Premed 101 Forums

Athabasca Biol 230

Hi!

Just wondering if anyone has done distance education with Athabasca? I'm looking to do Biol 230 (Human Physiology) as my animal physiology cannot be used as a prereq for PT :( .

Thoughts? Experiences?

I would be looking to begin in August and have the course finished before December.

Any postings would be appreciated!

Guest Physioprospect

I did the course, as well as BIOL 235. Both are very comprehensive courses. Marking of assignments and tests is fair. If you put the work in you will get an A. Any other questions let me know.

I took Biol 230 this September-December. I had plenty of A&P knowledge prior to the course but needed the human physiology specific credits. The course is great, good feedback from the TA and assignments are straightforward. Labs were fun. If you read most of the textbook and at least skim the rest, and then work through the study guide questions (which resurface on your quizzes) then you should be all set. The course was a little pricey ($1300) and you don't have the option to find the text elsewhere like I've done for other courses, but on the other hand I guess everything is mailed to you with no hassle.

A couple things to be prepared for are:

you must register before the 10th of the month prior to the month you want to begin the course on (ie. before July 10th for an August 1st start),

marking of assignments may take a week or longer,

you cannot receive your final grade until Athabasca has received your lab kit (plus a week or so for processing),

and technically final grades/transcripts are not released until roughly 6 weeks after your final exam is written/final assignment submitted. This last point was a bit of a hassle for me as I finished all my work in December, then got super worried about UBC's Jan. 15 document deadline.....but the admissions lady Sheila allowed the Athabasca course director to send over my final grade in an e-mail in lieu of the transcript until the transcripts were available to send out. I was able to make the Jan.31st/Feb 1st transcript deadlines for Dal, Alberta and ORPAS schools...but it was a little too close for comfort.

Thanks for the heads up. I was looking to start it in August and make sure it was done before December in order for it to be available for that Jan 15 deadline. Is UBC usually flexible with deadlines like that for Athabasca courses or should I make sure to give extra time?

Yeah UBC was fine with me not having the transcript in on time b/c they were able to get the grade e-mailed to them.

Also, one thing to keep in mind is that you need to request your midterm and final exam dates I think a month prior to when you want to write them, and a lot of approved testing centers (local colleges, universities) also require a months notice to book an exam date. Okanagan College charged $30 cash per test, be aware of those costs also. November/December were particularly tough to get testing times. I ended up having to do my midterm 2 and final practically back to back....so just make sure to get on it early.

• 2 years later...

Hi all, 

I was hoping to get some feedback and study advice from anyone who has recently completed BIO 230 from Athabasca University. I just recently started the course about 2 weeks ago and it's taking me about a week to complete each unit after writing out definitions for each key term and completing the study guide as my academic expert who was assigned to me has advised. I've already taken 3 physiology courses in my undergraduate degree (introductory physiology, exercise physiology and pathophysiology) and I'm finding most of the content in BIO 230 a review. I have to complete the course by UBC's MPT application deadline at the end of December. I want to complete this course as quickly as possible, but also not negatively affect my GPA (3.85) and hurt my chances of being accepted into program. 

Are there any study strategies anyone can recommend to speed up the process and still do well in the course? I've heard of people completing the course in 2 months and receiving A's, which seems crazy with the amount of work I'm putting in at the moment. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards

Hi all, 

I was hoping to get some feedback and study advice from anyone who has recently completed BIO 230 from Athabasca University. I just recently started the course about 2 weeks ago and it's taking me about a week to complete each unit after writing out definitions for each key term and completing the study guide as my academic expert who was assigned to me has advised. I've already taken 3 physiology courses in my undergraduate degree (introductory physiology, exercise physiology and pathophysiology) and I'm finding most of the content in BIO 230 a review. I have to complete the course by UBC's MPT application deadline at the end of December. I want to complete this course as quickly as possible, but also not negatively affect my GPA (3.85) and hurt my chances of being accepted into program. 

Are there any study strategies anyone can recommend to speed up the process and still do well in the course? I've heard of people completing the course in 2 months and receiving A's, which seems crazy with the amount of work I'm putting in at the moment. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards

Hello, I am also doing BIOL230 and in the same boat as you. I am just about to write the first midterm. Do you by chance live in Vancouver and want to work on the labs/ study together? 

Archived