Premed 101 Forums

What's On Your Mind?

Robin Hood

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2 years is still a long time away! ...right?

err....doesn't seem that way for rads - in about one year people go full max study mode (and I mean max, it is kind of scary and yet also impressive). At this point though call begins to drop off and studying goes to 2-3 hours a night and 6 on the weekend days - particularly after the fellowships are decided ha.

"You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day"

Really? You'd think today could be an exception :P Congrats to everyone who received great news today! 

And to wait-listers and those who did not get great news, hugs to you. I really (really) know that feeling, please don't give up because it means so much that you made it to an interview, and you've got it in you. It's just a matter of time. 

"You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day"

Really? You'd think today could be an exception :P Congrats to everyone who received great news today! 

And to wait-listers and those who did not get great news, hugs to you. I really (really) know that feeling, please don't give up because it means so much that you made it to an interview, and you've got it in you. It's just a matter of time. 

did not know we had a limit ha!

Hoping that I don't get too many marks deducted on my calculus quiz for not simplifying my answer. For example I had 12/15 instead of 4/5. What a silly mistake I made and hopefully I still get a high mark! I don't know what to think because my teacher is strict but not picky. Oh well.

Hoping that I don't get too many marks deducted on my calculus quiz for not simplifying my answer. For example I had 12/15 instead of 4/5. What a silly mistake I made and hopefully I still get a high mark! I don't know what to think because my teacher is strict but not picky. Oh well.

reducing answers? I hope not - I mean your answer is completely correct after all.

Whats on my mind? Nothing and everything all at the same time. Kind of losing my mind waiting to hopefully get off the QMed waitlist. I wish I could work but unfortunately I recently broke my arm. Sad part is I can't even play video games lol. In need of some suggestions to pass the time. 

Semi serious question: How the heck do people get to the point that they enjoy running?

Full disclosure: I am not a fit person. Never have been. I spent more time unconscious in gym class or having broken fingers splinted than I did actually participating in gym. But, I've gotten into medical school and this has made my already self-conscious self even more self-conscious about being the only overweight person in class... So I decided to try couch to 5K because I have a spinal injury that cannot tolerate me being a competitive idiot in fitness bootcamp (and I am the competitive idiot who ignores their actual fitness level and winds up hurting themselves when I take group classes). Also, most of the people I know tell me that running is super fantastically awesome so why not see what all the fuss is about, right?

I have always hated running more than just about anything else and it turns out I still hate running... yet everyone keeps telling me about how awesome running is and how they do so much thinking while they're running and how running clears their head... all I think about while running is how unpleasant the experience of running is. 

So... how do I go from "this activity is literally the most unpleasant thing I can imagine doing right now" to "running is the greatest thing". It must be possible because my entire life seemed to be filled with people who love to run.

Earlier this year I made some changes to my eating and lost about 20-25 pounds... But I've kind of levelled out so I'm hoping this spurs me further on my way to a healthier lifestyle.

I used to run and I hated it. It was so boring and I'd always end up counting the number of streets till I can stop Running. That combined with broken fingers from basketball, smashed in the head by tennis and volleyball pretty much made me believe I hated all forms of physical activity.

Running isn't the only way to get fit. I didn't learn to bike till I was 16 (due to previously crashing my bike the first time I tried to learn it even I was 3-4). I had to learn to bike because I couldn't get rides to school anymore and it was an hour walk (no busses). I loved it. Because I'd use it for going every where everyday, I ended up exercising without blocking out time to exercise. I still bike to school now. Biking is a lot easier on the knees and feet than running, which is good to consider since I was someone easily injured in sports.

Semi serious question: How the heck do people get to the point that they enjoy running?

Full disclosure: I am not a fit person. Never have been. I spent more time unconscious in gym class or having broken fingers splinted than I did actually participating in gym. But, I've gotten into medical school and this has made my already self-conscious self even more self-conscious about being the only overweight person in class... So I decided to try couch to 5K because I have a spinal injury that cannot tolerate me being a competitive idiot in fitness bootcamp (and I am the competitive idiot who ignores their actual fitness level and winds up hurting themselves when I take group classes). Also, most of the people I know tell me that running is super fantastically awesome so why not see what all the fuss is about, right?

