Premed 101 Forums

Med and dating

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure that some people do find someone during med school but then I was thinking about the transition to residency. You could end up pretty far apart and even if you're going for the same specialty it's still up to the CARMS algorithm right? Not saying long distance relationships couldn't work out just seems like it would be a pretty big strain going along with how hectic residency can be.

Finding someone where you do your residency seems like a good idea....Thoughts?

You could try couples matching :P I heard you can request to be matched at the same place as your partner. But that really narrows down your chances I suppose.

Sure that is relatively common - and not that bad odds really if you are broad enough.

It isn't just the same institution, you can couples match at near by centres as well. There are a few extra combinations that work that way.

Oh course it can fail sometimes as well. You are going to run into similar problems with a lot of high end professionals over over the place. Fellowships, and end positions as well. Same if your partner is any other type of professional - lawyers, engineers, business people, accountants etc, etc all specialize as well. This is one of the reasons it is hard to get rural docs - their partners also have to want to work in a rural area and have a profession potentially for which they can.

I have reviewed your post history and all I can say is ouch, girl. It is rare to determine one's character by their posts, but you have shown that your ego is gigantic. I know this is harsh, but people with your standards are likely to hit a high rate of divorce. I hope you find medical school humbling and treat a poor patient as well as a rich patient.

I'm not saying that people who make 40K are useless. Of course everyone plays their part in society and are crucial.

What I'm saying is that men that make 40K have no place with me.

I have a right to chose the life partner that I want and that will make me happy and everyone's ideals are different. There is no reason to bash the fact that I am more traditional and would like a husband that can support his family. Nothing wrong with this just like some people want to support their husbands on here.

It's all cool! Chill, please !

Same problem for any other s.o. when you do residency away. At that stage, career is the priority.

Is it crazy that I, at least currently, prioritize being close to my husband over the specialty of my residency? :confused: Because I can definitely see myself applying to CaRMS with a priority ordering for only institutions in easy commuting distance of our home. Life is more than having exactly the ideal career, it's about having the best balance of career and the other things that matter to you.

Is it crazy that I, at least currently, prioritize being close to my husband over the specialty of my residency? :confused: Because I can definitely see myself applying to CaRMS with a priority ordering for only institutions in easy commuting distance of our home. Life is more than having exactly the ideal career, it's about having the best balance of career and the other things that matter to you.

Nope - but a lot of people here are very singularly focused on career at this point. I mean for most people that is how you get into medical school in the first place. Only once you get there do perhaps other things crop up.

and in medical school you can see a bit of a change any way. I don't think if you asked broadly on this forum that about half the people would say they are going into family medicine and yet that is both the target and what we are approaching - and not just because people get rejected from other things :)

Things like lifestyle, family, etc begin to take a higher priority. After all what in the end is the point of having a huge salary all if you don't also have the "other things".

Exactly. My s.o. played an important role in choosing which school to attend. If I only had one choice, it would have been an unfortunate situation, but we are both continuing on our path to our dream careers with each other in mind. Should our paths separate us by distance for a while, I know that we have the commitment to make it through that time, so I'm not too concerned about it.

Exactly. My s.o. played an important role in choosing which school to attend. If I only had one choice, it would have been an unfortunate situation, but we are both continuing on our path to our dream careers with each other in mind. Should our paths separate us by distance for a while, I know that we have the commitment to make it through that time, so I'm not too concerned about it.

You were lucky to be able to choose! I'll be doing the distance thing for a while, unfortunately. But if you want it to work, you make it work. I'm hoping to be able to move back closer to home during residency. Maybe I'm just dreaming though!

Nope, I'm planning to do the same. My BF (who will be my husband by that point) is in law, and so when I'm doing my CaRMS ranking, cities that he will have the best opportunities in will be at the top of my list. I'll probably rank my first choice specialty first in those cities, and then rank second or third choice specialties in those cities over my first choice specialty in other places. We're a team - it's more important to me to be close to him than to have my first choice specialty far away. :)

Wow, what a thread!

I would like to hope that the women posting about the potential earning abilities of their mates are not concerned about the actual dollar amount, but perhaps are more concerned about the qualities and characteristics of the partner who earns (only) $40k a year?

