Premed 101 Forums

waitlist thread

Ughh This is the longest year ever! so much waiting! :mad:

Applying to med school is a very,very long waiting game that can span over years (like it did for me) !!! It's very frustrating indeed to be kept in the dark for so long. I suggest you move on and pretend that you made it close but were rejected; that way, you can focus on improving your ECs and the like while maintaining a positive attitude (because you did come very very close to getting in if you're on U of T's waitlist).

Good luck to you all waitlisters (I've been in your shoes last year) !!!

BTW, if you're on the waitlist and get an offer, please let us know on this forum ASAP. It's always very interesting to track waitlist movement (esp. for those who are on it).

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey waitlisters,

Someone mentioned that people who got accepted into the Mississauga Academy of Medicine are more likely to pass on the opportunity if they got accepted elsewhere. This probably is true because Mississauga seems a bit less exciting than Toronto or some other metropolitan hub. I thought I was the only one, but it turns out at MAM there are a few of us that got off the waitlist (maybe 6?).

But don't be fooled by thinking MAM isn't as cool as St. George campus! MAM has a lot of stuff going for it! If you get into MAM, you will be thanking your lucky stars come Structure and Function/Brain and Behaviour bellringer time!!!! And it is super easy to shuttle back and forth if you need to experience downtown Toronto life!

MAM is the best. That is all i have to say! :)

Hey waitlisters,

Someone mentioned that people who got accepted into the Mississauga Academy of Medicine are more likely to pass on the opportunity if they got accepted elsewhere. This probably is true because Mississauga seems a bit less exciting than Toronto or some other metropolitan hub. I thought I was the only one, but it turns out at MAM there are a few of us that got off the waitlist (maybe 6?).

But don't be fooled by thinking MAM isn't as cool as St. George campus! MAM has a lot of stuff going for it! If you get into MAM, you will be thanking your lucky stars come Structure and Function/Brain and Behaviour bellringer time!!!! And it is super easy to shuttle back and forth if you need to experience downtown Toronto life!

MAM is the best. That is all i have to say! :)

I admit I was slightly disappointed to get MAM when I first received the email. But ditto everything Noodle said. St.George does not get 24h access to the dissection rooms whereas we do.

I noticed that the time stamp on my waitlist email is a different (by a few minutes) than the time stamp on one of the waitlist posts on this forum.

Does this mean anything?

I would suggest to not read too much into it...

I wouldn't read too much into it facebook numbers are not accurate.

Also it is way too early... A lot of people are waiting for the deadline to make a choice.

Yeah all of those facebook groups are usually flooded with eager med students hoping to great you in etc :) I wouldn't use those as a tracking system.

We are really early in this right now.

I really hope this helps ease anxiety

the U of T group for 1T7 is NOT all new students. It was created the night before May 14th, and even before decisions were put out, we had about 100-170 members already.

Its FILLED with 1T6's. Almost all of us actually. and A large amount of 1T5's.

SO PLEASE do not use the UofT group as a means to measure how full the class is. I did that while I was on the waitlist last year...disastrous mistake. The 1T6 group itself has 427 members. Remember class size is 259..see! :)

I just did a rough estimate of the number of new students I could see...looks like about 100-130ish. Again, some people may be in the group because:

- they are getting questions answered while they decide on multiple schools

- some people have accepted, and are not in the group and vice versa

etc

Way easier said than done.

I think the best advice now..(not to get ANYONES hopes down) but to plan for next year. This doesn't mean you're admitting defeat, but if things dont go as well as we are all hoping, then you may get caught up in a big mess.

Personally I wasnt too happy with my MCAT score thanks to damn verbal. In fact I had an 8 in verbal so I got lucky even interviewing at UofT. So as soon as I got wait listed I was advised to think about doing MCAT again. I waited too long, and found that I couldn't get a seat anymore. THANKFULLY I got in, but if I hadn't, I wouldn't be able to write the MCAT again, and would have to bank on the 8 in verbal again.

So if you are thinking about rewriting, act quick. Otherwise, its time to think about how you could get that slight edge for next year. YOU'RE ALL highly qualified, and you are made to get in. Its an unlucky break.

So if I understand this correctly:

-most waitlist offers will go out late may-mid June after deadline for initial offers

-then sometime late June a shortened waitlist will be made (does anyone know roughly when we should expect to receive regrets/shortened waitlist notifications?)

Its only been a few days but this taking a toll, really need to find a way to take my mind off of this!!

yeah dont look too much into the fb group. I am a current student and I am part of 1T5, 1T6, and 1T7 facebook groups. A lot of people join multiple groups to help out incoming students as well as to keep up with things going on around campus (clubs, meetings, social events, etc) that might only be posted in one group.

There is hope for you waitlisters! I was a waitlister also and into st george! I agree with what the other person said about trying to assume you were close but it is a no and try to enjoy your summer. Assume that if you are going to get in than it will be in the week before or after everyone in ontario has to pick a school, and try to limit obsessive email checking outside of those 2 weeks.

You're on the waitlist (vs rejected) because U of T thinks that you are a high quality applicant who they'd be very happy to have in the class. so even if the waitlist doesnt work out for you this year, know that youve done enough already to be in that top group, and that even just a little extra work/school/experience or maybe just a bit of luck next year will be the difference. you're on there because U of T thinks you're great...so just keep at whatever you've been doing! good luck!

As Frank Barone would say, "Holy Crap!"

Accepted off wait-list

Time Stamp 3:34 pm

wGPA: 3.93

Words cannot describe the sort of relief I feel after having to deal with the weight of uncertainty for more than a year now. The last 2 weeks have been especially painful. I wish I could provide some sort of comfort to those still waiting, but having experienced it first-hand I realize it's a failed venture.

However, I'd like to share a quote that has helped me during this process:

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." Winston Churchill

Thank you all for the support you've given me during this difficult time.

As Frank Barone would say, "Holy Crap!"

Words cannot describe the sort of relief I feel after having to deal with the weight of uncertainty for more than a year now. The last 2 weeks have been especially painful. I wish I could provide some sort of comfort to those still waiting, but having experienced it first-hand I realize it's a failed venture.

Exactly how I felt last year. More relief than anything else. Congrats!!! St.George/MAM?

Archived