Premed 101 Forums

Ask questions to current 1T6's

I have a few quick questions:

1. How many people typically have cars during clerkship? The admissions package mentions possible core clerkship placements in Peel, York, Durham, etc. That makes it seem like a car would be almost necessary, but one of the appealing factors of UofT for me thinking I wouldn't need to buy a car. What do most people do?

2. This is probably a silly question, but the admissions package talks about 4th year electives and "selectives". What is the difference?

3. Do people tend to travel during electives, or stick to Toronto? I think it would make sense to stay in town if you're hoping to stay there for residency, but I'm also interested in experiencing medicine in different settings as much as possible. Are there opportunities during summers to get clinical experience abroad?

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. How many people typically have cars during clerkship? The admissions package mentions possible core clerkship placements in Peel, York, Durham, etc. That makes it seem like a car would be almost necessary, but one of the appealing factors of UofT for me thinking I wouldn't need to buy a car. What do most people do?

Can't say for sure, but from what I have heard in talking with upper years/residents is that your clerkship rotations in 3rd year are PRIMARILY at your main hospital of your academy (Sunnybrook, St. Michael's, TGH/TWH) with other placements at the other hospitals in your academy. I don't think it is TOO common to be placed in Peel, York or Durham areas.

Mississauga clerkship rotations will primarily be based in Credit Valley and Trillium hospitals, perhaps with some scattered downtown (can't say for sure since no MAM students have entered clerkship yet)

2. This is probably a silly question, but the admissions package talks about 4th year electives and "selectives". What is the difference?

3. Do people tend to travel during electives, or stick to Toronto? I think it would make sense to stay in town if you're hoping to stay there for residency, but I'm also interested in experiencing medicine in different settings as much as possible. Are there opportunities during summers to get clinical experience abroad?

Just to clarify things my friend RevSphere18 said, but may be a bit off.

1) So the way it works with rotations is once you get your rotation schedule (ranking process), you are placed in a group and given all the available placements for all the available rotations for that group. Certain rotations are mostly done at the large academic centers. Others can be as you said in various communities. Its impossible now to know where you will be placed, and if you will need a car or not. You will find all of this out late 2nd year. From what I hear, having a car at least in years 3-4 is not a bad idea. A car isn't really necessary in years 1 and 2.

2) Electives vs Selectives. All of our electives are done Pre-Carms and are done anywhere. Selectives are mostly Post-Carms (with one 3 week block pre-carms). Selectives are like electives except I think there is a bit less leeway, from what I have heard you get to rank what you want to do from a master list (so its not completely open to do anywhere).

3) Electives are a good opportunity to explore other programs, and also make sure those program get to know you as well. This includes programs at UofT. I would say it wouldn't be very smart to do only electives at Toronto (unless you want something not very competitive). We get ~12 weeks of pre-carms electives, so you can mix it up with where you want to do them. Depending on which specialty you are interested in you will have to decide then how to plan that elective time. Also for placements in the summer there is ROMP (Rural Ontario Medicine Placement). Otherwise you can set up your own observerships/shadowing if you want. This just requires you to put in more work in finding someone willing to take you on.

Hi!

I am trying to decide between a couple of different schools and am having the same issues as everyone else in terms of workload etc.

I understand that passing and doing extracurriculars and shadowing etc is totally doable from what everyone else is saying, but is it significantly HARDER than doing all those things than at other schools? Do you have a lot less free time if you are involved in extracurriculars and studying than you would at another say (Queens, for example)?

On average, about how many hours a week do you guys spend studying (I know, it varies for everyone)?

I know you probably can't gauge this because you've only attended U of T but would you say that the students at U of T tend to have to study more to pass and spend more time in the library than students from other universities?

Thanks!!! :)

one more question!!!

from this link:

http://www.md.utoronto.ca/Assets/FacMed+Digital+Assets/1_ume/Preclerkship/STF2012Schedule.pdf

it looks like there are a TON of lectures. are there not some PBL/small group learning sessions also?

also do you find that the amount of time they give you to "study" is enough for doing observerships, etc?

