Premed 101 Forums

waitlist thread

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've accepted both for right now, and plan on giving myself the weekend to mull it over. Three days just isn't enough when both schools are amazing!

Wouldn't that be a little unfair to the med school administrative staff and others on the wait list?

Congrats on getting off the wait list though! :)

I don't see it as unfair, it's my spot to take or decline, and I have until the 24th to do so. I don't intend to rush my decision, since it's where I will be spending the next four years! I realize it's not fun for those on the wait list, but I intend to make my decision as soon as possible.

• 2 weeks later...

The list moved by 1 spot yesterday (someone I know got in). I don't think this info is useful for this year's applicants but for those of you applying next year- keep in mind that such slight movements can occur this late in the game.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
How late in the game does waitlist movement go? I have a friend who is waitlisted at UofT.

During my application year (2011-2012), it went into mid-June, that's when they shortened the waitlist (ie, rejected some of the waitlisted).

By mid-July, the waitlist is reduced to only a few individuals, just in case some person decides to drop out during orientation week.

No similar tweets was done for the 2012-2013 application year, so I don't know if there's a similar trend.

It seems that all the 4th year UG or people who took a gap year that got accepted have wGPAs of >3.95. And I saw some people getting rejected with around and above 3.92.

As a 4th year student with a 3.89 wGPA, should I even have any hope of ever getting out of the waitlist? I guess I was pretty surprised to even have gotten an interview and not be rejected straight away.

It seems that all the 4th year UG or people who took a gap year that got accepted have wGPAs of >3.95. And I saw some people getting rejected with around and above 3.92.

As a 4th year student with a 3.89 wGPA, should I even have any hope of ever getting out of the waitlist? I guess I was pretty surprised to even have gotten an interview and not be rejected straight away.

1. wGPA does not make it or break it now that you've had an interview. Same thing with interviews (unless you say something totally unprofessional).

2. Can you really verify the accuracy of the information that people are posting?

Whether or not you should have any hope of getting off the waitlist: Hope for the best, plan for the worst.

1. wGPA does not make it or break it now that you've had an interview. Same thing with interviews (unless you say something totally unprofessional).

2. Can you really verify the accuracy of the information that people are posting?

Whether or not you should have any hope of getting off the waitlist: Hope for the best, plan for the worst.

From the thread of those who got acceptances and posting their stats, their interview experience varied from terrible to 'extraordinary', but a 3.95+ wGPA seems to be the common factor. I know that each person's feelings about their interviews can be subjective and skewed, but they are admittedly unified by their stellar GPAs. Of course people might also lie, but who on earth would lie on the internet, right? :P

But we can't exactly call premed101 a representative sample of the incoming class, so there's that too I guess. I just had really great hopes for UofT, since I thought my interview went very well, but such is the black box of the admission process.

Has the waitlist ever moved before the 2 week post results deadline? From the past posts, it seems unlikely. I am just wishing and hoping because I am accepted into UWO which I am extremely grateful for, but my husband and family is in Toronto, and in his field it would be difficult to find a job in London.

A friend of mine is waitlisted. Looking at this thread people are saying that u of T overaccepts and that's why waitlist movement is slow? But I can't help but think that this is total BS. Why would a school over-accept? Is there a shred of proof for this??

My advice to all waitlisted folks is to not give heed on speculations/rumours. Keep your hopes up. Hopefully I will see you guys next year !! Good luck!

A friend of mine is waitlisted. Looking at this thread people are saying that u of T overaccepts and that's why waitlist movement is slow? But I can't help but think that this is total BS. Why would a school over-accept? Is there a shred of proof for this??

My advice to all waitlisted folks is to not give heed on speculations/rumours. Keep your hopes up. Hopefully I will see you guys next year !! Good luck!

See the similar UCalgary thread that links to a blog post from last year where they explicitly say they overaccept. It's actually a very logical thing for a school to do. Most have fairly predictable yields, and none get 100% acceptance/offer ratios. None. If I was U of T and always got around 80% accepting the offer (this is their historic average yield), I might overaccept by at 5%, maybe 10%, to account for rejections and deferrals while maintaining a conservative margin.

If a school wants the best students they can get, they need to get them as soon as possible - on May 13, rather than unnecessarily waitlisting them. That being said they have to err on the side of caution and thus usually get waitlist movement.

Has the waitlist ever moved before the 2 week post results deadline? From the past posts, it seems unlikely. I am just wishing and hoping because I am accepted into UWO which I am extremely grateful for, but my husband and family is in Toronto, and in his field it would be difficult to find a job in London.

In my year (2012 admission cycle), U of T was the first wait list to move (and it was on the Thursday before the 2 week deadline).

Archived