Premed 101 Forums

kaplan raw score conversions

Guest JGracie

Guest foos101

There may be a slew of people out there that would agree with the scales that Kaplan establishes, but it seems to me that they allow far too many questions to be answered incorrectly for double digits scaled scores. For example, I answered 17 questions wrong on the verbal section, from Test9, and still managed to pull off a 11... how is this even possible?:eek Honestly, last year while I was studying I averaged in around 9's and 10's on the verbal sections kaplan offered, but come exam time I scored a dismal 7. Has anyone else noticed this? Or did I just @#%$ out last year? By no means do I consider myself a good reader and I know scales are based on the distribution of how everyone else does but I am starting to wonder whether Kaplan designed the scales so that as you progess through their exams from 1 to 9, the scales are more forgiving and you tend to score better to give you a sense of false security. Any thoughts?

• 11 months later...
There may be a slew of people out there that would agree with the scales that Kaplan establishes, but it seems to me that they allow far too many questions to be answered incorrectly for double digits scaled scores. For example, I answered 17 questions wrong on the verbal section, from Test9, and still managed to pull off a 11... how is this even possible?:eek Honestly, last year while I was studying I averaged in around 9's and 10's on the verbal sections kaplan offered, but come exam time I scored a dismal 7. Has anyone else noticed this? Or did I just @#%$ out last year? By no means do I consider myself a good reader and I know scales are based on the distribution of how everyone else does but I am starting to wonder whether Kaplan designed the scales so that as you progess through their exams from 1 to 9, the scales are more forgiving and you tend to score better to give you a sense of false security. Any thoughts?

Kaplan instructurs have told me that students generally do better on the sciences and worse on verbal, no idea why?

BUt you are right, you can miss a ton for the sciences and get a high score but I felt that their questions were significantly harder, especially PS. When I did AAMC exams i thought PS was a joke compared to Kaplan.

The kaplan physical and biological sections are generally good practice. But, with VR I had the same problem. I was averaging around 10 on kaplan's VR tests but scored only a 7 on the real MCAT whereas the science sections i scored a lot higher.

For VR, AAMC is reflective of your score in my opinion.

yeah AAMC is the best hands down..

heresay is that 2 kaplan instructurs, as i mentioned, Kaplan FLs underestimate your science score, and overestimate your verbal score

TPR overestimates sciecne and underestimates verbal. Can't comment on TPR, but I can say that i was scoring 1-2 points higher on AAMC PS and BS than Kaplan. For verbal, i was doing better on AAMC cuz i thought it was easier in my opinion, i noticed the style difference and I preferred AAMC style better, but many of my peers would strongly disagree :D

I guess everyone's take is different. I find the PS and BS sections of Kaplans full lengths to be brutally hard compared to AAMC.

I agree with you DiscoDoc, and I felt that I could score better on AAMC even with kaplan's inflated raw scale score conversion, I guess doing a really tough test then doing an easier one does have its advantages!

compared to aamc, how much harder is the real mcat (each section)

is it safe to stay that scores will fluctuate only +/-1 in each section.

The scaling is brutal...u get 10 wrong and u can forget about double digits.

I would say so, the latest AAMC exams should be very reflective of your score, as they ARE MCAT tests. Most people say that the real exam is harder, but it is very well likely to be due to anxiety. Its much different writing an MCAT in the comfort of your own room/library with no stress vs writing it in an unfamiliar environment with all the pressure!

Archived