms and paperwork prior to any decision being made, so that when it does you can rest a bit easier..

Sincere good luck!

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Salut, si on a complété un BSc et un MSc…n'ayant pas les notes pour med (étant donné qu'il ne regarde pas la maîtrise). Que suggériez-vous pour augmenter les notes? Un certificat de 1er cycle? Un autre bac?   

Fais un autre bac. Tu parles anglais? Si oui, McGill va regarder juste ton 2e bac donc ca en vaut vraiment la peine. 

haha this reminds me of a bunch of graphs i found that showed spurious correlations between two completely unrelated factors.

EDIT: found it!

http://www.tylervigen.com/

This is amazing... gonna use it if I ever get to teach Data Management again.

This is exactly the kind of stuff people do though...sadly it even finds its way into scientific literature.

Just had an interview for another decently prestigious and harshly competitive program (which I won't go into details about, as beauty is in the eye of the beholder) and it made me realize something:

Even though my stats are "Med school bad" they're still amazing, and it was clear from my interview. They calculated my competitive GPA by letter (as opposed to the 4.0 scale) and I was, relatively, much higher and I got an interview offer almost immediately. Then, talking about my "mundane pre-med stuff" like teaching experience, hospital work or opening a youth centre, got quite the response out of the interviewer...made me feel like the greatest thing since sliced bread, which is in stark contrast to the med school process which makes me feel like a failure. I then realized I have done a lot, and accomplished a lot in my community. I'm the first person in my family to ever graduate highschool, let alone university, and I have three degrees, one at the masters level.

Makes me wonder how it would turn out if I did broaden the med school net a little bit to avoid a bit of the numbers game here. Unfortunately though, I just don't think I'm in a good enough financial/emotional situation to do so (too much tying me down!).

So my words to you are - you're still the cream of the crop, even if you're having a hard time getting in. Try to remember that as best you can.

Just had an interview for another decently prestigious and harshly competitive program (which I won't go into details about, as beauty is in the eye of the beholder) and it made me realize something:

Even though my stats are "Med school bad" they're still amazing, and it was clear from my interview. They calculated my competitive GPA by letter (as opposed to the 4.0 scale) and I was, relatively, much higher and I got an interview offer almost immediately. Then, talking about my "mundane pre-med stuff" like teaching experience, hospital work or opening a youth centre, got quite the response out of the interviewer...made me feel like the greatest thing since sliced bread, which is in stark contrast to the med school process which makes me feel like a failure. I then realized I have done a lot, and accomplished a lot in my community. I'm the first person in my family to ever graduate highschool, let alone university, and I have three degrees, one at the masters level.

Makes me wonder how it would turn out if I did broaden the med school net a little bit to avoid a bit of the numbers game here. Unfortunately though, I just don't think I'm in a good enough financial/emotional situation to do so (too much tying me down!).

So my words to you are - you're still the cream of the crop, even if you're having a hard time getting in. Try to remember that as best you can.

Truer words!

A couple years ago I was looking for work, and I had an interview at Canadian Tire. One of the first things the manager asked me was, "Are you trying to become a doctor?". To which I said yes, and then he said that I have some amazing experiences. I consider my experiences below average ECs and yet it still made me feel pretty nice though. I also found it funny that I never mentioned anything about medicine in the resume, cover letter, or on the phone when applying to that job.

Was typing up some review notes for my microbiology class today and went to type "Taxonomics", but I accidentally ended up typing "Taconomics".

Seems I have created a new branch science that involves defining groups of tacos on the basis of shared characteristics and giving names to those groups.

Oh lord. What have I created?  :eek:  :confused:  :lol: 

Went to a premed event hosted by prep101 called conversation with a med student. Unfortunately, this med student was outright wrong on a few issues. Kind of a big deal to that person who takes her word for it and doesn't do her own research on the topic - completely misleading.

At least there was free pizza.

This is why I pay lots of money for a two bedroom. Total separation between desk and couch, and bed.

Otherwise no studying would be done.

I have a two bedroom as well, with one of the rooms acting as my study. I just make bad choices.

Yeah it was the one at UBC. They are generally useless, except when they have adcoms from canadian schools talking. That can be valuable on getting opinions for specific schools. Also its a bonus if they have a raffle for a free prep course

Oh wow! I actually just got the invite to the prep101 "pizza with a med student" and was thinking it would be cool to check it out. Was your med student also one from UofT or from somewhere else?

Oh wow! I actually just got the invite to the prep101 "pizza with a med student" and was thinking it would be cool to check it out. Was your med student also one from UofT or from somewhere else?

Hey the one I went to was in Vancouver, so they actually had a UBC med student give the talk. She was not very knowledgeable on med school admissions, but a lot of the talk was on the MCAT and what it's like to be a med student. The part about being in med school is interesting so looking back I would go just for that part. Gets me so excited to get in haha.

Crazy that the girl who gave the talk had a 99th percentile MCAT score. Got some reactions from the crowd when she told us. She was in the MD/PHD stream.

Archived