Premed 101 Forums

Nurse Practitioner applying to med school

Hi everyone,

I'm currently working as a Nurse Practitioner and have recently completed my masters of public health. I am contemplating applying to medical school, however my undergraduate marks from when I completed my nursing degree 9 years ago are not great (GPa-2.7). My most recent marks after completing the np and masters program are substantially higher (3.7). I'm just wondering if these most recent marks are considered as opposed to my grades 9 years ago.

Hi everyone,

I'm currently working as a Nurse Practitioner and have recently completed my masters of public health. I am contemplating applying to medical school, however my undergraduate marks from when I completed my nursing degree 9 years ago are not great (GPa-2.7). My most recent marks after completing the np and masters program are substantially higher (3.7). I'm just wondering if these most recent marks are considered as opposed to my grades 9 years ago.

Graduate level adds very little to the bottom line in terms of assessment to meet GPA cut offs.

2.7 wouldn't meet any of the cut offs but is that your school GPA or OMSAS GPA?

That said, please post the breakdown of GPA using OMSAS scale for each year of your undergrad 9 years ago but in the end it looks like the only shot you'll have is a second degree.

Year 1:3.0

Year 2:2.3

Year3:2.3

Year4:2.9

It looks like my undergrad gpa is worse than I thought when calculating it using the omsas.... It is a shame because my Nurse Practitioner marks are great. Not sure where to go from here....

Full time second degree likely.

IMG is an option in theory, but you run a major risk of never getting a residency given the increased number of CMG's and US grads. The US will likely be unavailable to Canadian IMG's in 2015 and later. Then you have 200-300k of debt and no way to pay it off.

NP isn't that bad. I would keep at that. If you want more autonomy maybe you could go to a more rural area.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Year 1:3.0

Year 2:2.3

Year3:2.3

Year4:2.9

It looks like my undergrad gpa is worse than I thought when calculating it using the omsas.... It is a shame because my Nurse Practitioner marks are great. Not sure where to go from here....

Unfortunately if you want a CDN MD you'll need a second degree.

May I ask why you want to leave the NP profession in favour of MD?

Hi everyone,

so the np and the masters programs are two different things then - ha, I should know more about this. What was involved in getting the np specifically and is there an associated GPA for that?

Thanks for the advice everyone. I think I'm going to opt for a second undergraduate degree. I already have a second degree partially completed from some extra courses I have taken in my previous studies. I am determined to become a physician even if it takes me a bit longer to get there. As for why I want to leave the NP profession to become an Md, it is more about furthering my education and challenging myself. As an Np I do have quite a bit of autonomy, however I just want to learn more.

In response to the question of what was involved in becoming an NP, I had to complete the NP certificate program then write an exam for my licensure. I completed the MPH program separately.

did you do that full time, part time....? Where did you do it?

Sorry for the questions - it might play a role.

good luck with everything...

NOSM will look at the best of 2 degrees and if u are a mature student your second degree can be 3 years. maybe you can transfer credits and do a degree in 2 years. i was looking at doing a 3 year gerontology degree at Laurentian by distance which would have taken me 2 years, at 3 credits a semester. that was based on credits from nursing degree.

u dont need MCAT for NOSM..but u need a strong context score....were u raised in northern ontario?

Thanks for the advice everyone. I think I'm going to opt for a second undergraduate degree. I already have a second degree partially completed from some extra courses I have taken in my previous studies. I am determined to become a physician even if it takes me a bit longer to get there. As for why I want to leave the NP profession to become an Md, it is more about furthering my education and challenging myself. As an Np I do have quite a bit of autonomy, however I just want to learn more.

I wish you the best of luck! I think you would being an very interesting skill set to the profession.

The NP program consisted of master level courses which included:

[*]Advanced Health Assessment & Diagnosis 1

[*]Therapeutics 1 (basically a pharmacological course)

[*]Pathophysiology

[*]NP roles & Responsibilities

[*]Advanced Health Assessment & Diagnosis 2

[*]Therapeutics 2

My grades were all above 85.

What a shame that an experienced Nurse Practitioner like this would be held back by UG marks from almost a decade ago. Her clinical experience is so great that in my mind she would be a great MD candidate. Also, the fact that she wants to devote more years of schooling to become a doctor shows devotion to the field.

The NP program consisted of master level courses which included:

[*]Advanced Health Assessment & Diagnosis 1

[*]Therapeutics 1 (basically a pharmacological course)

[*]Pathophysiology

[*]NP roles & Responsibilities

[*]Advanced Health Assessment & Diagnosis 2

[*]Therapeutics 2

My grades were all above 85.

What I wasn't sure of was whether those courses could count - if the were UG courses then they would. Interestingly medical school is considered a UG program but these NP courses are not. So arbitrary.

• 5 years later...

Archived