Thank you!

one more question!!!

from this link:

http://www.md.utoronto.ca/Assets/FacMed+Digital+Assets/1_ume/Preclerkship/STF2012Schedule.pdf

it looks like there are a TON of lectures. are there not some PBL/small group learning sessions also?

also do you find that the amount of time they give you to "study" is enough for doing observerships, etc?

Thank you!

Wow - that is a LOT of anatomy. I knew it was heavy but that's even more than I had expected.

This might sound like a strange question but as someone who has never taken anatomy before, what exactly do you do in these labs?

Hi!

I am trying to decide between a couple of different schools and am having the same issues as everyone else in terms of workload etc.

I understand that passing and doing extracurriculars and shadowing etc is totally doable from what everyone else is saying, but is it significantly HARDER than doing all those things than at other schools? Do you have a lot less free time if you are involved in extracurriculars and studying than you would at another say (Queens, for example)?

On average, about how many hours a week do you guys spend studying (I know, it varies for everyone)?

I know you probably can't gauge this because you've only attended U of T but would you say that the students at U of T tend to have to study more to pass and spend more time in the library than students from other universities?

Thanks!!! :)

I don't think anyone can say that one medical school is "harder" than another. While we might spend more time studying for exams, other schools are spending more time on PBL and self-directed learning. It's more "how you spend your time" than "how much time you spend". I don't know if others will agree - but that's my impression from having interviewed at several schools and now attending U of T. You can always spend more time studying! haha

I'm personally involved in a lot of extracurriculars and still manage to study more than enough for all the exams. I can't really put a number on it as it varies from week to week based on how close an exam is. Close to an exam, I try to minimize commitments to other things - but if there's something I want to attend, I can always make it work.

As for the breakdown of lecture/PBL/seminar etc - the schedule you have posted is from Structure & Function, the first block of 1st year. There isn't PBL or seminars associated with this block. Once STF is over (mid-December) and you start Metabolism and Nutrition, you will have PBL twice a week, ~2 seminars a week, plus ASCM, DOCH, and lectures. STF is just a bit different from the rest of the curriculum!

Any other questions, feel free to ask!

Wow - that is a LOT of anatomy. I knew it was heavy but that's even more than I had expected.

This might sound like a strange question but as someone who has never taken anatomy before, what exactly do you do in these labs?

Labs are full cadaver dissections. You're put in groups of 8 students, and together you divide up and dissect 2 cadavers (1 male, 1 female). Usually you split into groups of 2 and divide the tasks. Once you are done dissecting your task, you present your dissection to the rest of your group so everyone can learn!

Also, over the course of the 2 months of Gross Anatomy you will dissect the entire body...so you start with thorax/abdomen - then progress to limbs and head and neck towards the end.

Labs are full cadaver dissections. You're put in groups of 8 students, and together you divide up and dissect 2 cadavers (1 male, 1 female). Usually you split into groups of 2 and divide the tasks. Once you are done dissecting your task, you present your dissection to the rest of your group so everyone can learn!

So with the amount of time spent in anatomy labs - how much is spent doing the actual dissection, and how much is spent presenting/listening to other groups' presentations? And again, sorry if this sounds goofy to people who have done lots of anatomy labs before, but what sorts of information is usually presented? What sorts of pre-lab and post-lab work need to be done, if any?

OKAY TIME TO DEBUNK THE BIGGEST MYTH EVER

YOU DO NOT NEED TO HAVE DONE SOMETHING IN UNDERGRAD TO DO WELL IN IT IN MED SCHOOL..

guys, there are people in our class who have never done science other than mcat and basic prereqs. I have NEVER done anatomy. And I did well. My undergrad was a lot of physio. And I did worse in Metabolism and Nutrition, even though my undergrad was in that stuff. I have never ever done neurology/neuroanatomy. I did/doing better in that course too!

Also there are people who NEVER come class. I for one dont study a lot. And im not a quick memorizer. Sounds wierd right. This is VERY MANAGEABLE. There are people in our class who are engaged, married, WORK, HAVE KIDS. THey get through it and more just fine, and so will all of you.

