Premed 101 Forums

waitlist thread

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is very frustrating (although still grateful for this small bit of hope). Anyone know when's the earliest people have received an offer off the wait-list? Does anything change in the way candidates are ranked on the wait-list (i.e. do they look more closely at MCAT scores?)

nothing changes. All the rankings have been done. Lets say you've been ranked 260th, then u will be the first off the list if someone rejects (hypothetical number..cuz U of T over accepts). Keep your head held high. U of T waitlist is not a HUGE list. they really only keep people waiting if they think it is probable they will get in! There is still MUCH hope.

:)

Helloooo waitlisted folks!

I am here to give you a little bit of hope! It is true that the UT waitlist doesn't move too much, however, that doesn't mean that you won't get in. I was on the waitlist last year and somehow snuck in, so there is always hope!

If it doesn't work out this year, try again!!! Some of you might know that I had to try for FIVE LONG YEARS. Now that I am in, I am so happy I didn't give up!

GOOD LUCK!

On this forum, 7 people got off the waitlist last year and the earliest they started giving acceptances was 9 days after initial acceptances.

There is still a bit of hope for getting off the UT waitlist I guess.

I can tell you theres MORE than 9 people in our class off the waitlist. Id say close to 20?

Thanks for the info Fanarkii. Do you by chance happen to know when the earliest offers were given to the waitlisters last year?

I think I was right at the top of the waitlist and I heard on May 24th (First round went out on May 15th) - so before the 2 week deadline.

They were a lot better at maintaining the blog and twitter last year, and May 24th was the first day they said there was movement on there. They posted on twitter shortly after I got my email!

First and foremost, good luck to all of you who made it on the waitlist!

Your chances of getting in at this point - my wild guess: ~50%.

Note that you probably won't hear about too much waitlist movement from now until May 28th because that's the deadline for those who got accepted to reply to their offers of admission.

Then, there'll be some relatively rapid waitlist movement probably until mid- or end-June. After that, U of T will probably shorten up their waitlist and send a couple of refusals to people who are too low on the waitlist. Then, in early- or mid-July, the class will be full, and the waitlist will be further shortened to keep a couple of candidates in case that someone decides to drop out last minute.

From my understanding of how the waitlist works, U of T scores and ranks everyone post-interview and overaccepts by maybe 50 or so candidates (this is a wild guess based on the # of offers declined in 2007/08 and 2008/09 - AFMC). Then, a waitlist is established, and as spots open up, new offers are made to candidates still on the waitlist. Now, many candidates on U of T's waitlist may have been accepted elsewhere or may be on someone else's waitlist; many of these candidates will come off U of T's waitlist quickly and give a bit more chance to those who only have this one chance of getting into med school this year.

Bottom of the line is: take the waitlist as a 'you're a very good candidate who wasn't as lucky as the others who have been accepted ahead of you.' And, very importantly, play it safe, work on your plan B in the meantime (if you don't have one, figure one out), and don't waste time and energy worrying about getting in anymore. It may help if you pretend that you've been rejected and start thinking about the next application cycle.

Last year, I was on the waitlist but never got off of it. Fortunately, I had a good summer and didn't stay stuck on this detail (I intuitively felt that I wasn't ranked high enough on the waitlist to be accpeted).

Hopefully, many of you guys will have better luck than I had last year and get off of it. Note that if you do get an offer, it will be a bit more likely to be @ MAM.

Importantly, if your MCAT scores are a bit rough, you may want to take the risk of trying to increase it! I would suggest reserving seats asap, as you might not get one later. This is a good safe measure, and if you get off the waitlist, then no mcat rewrite, but if not, you have that backup.

I think I was right at the top of the waitlist and I heard on May 24th (First round went out on May 15th) - so before the 2 week deadline.

They were a lot better at maintaining the blog and twitter last year, and May 24th was the first day they said there was movement on there. They posted on twitter shortly after I got my email!

Thanks for the info! It seems like it's pretty close to the 2 week deadline still.

UT was my only interview and I was waitlisted!

I am already trying to move on, focusing on my research/publishing and also the MCAT! (there's no available MCAT seats right now -_-), and the AMCAS med apps came out for 2014! I still have some hope (only a tiny bit!) because this year has been a rollercoaster ride already... I don't want to get my hopes up again.

