Premed 101 Forums

Ask questions to current 1T6's

Thanks schmitty & Leon!

Someone on the FB group mentioned that the stethoscope ceremony will be on August 20th (2nd day of O-week). Does this mean that we should purchase our own stethoscope prior to that?

(My apologies if I have misunderstood how the stethoscope ceremony works)

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stethoscopes can be bought later in a few weeks. You will get an email from orientation week organizers. In that you will have ALL the info to purchasing stethoscopes. Almost everyone gets the Littman Cardiology III.

In that email you will also find the order form for all other O-week equipment like shirt sizes, formal tickets etc.

So hold tight. You will all have a stethoscope YAY!

Oh btw, some people do choose to get the stethoscope elsewhere online. It may be cheaper. but I think most people just ordered online and spent a few extra so all there O-week stuff could be together, and to not deal with all the shipping stuff. If you choose to get a steth on your own, you need to make sure itll be before the ceremony. Everyone brings the steth (regardless of where it is bought from) to the ceremony :)

May I know how much the stethoscope would cost if ordered from the orientation package? Are all colours for the Cardiology III available or only a select few? Would laser engraving be included for free?

Sorry for asking so many questions! :P

All information will be available once the orientation website goes online!

Guest Fresh_Underwear
May I know how much the stethoscope would cost if ordered from the orientation package? Are all colours for the Cardiology III available or only a select few? Would laser engraving be included for free?

Last year almost all stethoscope colours are available. I'd recommend googling the the stethoscope colours and look at more pictures of them before buying. Some people in my class were a little disappointed about how dull some of the colours are in person. Price-wise, they are cheaper than ordering from the bookstore. You will also need to buy some of your gears to do physical exams when you guys have ASCM later in the year. Things you also need includes blood pressure cuffs, reflex hammer, tuning forks, which will be on sale for you guys (from what I've heard) either during orientation or sometime early in the fall.

I don't think you get laser engraving (It's not Apple :rolleyes:), you can engrave it yourself if you want.

Stethoscopes can be bought later in a few weeks. You will get an email from orientation week organizers. In that you will have ALL the info to purchasing stethoscopes. Almost everyone gets the Littman Cardiology III.

In that email you will also find the order form for all other O-week equipment like shirt sizes, formal tickets etc.

So hold tight. You will all have a stethoscope YAY!

You probably just doubled my excitement for August. I didn't know it was possible!

Last year almost all stethoscope colours are available. I'd recommend googling the the stethoscope colours and look at more pictures of them before buying. Some people in my class were a little disappointed about how dull some of the colours are in person. Price-wise, they are cheaper than ordering from the bookstore. You will also need to buy some of your gears to do physical exams when you guys have ASCM later in the year. Things you also need includes blood pressure cuffs, reflex hammer, tuning forks, which will be on sale for you guys (from what I've heard) either during orientation or sometime early in the fall.

I don't think you get laser engraving (It's not Apple :rolleyes:), you can engrave it yourself if you want.

3M Littman provides free laser engraving if yoi order it directly from them, so I was hoping that that would be provided too.

Thanks for your reply and clearing that up! :)

Hmm... I just find it disconcerting that since I was accepted (and sent in my deposit + confirmed on OMSAS), that I didn't hear anything back from U of T. It doesn't feel that I'm in, and yet I'm in... Such a weird feeling.

Anyone else feel this way? What can be done about this feeling? U of T doesn't confirm receipt of docs, so when will it become 'official' that I'm registered in 1st year of Med?

I've found using a patient ID type label with my name/email written on it and then wrapping it around the "Y" part of my scope is pretty effective way of identifying your stethoscope for the inevitable million times you'll leave around lying around the ward/OR.

Hey!

Can anyone comment on whether or not it is possible to do research/work a part-time job during the regular academic semester? If possible, kindly provide the number hours per week too.

Can anyone also provide an approximate day-by-day breakdown of how a typical week would look like? How long are lunch breaks? (I really look forward to my breaks :D)

Thank you!

Hey!

Can anyone comment on whether or not it is possible to do research/work a part-time job during the regular academic semester? If possible, kindly provide the number hours per week too.

Can anyone also provide an approximate day-by-day breakdown of how a typical week would look like? How long are lunch breaks? (I really look forward to my breaks :D)

Thank you!

I hope so as I plan on working part-time in my current job (probably 5-10 hours/week) plus TAing (about 75 hours over the first 4 months)

Hey!

Thank you!

I would say it is definitely possible, since there are people in our class that do this. They also have 20 month CREMS that runs through the school year so it must be "doable" or else the program wouldn't exist. That being said I will let someone else comment on the school-research-social life balance (which I assume would be pretty tight).

day-to-day break down really depends on the day and what block your in (and even what part of that block!). STF has very few days off (and even those days we did get off were normally around an exam so you spend it studying). MNU and BRB we had more time off. Lunch breaks are usually an hour, but if you have the afternoon off can be as long as you like ;)

Here are the schedules for the school year by blocks:

http://www.md.utoronto.ca/Assets/FacMed+Digital+Assets/1_ume/Preclerkship/STF2012Schedule.pdf

http://www.md.utoronto.ca/Assets/FacMed+Digital+Assets/1_ume/Preclerkship/MNU2012-13Schedule.pdf

http://www.md.utoronto.ca/Assets/FacMed+Digital+Assets/1_ume/Preclerkship/BRB2013Schedule.pdf

Remember the only things that are Anatomy labs, PBL tutorials, ethics seminars, DOCH field visits/tutorials, and of course ASCM

I had an an average of two hours of class per day in undergrad in my third and fourth year so this adjustment is going to be interesting...

You and me both...I also made it so that my earliest class was around noon for my last two years :-)

Though I have been done my undergrad for 4 years now so it'll be even more of an adjustment for me!

Speaking of questions, I want to TA a lab that is 3 hours per week during the day either Thursdays from 2-5pm, or Fridays from 9-12 in the morning. Which of these is less likely to be something mandatory? Or perhaps it changes a lot each year so that I have to wait until the schedule comes out?

You and me both...I also made it so that my earliest class was around noon for my last two years :-)

Though I have been done my undergrad for 4 years now so it'll be even more of an adjustment for me!

Speaking of questions, I want to TA a lab that is 3 hours per week during the day either Thursdays from 2-5pm, or Fridays from 9-12 in the morning. Which of these is less likely to be something mandatory? Or perhaps it changes a lot each year so that I have to wait until the schedule comes out?

Friday morning will be ASCM. Mandatory mandatory mandatory.

Thursday afternoon will be variable, but likely lecture or dissection, at least during first term. I wouldn't commit to anything just yet if I were you.

I was out of undergrad for 3 years before I started, there was a slight adjustment but things pick up so fast that you get use to it yourself pretty quickly too.

One thing that wont change is Friday morning ASCM (clinical skills). That is mandatory and you don't want to miss it either because it's stuff you want to learn.

Archived