Premed 101 Forums

Canadian friendly US schools

I have a question for people applying to American schools or have applied already, how much more expensive is it than Canadian schools and how will you pay it all off in the end?

Insanely more expensive not sure how these people are affording it. Rich parents I presume. Some of the private school are 80k a year for just tuition, nothing else. Add to that instruments books and the high cost of living in the big US cities (at least another 30k). Probably comes to around 130 k a year. You looking at around half a million dollars for the whole program.

I have a question for people applying to American schools or have applied already, how much more expensive is it than Canadian schools and how will you pay it all off in the end?

Just a rough estimate of the numbers that were presented to me when I was interviewed in American schools: $400 000 (tuition and living for all 4 years)

whereas in Canadian schools its roughly around $200 000

Just a rough estimate of the numbers that were presented to me when I was interviewed in American schools: $400 000 (tuition and living for all 4 years)

whereas in Canadian schools its roughly around $200 000

except UBC, which is much more than other canadian dental schools.

Not all american schools are $400k. Many of the state schools are cheaper options that aren't too much more than Canadian schools.

Many different schools have hidden scholarships that they will offer those of you who are lucky, only after you interview. Penn have a pretty famous one where they pay for half your tuition for 20-25 of the top entering students. I know UMDNJ has a sweet scholarship too, but don't know the details.

Canadian student loans will give you 10-15k / year. Interest free till you stop full-time studies.

You can maybe work a bit in the summers?

The rest will have to be familial support and private bank loans (TD bank, Royal Bank of Canada, etc - but someone else may need to co-sign for your loan). The US government will not help you if you are not an American.

Fact of the matter is, that Dental education is expensive in both canada and the USA. It sucks.

Does anyone know how much UBC actually costs per year?

It says on their website it's around 50k for tuition, but there are always hidden costs like loupes etc.

Hrm.. hidden costs are hard to predict. I think they try and put their best estimate of the actually cost of attendance to help students out with loans and budgeting. The USA is good about this, because the more the schools disclose as the official educational expense: the more the american dental students can get from the government. So in USA schools' views, it is better to overestimate than underestimate...

Do I need to create an account for AADSAS? Or can I just apply directly from the university website?

Not gonna lie, it sounds like you're already in a little over your head.

Register at http://portal.aadsasweb.org. This is your primary electronic application through which you will submit your transcripts to be GPA-verified, reference letters, fill out your personal statement, extracurriculars, personal info, etc.

Supplemental applications can either be access from the school's website or they'll be emailed to you after you submit your primary AADSAS application. Depends on the school, so do research into each and every school you want to apply to before applying for it. Each will have different requirements/recommendations/procedures for supplementals.

Canadian DAT scores must be sent to schools individually via the CDA website.

I suggest you start reading a LOT on the Pre-Dental forums at StudentDoctorNetwork. Premed101 isn't really the place to be discussing American admissions. You won't get nearly as much info. Good luck.

Archived