Premed 101 Forums

What's On Your Mind?

Robin Hood

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

hmmm fellowship selection time - this means I finally have to decide what I am doing with my life. Decisions, decisions ha. 

I get you man. Got offered my adult job, and I have to move away from the fam! So we will see what happens come May, and thus MORE life change xD. Good luck RM :).

I get you man. Got offered my adult job, and I have to move away from the fam! So we will see what happens come May, and thus MORE life change xD. Good luck RM :).

good luck!

lately I have had the theme music to stan lee's lucky man stuck in my head:

Fortune is a fickle friend
Here today and then gone again
A good time girl, when it hurts
Is nowhere to be found
Ha. Ha. Ha. Ha she's laughing in your face
When you think that you've got it made
Patient with your life now
Careful with your pride
Hold tight
This could be a wild ride
It could be a late night
Who is the underdog
And who's gonna be the lucky one?

are fellowships required nowadays for radiology or can you get a job in a major city easily straight from residency? 

major city? Required. Pretty much everyone does one - I would say about 90% do. 

That being said you don't have to do one right away, although again most do. 

If you are happy doing smaller city/town then it is tempting to skip it. 

Not required for smaller centres looking for generalists, but most other groups will be looking for what you can "add" to the practice... 

you know it is strange - even well into radiology programs they don't spend that much time actually talking about careers. It is all very much word of mouth etc. 

you know it is strange - even well into radiology programs they don't spend that much time actually talking about careers. It is all very much word of mouth etc. 

Do you mean speaking about where to take your career in general (usually most of that advice is geared towards academic radiology)? Or practical aspects of finding a job. 

I guess when it comes down to it, most groups are either looking to hire, or they are not (though they may be willing to talk to desirable candidates with long-term potential). They can make advance commitments mostly in case of planned retirement/slowdown, or if they are *sure* of future needs.

Otherwise, many openings arise in the short term when someone moves on. Not as helpful for residents when the time of fellowship selection is 3 years prior to anticipated start date.

Not sure what else there is to say? I agree, it's very murky once past the "how to put together a CV/cover letter and interview" stage...

Do you mean speaking about where to take your career in general (usually most of that advice is geared towards academic radiology)? Or practical aspects of finding a job. 

I guess when it comes down it, most groups are either looking to hire, or they are not (though they may be willing to talk to desirable candidates with long-term potential). They can make advance commitments mostly in case of planned retirement/slowdown, or if they are *sure* of future needs.

Otherwise, many openings arise in the short term when someone moves on. Not as helpful for residents when the time of fellowship selection is 3 years prior to anticipated start date.

Not sure what else there is to say? I agree, it's very murky once past the "how to put together a CV/cover letter and interview" stage...

I mean you are right - and there is little centralization of any of this. Where are the jobs, what areas in general in radiology are deficit in correspondingly fellowship trained people.

the base answer is always "networking" - which is interesting to default to with the rather restricted schedule of residents etc.

I mean you are right - and there is little centralization of any of this. Where are the jobs, what areas in general in radiology are deficit in correspondingly fellowship trained people.

the base answer is always "networking" - which is interesting to default to with the rather restricted schedule of residents etc.

Even before we speak of centralization, there is not always a clear-cut answer as to when a job is available, or what subspecialty area is most in need. A group is a collection of different personalities/values/opinions who reach an internal consensus about such things when they decide to hire. There may be leeway for the right person - or a candidate may be asked to undergo additional training to match the group's needs. This is one way to circumvent the rigid fellowship timeline. 

As you have stated, given the restricted schedule of residents, networking is simplest for those who have a compelling reason to be in one place, and can target that location convincingly. For everyone else, word-of-mouth is likely a better term. You've probably heard it said that residency is basically one lengthy job interview...

Even before we speak of centralization, there is not always a clear-cut answer as to when a job is available, or what subspecialty area is most in need. A group is a collection of different personalities/values/opinions who reach an internal consensus about such things when they decide to hire. There may be leeway for the right person - or a candidate may be asked to undergo additional training to match the group's needs. This is one way to circumvent the rigid fellowship timeline. 

As you have stated, given the restricted schedule of residents, networking is simplest for those who have a compelling reason to be in one place, and can target that location convincingly. For everyone else, word-of-mouth is likely a better term. You've probably heard it said that residency is basically one lengthy job interview...

absolutely ha :) I am not saying it is easy. The messiness of it all is not something that is easy to avoid. The turn around time for fellowships doesn't exactly help either of course. 

Well, the advice that I was given was that since it is not likely you can predict what will be in demand 3 years down the road - to just do what you enjoy.

This offloads the messiness into the post-fellowship acceptance timeframe (when you start to see switches/additions based on emerging job needs).

Good luck! This is about all the insight I have on this topic :)

Well, the advice that I was given was that since it is not likely you can predict what will be in demand 3 years down the road - to just do what you enjoy.

This offloads the messiness into the post-fellowship acceptance timeframe (when you start to see switches/additions based on emerging job needs).

Good luck! This is about all the insight I have on this topic :)

ha - that is the common advice :) and I am not actually complaining, it is just one more phase of relative uncertainty in the progress. Time to get organized!

Med school is fun.

Babies are also fun.

The combination is not.

(It's honestly not awful but I miss sleep.)

That does sound like a challenge ha! Fortunately your child will be older by the time you hit residency (when the real sleep deprivation begins from the clinical side). It has been done and is survivable in the end :) 

while next year will be very busy at least my call ends. I can get back a normal sleeping pattern. 

We are all graduated and scattering across Canada.  Wondering which of my med school friends I will keep in touch with. 

that is a strange part of medical school - your spend the first 2ish years really focusing on doing things as a group, and then you slowly but progressively scatter over time. 

Residency at least at the start will make it hard - moving possibly and just so busy. 

Archived