THis whole myth about UofT having to do so much studying is just BS. ITS MED SCHOOL! if you're not doing some respectable amount of studying, than something is up.

I travel home about every 2-3 weeks. I havnt missed a single NHL game this year. I have watched ALL my shows, AND MORE! And I passed, and shadowerd. Just like everyone else here :)

BTW...you will REALLY appreciate the heavier anatomy section by the end of the year. Once anatomy is over (first 10 weeks with dissection is a lot of work but still soooo much fun ..we are the ONLY ontario med school to do full body dissection..and maybe in the country..i think alberta does it too?? ) but after 10 weeks is up..the lecture hours is a lot lot light. IN MNU, we finished by noon most days in the latter 2/3 of the course.

Thats my rant. If you guys all say you did all 48 wonderful things on your ABS, and didnt BS it all, and actually did save a nation from war...you shouldnt have problems with managing med school...right?

OKAY TIME TO DEBUNK THE BIGGEST MYTH EVER

YOU DO NOT NEED TO HAVE DONE SOMETHING IN UNDERGRAD TO DO WELL IN IT IN MED

Just to clarify my post - I wasn't asking because I was worried about doing poorly, I was just genuinely curious what happens inside an anatomy lab.

Just to clarify my post - I wasn't asking because I was worried about doing poorly, I was just genuinely curious what happens inside an anatomy lab.

depending on how involved the dissection is, 3-6 hours dissecting, and then ~2 hours where each pair comes back to the group to present.

So with the amount of time spent in anatomy labs - how much is spent doing the actual dissection, and how much is spent presenting/listening to other groups' presentations? And again, sorry if this sounds goofy to people who have done lots of anatomy labs before, but what sorts of information is usually presented? What sorts of pre-lab and post-lab work need to be done, if any?

While anatomy lab blocks are scheduled for 3-4 hours, you will notice that as you progress through the labs your dissection skills will increase and it will take significantly less time to do the actual dissection. After that, it's up to you and your group how you want to spend the balance of the time. Some opt to review old stuff, some will present dissections, etc.

Pre-lab you should generally look over the dissection for that upcoming lab, at LEAST your section of the lab. Post-lab it's up to you how you want to review for the test: you can stay later in the lab to look over past dissections, you can go home and look through the anatomy atlas at prosection pictures, or you can go home and sleep :P

Hey guys,

Does anyone know when Orientation and First Day of classes is? I am going through the welcome package and that section was left blank.

Thank you!

I think it's on August 26th, but I'm not 100% sure. BTW guys, don't forget that the webinar for the St. George Academy is 2night @ 7 pm!!!

And thanks for you post Fanarkiii; it's very reassuring to have a couple of myths debunked :)

I think either way should be fine. You can call and confirm before the deadline if you are concerned.

Mailing it in is totally fine! Think about it - they have applicants from across the country and some applicants are possibly not even in the country at the moment. They wouldn't make someone from BC pay $600 to hand it in in person!

As for calling them - I don't think they will confirm anything because they are inundated with incoming paperwork. But rest assured that the Admissions Office will contact you if they don't receive anything. As long as you've accepted on OMSAS, you're safe. The tables have turned now - they want you to come to their school, and they will do anything to make that happen! They're not as harsh about deadlines and missing documents as they were before May 14th :)

How much OSAP loans + grants does the average medical student receive?

From the website:

During the 2011/2012 academic year, 73% of students enrolled in the MD program qualified for grant assistance. The average funding awarded to first year students was approximately $6200.00.

:)

Average OSAP loan amount, around $12,000-$13,000.

How much OSAP loans + grants does the average medical student receive?

My understanding from the numbers I'm seeing (I've talked to some peeps) is basically if you qualify for OSAP, then OSAP + UT Grants essentially cover your tuition. This SEEMS to be true for most people, though it's hard to say. I think there will be a few outliers but those students who qualify for OSAP appear to get about 12K OSAP + 6K in grants.

The financial webinar is also online now. The link is in the FB group

Archived