I have always hated running more than just about anything else and it turns out I still hate running... yet everyone keeps telling me about how awesome running is and how they do so much thinking while they're running and how running clears their head... all I think about while running is how unpleasant the experience of running is. 

So... how do I go from "this activity is literally the most unpleasant thing I can imagine doing right now" to "running is the greatest thing". It must be possible because my entire life seemed to be filled with people who love to run.

Earlier this year I made some changes to my eating and lost about 20-25 pounds... But I've kind of levelled out so I'm hoping this spurs me further on my way to a healthier lifestyle.

Is there any kind of physical activity that you do enjoy?

Go with that.

Running is ok if you enjoy it, but it's not superior to any other form of physical activity necessarily.

Have you tried using an elliptical at the gym or perhaps a stationary/reclined bike (all low impact--better for those with injuries and to ease oneself in) at the gym?

Even lifting free weights or using machines at the gym and keeping your rest-times shorter in between exercises and sets can help get your heart rate up and provide a conditioning effect if that is what you are looking for.

Is there any kind of physical activity that you do enjoy?

Go with that.

Running is ok if you enjoy it, but it's not superior to any other form of physical activity necessarily.

Have you tried using an elliptical at the gym or perhaps a stationary/reclined bike (all low impact--better for those with injuries and to ease oneself in) at the gym?

Even lifting free weights or using machines at the gym and keeping your rest-times shorter in between exercises and sets can help get your heart rate up and provide a conditioning effect if that is what you are looking for.

There are, but they're just a 25-30 minute drive away from my house (I live on the outermost edges of urban sprawl). I like swimming but the closest pool to me (not currently closed for renovation) is about 30 minutes away. There is a new pool opening near me in the summer, I'm just trying to find something in the mean time. 

I honestly only picked running because the couch to 5K thing seemed like a reasonable enough plan that didn't require me to already be fit to try it and it didn't require me to own any equipment. I may have to re-evaluate. Thanks for the suggestions! :-)

There are, but they're just a 25-30 minute drive away from my house (I live on the outermost edges of urban sprawl). I like swimming but the closest pool to me (not currently closed for renovation) is about 30 minutes away. There is a new pool opening near me in the summer, I'm just trying to find something in the mean time. 

I honestly only picked running because the couch to 5K thing seemed like a reasonable enough plan that didn't require me to already be fit to try it and it didn't require me to own any equipment. I may have to re-evaluate. Thanks for the suggestions! :-)

Ah, I see.

I know what that's like when the gym is so far away. Just recently had one open up close to home and it's so much more convenient.

Are there any trails near your home or any hills that you could walk (whether grass or sidewalks)?

I've done fasted walks in the morning for ~1hr and it's great exercise if you keep up a brisk pace and go up/down hills along the way.

Also a great way to ease oneself back into things.

Bodyweight exercises done at home in a circuit style can also be fantastic as long as you find a few that you can perform comfortably without pain and of course do not require any equipment (although you could consider purchasing a set of resistance bands if you'd like once you've built up some strength). Sample programs of this kind can be found online quite easily too.

Best of luck with your goals and health!

I can relate to this so much! I used to hate jogging too but recently got back into it because I figured I'd be a total hypocrite if I were to tell patients how important it to find time to exercise without actually doing it myself.  :P  I started jogging again in the last few weeks and hated it the first few times. I spoke with some friends who have been jogging for a while and realized I was probably jogging too fast. The next time I went, I kept forcing myself to slow down and actually loved it so much! It sounds stupid, but I hadn't realized I was going too fast. I'm going to work on my speed, but for now I'm just happy to be moving and enjoying it (and to finally get why people like it so much!).

Go with biking if you can. Assuming you were a student who spent most their day studying with bad posture, you probably have a lost of muscle imbalances, inhibited muscles, and tight muscles that'll start to hurt your knees once you start running consistently. If you do choose to, get a foam roller, stretch those hip flexors, and work on your butt muscles. This is good advice if you choose to bike too, but biking is a lot better on your knees.

Archived