For me, I am not worried about dollar amount. I don't plan on living a lavish lifestyle; I grew up without a lot of money and my parents taught me how to live a wonderful and fulfilling life on a budget. What interests me more is a man who has similar life goals, supports my choices and understands my work lifestyle, is intelligent, ambitious, has similar interests and is willing to share them and share his life with me. If the man with these qualities makes $40k a year, whats the big deal? For example, I am currently doing my Masters degree, and am surrounded by a lot of really intelligent, hard working, wonderful people, who don't make that much money, because they work in science. They absolutely love what they do and are really excellent at what they do, and that is more important to me than a huge salary.

Now, if you happen to find a partner with all of those qualities that also makes 6 figures, then that's awesome too. I''m just saying that as long as you find the characteristics you are looking for in a partner, the money they make (or don't make) should not preclude you from being in a relationship with them. Of course, that's just my opinion. :P

If you are crazy, then I am too! If I get off a waitlist and into medicine, my future plans will definitely depend on where my husband is in his career at that point as well. For this fall, all of my dietetic internship applications are taking into account his career and our current residence. I am applying to one that would require us to live apart for a year, but only because it perfectly matches my interests, and we've done the distance thing before (not ideal, but we know we can do it).

Wow, what a thread!

I would like to hope that the women posting about the potential earning abilities of their mates are not concerned about the actual dollar amount, but perhaps are more concerned about the qualities and characteristics of the partner who earns (only) $40k a year?

For me, I am not worried about dollar amount. I don't plan on living a lavish lifestyle; I grew up without a lot of money and my parents taught me how to live a wonderful and fulfilling life on a budget. What interests me more is a man who has similar life goals, supports my choices and understands my work lifestyle, is intelligent, ambitious, has similar interests and is willing to share them and share his life with me. If the man with these qualities makes $40k a year, whats the big deal? For example, I am currently doing my Masters degree, and am surrounded by a lot of really intelligent, hard working, wonderful people, who don't make that much money, because they work in science. They absolutely love what they do and are really excellent at what they do, and that is more important to me than a huge salary.

Now, if you happen to find a partner with all of those qualities that also makes 6 figures, then that's awesome too. I''m just saying that as long as you find the characteristics you are looking for in a partner, the money they make (or don't make) should not preclude you from being in a relationship with them. Of course, that's just my opinion. :P

Ambitious people will rarely be satisfied with making $40k a year unless there are some huge perks that comes with it like power or status, which hardly happens with that little money involved. But i understand what you are saying.

Ambitious people will rarely be satisfied with making $40k a year unless there are some huge perks that comes with it like power or status, which hardly happens with that little money involved. But i understand what you are saying.

Both of my parents are ambitious, however, they are satisfied in this range. It comes with the ability to have a great family life, etc. It's easy to be satisfied with 40k, it's PLENTY to live on. We still go on vacations every year and a half and support a five person family with it. Have new cars, etc. Just have to be smart with it.

Both of my parents are ambitious, however, they are satisfied in this range. It comes with the ability to have a great family life, etc. It's easy to be satisfied with 40k, it's PLENTY to live on. We still go on vacations every year and a half and support a five person family with it. Have new cars, etc. Just have to be smart with it.

Nice to see some reality in this thread instead of people just talking out their a@@.

Not going to med school but...

I would personally love to make more than my partner! That way I could work all day, get away from the messy house and noisy kids, and come home to a nice hot dinner freshly served by my dear husband.:)

I salute all of you who date and do med school. I can't imagine how stressful the school is already and then piling the organization of time with your partner on top of that.

Question on that: how far is too far and how long apart is too long apart for you? What strategies do you have for no time or LDRs?

That's what I'm talkin' about. That's how we do:D

There's something very appealing with having "less" income and managing it properly to meet your needs and goals. I feel excess $$ can change people whether they notice it or not. You start to lose touch with reality...

...just like this guy LOL

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2013/06/07/rich-saudi-prince-sues-forbes-over-wealth.html

Oh...and here he is on his 747 on his throne. Yes. A THRONE.

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u289/ukit23/alwaleed.jpg

Once you reach that threshold of lots of $$$, it can change you and you may find yourself wanting more...'tis a slippery slope!