Premed 101 Forums

YorkU President stoops low

IamIDP

I just got this email from YorkU. I find it disgusting that the president is stooping this low to request 50,000+ students to vote for him, this just gives all the other applicants a disadvantage. What do you guys think? Should he have done that?

Dear _____,

Vote today for President Mamdouh Shoukri as one of RBC's Top 25 Canadian Immigrants.

We need your support!

President and Vice Chancellor Mamdouh Shoukri is one of 75 final nominees for the fifth annual RBC Top 25 Canadian Immigrant Awards. This honour identifies and celebrates the inspriring stories and achievements of Canadian immgrants from all walks of life.

Dr. Shoukri, who was recently appointed to the Order of Ontario by Lieutenant Governor David Onley, is recognized for his visionary leadership that has brought both McMaster University and York University to international prominence.

He has led York into an era of international expansion and environmental sustainability and has advanced engineering and life sciences research and education.

"The RBC Top 25 Canadian Immigrant awards recognize individuals from diverse communities who enrich Canada and make it a better place to live. We encourage all Canadians to support and vote for these extraordinary individuals who are making a difference in their country and communities," said Paul Sy, director, Multicultural Markets, RBC.

The deadline for voting is May 13, 2013.

Please consider voting for Dr. Shoukri online at http://canadianimmigrant.ca/canadas-top-25-immigrants . It will only take a few minutes of your time.

Thank you for considering this request and your continued commitment to York University!

Sincerely,

Janet K. Morrison, Ph.D.

Vice-Provost Students

Division of Students

York University

How is this low? He's leveraging his position to help move up in the world. This is so common it's not even worth talking about. Also, if anything, it's not low because he's asking people who know something about him (or should). He's saying "You know I've done well at York, now show your support."

Maybe the difference is that students do not feel a personal relationship has been established prior to the request.

A personal realtionship on that level is impossible. He can't get to know every student. However, through his actions and the way he does his job, he can build his rapport with the students. Why do you think politicians get reelected? They don't have 1 on 1 relationships, but they do establish some relations with teh general population in other ways. It's the same thing here, and it shouldn't be discredited. This isn't to immediately say he's donig an amazing job. I personally don't know anything about him because I don't go to York. The point is that his method is not "low".

The merits of his performance are beside the point when it comes to the *perception* of students - judging by the posts in this thread, this rubbed a number of students the wrong way. I am merely speculating as to the factors leading to this perception - it's fairly safe to infer that those objecting do not feel much rapport, nor are they familiar with how he performs his job. I wonder about the effectiveness of the regular emails, video "fireside chats", and town hall meetings that I've seen other administrators initiate towards this end.

There may be in fact many events where the President has shown up to give talks, discussions, etc showing his dedication to the university. Many students end up ignoring these email invitations feeling they are a waste of time to attend (which is a valid reason).

Second, instead of focusing on what the president *has* done, at least know that York has not been driven into the ground because of something bad that *was* done. There has not been any major bad events that have affected York over the past years.

The merits of his performance are beside the point when it comes to the *perception* of students - judging by the posts in this thread, this rubbed a number of students the wrong way. I am merely speculating as to the factors leading to this perception - it's fairly safe to infer that those objecting do not feel much rapport, nor are they familiar with how he performs his job. I wonder about the effectiveness of the regular emails, video "fireside chats", and town hall meetings that I've seen other administrators initiate towards this end.

Well then I don't really give a damn in that case. People's "perceptions" are a dime a dozen. It doesn't have any merit, and regardless, people who would perceive this as "low" are acting in an illogical manner.

The other poster also made a good point about the fact that he tries to reach out to the York community but apparently people ignore the emails and attempts. If it's the same students who have this skewed perception of the president, then that speaks volumes.

Guest padag

Somewhat appalled at the notion that asking support from potential supporters using means within the rules of the competition is considered low.

I don't necessarily agree with what the guy does, but it's fully reasonable to ask for what he's asking for.

Maybe the difference is that students do not feel a personal relationship has been established prior to the request.

He actually gives students lots of opportunities where they can speak to him and provide him with their opinions but it is the student that choose not to take advantage of these opportunities.

I voted for him! I've got to speak to him once and he was very open when it came to issues concerning york... I even spoke to him about the possible medschool at york but unfortunately, due to the strike in 2008, that might not be a possibility anymore, atleast for now (they shifted their focus to the new school of engineering instead). If he hadn't sent the e-mail, people who would like to vote for him wouldn't have even known!

And what about all those students that harass you in the hallway to vote for them for their silly executive positions. At least he sent a polite e-mail and he clearly is "requesting".... he said "Thank you for considering this request and your continued commitment to York University!"... Therefore, if you don't want to vote, then DON'T. I can't believe someone even went through the trouble to make this thread.

Archived