Premed 101 Forums

ipad vs ipad mini?

I have a mini and love it. It is perfect. I download all of my lectures and store them in files according to the block and week within that block and annotate them, and store a bunch of text books on it. All stuff you can do with a regular ipad of course, but the mini fits comfortably in my white coat pocket!! I don't find it too small at all, haha, and I have crap eyes. It's about the size of your average novel. I highly recommend it.

I have a mini and love it. It is perfect. I download all of my lectures and store them in files according to the block and week within that block and annotate them, and store a bunch of text books on it. All stuff you can do with a regular ipad of course, but the mini fits comfortably in my white coat pocket!! I don't find it too small at all, haha, and I have crap eyes. It's about the size of your average novel. I highly recommend it.

My parents got me a mini when I got accepted - soon I'll be looking for the right apps to upload lectures and textbooks :D

Hey, I would get at least 32 GB that's what I have and it's probably the minimum I would get. I wouldn't bother shelling out extra money to get one with cellular if you have an iPhone. If I am going to be on the Internet and want to use my iPad I just set up a hotspot with my iPhone and then I'm good to go!

The trouble with ipads is where you care going to set them down ALL the time - they are a bit big for pockets in coats etc, and you cannot take things into rooms infection risks, ORs, etc, etc. I managed it in clerkship but it was also easy and I was worried from time to time that it would walk off.

• 2 weeks later...

If you're in the market for this kind of device, I would highly recommend shedding the Apple infatuation that is probably a little behind the times now. Check out the Google Nexus 7 tablet. Better screen, better value. I love it. Check out reviews, they are mostly 4.5 -5 stars across the board. As for less apps in the android marketplace, you'll see that there are very few apps that you really need once you are immersed in clinical work.

My 2 cents.

UBCmed09

• 3 weeks later...

I've had both, and think I'm picking up a mini tomorrow, I'm actually surprised, prices have really dropped... I agree, if you have any smart phone just get the wifi, the plan's sorta overkill since there's wifi everywhere.... including from your phone, haha!

Hey, I would get at least 32 GB that's what I have and it's probably the minimum I would get. I wouldn't bother shelling out extra money to get one with cellular if you have an iPhone. If I am going to be on the Internet and want to use my iPad I just set up a hotspot with my iPhone and then I'm good to go!

lol, my collection of texts is like 3 tons, i for some weird reason lke physical books, and printed journal articles. ipads and such i find better for looking things up on the go to me .

thanks for the helpful info! how large are electronic textbooks on average? i'm thinking of getting a 32gb one but i'm worried that won't be enough space to fit textbooks + lectures + apps etc etc

Even 16gb is enough if you're looking just for apps and documents. Mine is pretty full thanks to my music collection.

Otherwise the mini is great, and I really do prefer to smaller size. The only problem (and this may hold for the regular size iPad too) is that large documents (e.g. hundreds of mbs) make it crash.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived