Premed 101 Forums

Backpack color

You find out the colour whenever the first distribution day is. Since everyone gets theirs at O Week, we all find out whenever the first medical school to have their O Week gets their backpacks. Usually it's late July in Calgary, I think.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You find out the colour whenever the first distribution day is. Since everyone gets theirs at O Week, we all find out whenever the first medical school to have their O Week gets their backpacks. Usually it's late July in Calgary, I think.

That's really exciting :)! Do you also know who decides on these backpack colours?

That's really exciting :)! Do you also know who decides on these backpack colours?

I know the CMA/OMA have Facebook votes...they did it a while back, not sure if this is actually official or considered, however. If it were, I think it would be like gray/black each year.

When do we receive our backpacks? As early as O week or later on? Also, a side story:

I was in Hamilton for a weekend a few weeks ago unrelated to med stuff and I ended up having to take someone to MUMC. I was sitting in the emerg waiting room and a youngish man walked in. I thought to myself "I wonder if he's a med student?" Then he turned around to leave and I saw it. The backpack! I grabbed my husband's hand and gasped "Look!" Of course he had no idea what I was on about and when I explained it he said, "wow, you're an even bigger nerd than I thought."

Well now this nerd will have her own backpack!

RiverCityJill,

Before I got into Mac last year, I tracked backpacks for all of undergrad and then all of my MRS degree :). I know eXACtly what you mean.

Welcome to Mac, where our backpacks are always for the common graduation year -1 :). You'll get them during O-week the last week of August. It's a big day, trust me.

Am I the only one who thinks the backpacks are ridiculous? I used to mock the OttawaU med students who would move in packs of at least 20, blocking the damn hallways at RGN with their enormous matching backpacks. I will not be using mine, it would pain me to be seen wearing one.

Am I the only one who thinks the backpacks are ridiculous? I used to mock the OttawaU med students who would move in packs of at least 20, blocking the damn hallways at RGN with their enormous matching backpacks. I will not be using mine, it would pain me to be seen wearing one.

Haahahahaa, I also think the whole thing seems a little silly. They are like a coveted trophy for premeds. I'm not one to wear a sign on my back telling the world what I do, but I also like free things... so I haven't decided if I'll use mine.

Some people don't like them.

I do - partly as a trophy, not going to lie. I worked darn hard to get here and I like to feel like I got something out of it :P

But also because it makes it easy to ID my classmates and schoolmates. Helps more than you'd think in those first few crazy months.

I've rarely been identified by anyone other than medical students. Maybe once has a premed said something to me.

Oh you definitely will - right now there 3 people officially that know the colour - it is that kind of secrete :)

wow :eek:

Haahahahaa, I also think the whole thing seems a little silly. They are like a coveted trophy for premeds. I'm not one to wear a sign on my back telling the world what I do, but I also like free things... so I haven't decided if I'll use mine.

I like free stuff and trophies :P. I mean you weren't born a medical student; you worked hard to get to where you are. I don't think there is anything wrong in showing that you have earned the right to be medical student :)

Eh, free backpack's a free backpack. I probably won't be using it for day-to-day use since I already have one and I don't quite like the signal it sends, but I'm not gonna complain about getting one!

I'll probably use mine to start and see how it works. I've used my swiss Army one now for about 10 years, so it's time for a change, but it's hard to compete with nice SA bags!

Yeah...my swiss army bag has lasted my UG no issues...they make a nice bag, not to mention Costco's nice price...lol

I thought uOttawa doesn't allow the students to use the backpacks because the university doesn't allow corporate sponsorship?

hehehehehe well if the I found the bags are big because they are full of stuff (and I have a lot of stuff) - a group of 20 med students with any bag is going to block a hall.

I was luck enough to not understand these bags at all prior to getting to western - I went to Waterloo and Guelph and of course no med school = no bags. Never really heard of them prior to getting in so didn't understand the hype. At the time though my old bag was basically dead (basic MEC bag) so it was an easy switch.

Main draw back is not being identified by others I found - it is identifying your own bag in the pile of them at the back post exam etc :)

Pretty much no one outside med schools even knows/cares about them anyways... I never knew they existed before I was accepted into med school and I spent 8 years at UdeM and McGill which both have med schools.

I love mine.. It's big enough that I can fit my school things + my workout gear and it's stylish enough too. I really don't care what anyone else thinks about it.

hehehehehe well if the I found the bags are big because they are full of stuff (and I have a lot of stuff) - a group of 20 med students with any bag is going to block a hall.

I was luck enough to not understand these bags at all prior to getting to western - I went to Waterloo and Guelph and of course no med school = no bags. Never really heard of them prior to getting in so didn't understand the hype. At the time though my old bag was basically dead (basic MEC bag) so it was an easy switch.

Many draw back is not being identified by others I found - it is identifying your own bag in the pile of them at the back post exam etc :)

HAHA so true. The number of times I have reached down the wrong side of my chair in PCCM or PCCIA and started rummaging around in someone else's bag...

Archived