Good luck to those on the waitlist :)

How are others coping with their pending status? I'm taking this alot harder than I thought I would (mainly because this my 3rd time applying and I don't have a solid back up plan for next year). This weather is also not helping.

Also, thank you so much to those who are in this thread, hanging in there with us and trying to provide comforting words. It helps more than you'll ever know.

How are others coping with their pending status? I'm taking this alot harder than I thought I would (mainly because this my 3rd time applying and I don't have a solid back up plan for next year). This weather is also not helping.

I definitely know how you are feeling (however this is my second time applying)! I was okay with it at first because it's better than a rejection! At least we are in the right direction! However, later today I broke down and cried because I wanted UT soo badly!

I definitely know how you are feeling (however this is my second time applying)! I was okay with it at first because it's better than a rejection! At least we are in the right direction! However, later today I broke down and cried because I wanted UT soo badly! I don't have a solid plan either but I am trying to move on already and I am planning to rewrite the mcat for the third time (while working two jobs!).

Keep your hopes up. My friend in the program took 7 tries but finally got in and she's wonderful and I'd be so sad if she wasn't here. Sometimes its a just a crapshoot, there's just so many factors that go into whether someone is accepted vs. waitlist. Your time will come!

Does everyone get the same waitlist email, or is there a "good" and a "bad" wait list? This is what my email said:

The Faculty of Medicine has sent offers of admission to some applicants and refusal letters to others. Although we have made offers to fill all of the positions available in our class, it is possible that a number of the students to whom we have offered admission may not accept. We have retained your application on our waitlist, for further consideration should such vacancies arise.

If necessary, further offers will be made as places become available, and this process will continue until our class has been filled. Please verify the address listed. If you have moved, please ensure that we have on file your new address and a telephone number (home and/or business) where you may be reached during business hours. Please send this information to us in writing, as well as informing OMSAS. The above address is what we have on file as your address for the summer.

I know that you are very anxious about the outcome of your application to medical school, but at this time we cannot give you any further information about the status of your application or your position on our waitlist. We have no way of predicting how many or if any offers of admission will need to be made to waitlisted candidates. I assure you that we will convey the final decision on your application as soon as we are able.

Does everyone get the same waitlist email, or is there a "good" and a "bad" wait list? This is what my email said:

The Faculty of Medicine has sent offers of admission to some applicants and refusal letters to others. Although we have made offers to fill all of the positions available in our class, it is possible that a number of the students to whom we have offered admission may not accept. We have retained your application on our waitlist, for further consideration should such vacancies arise.

If necessary, further offers will be made as places become available, and this process will continue until our class has been filled. Please verify the address listed. If you have moved, please ensure that we have on file your new address and a telephone number (home and/or business) where you may be reached during business hours. Please send this information to us in writing, as well as informing OMSAS. The above address is what we have on file as your address for the summer.

I know that you are very anxious about the outcome of your application to medical school, but at this time we cannot give you any further information about the status of your application or your position on our waitlist. We have no way of predicting how many or if any offers of admission will need to be made to waitlisted candidates. I assure you that we will convey the final decision on your application as soon as we are able.

This is the exact same e-mail I received. I think there is only one type of waitlist for Toronto (unlike Ottawa's).

Same here. Exactly what I received last year. I got this invitation only a few days before they decided to shut down the waitlist to a handful of applicants in case someone decides to leave during orientation week. See below for that blog entry: http://utmedadmissions.wordpress.com/2012/06/

Also, it seems like end of June was when there were no (or very little) movements in the waitlist. http://utmedadmissions.wordpress.com/2012/07/16/we-are-full-for-now/

Does everyone get the same waitlist email, or is there a "good" and a "bad" wait list?[/i]

There's only one waitlist @ U of T; they accept, waitlist only what's necessary, and reject the rest. Most waitlist movement will occur late-May to late-June. After that, they'll probably cut the waitlist and send some more rejections. For the rest of the summer, they'll keep a very short waitlist in case someone drops out last minute (most likely someone @ MAM).

Good luck to all waitlisters !!!

Okay, so who wants to sneak into the admission's office and have a peek at the wait-list?

I swear, time has slowed down to a halt. This is what approaching a black hole must feel like (or look like to the observer)---ahh, even my jokes are lame.

what to do...

Archived