Premed 101 Forums

Stethoscope

Hi! I was just wondering if the Litmann Classic stethoscope (for around $90) is okay for medical training? Or is the Litmann Master Classic (one-sided, around $115) better? Just asking because it will be a gift :) The more expensive cardiology ones aren't necessary in the beginning are they? Thanks in advance for any input :)

all you need for medical school is a stethoscope that has the following capabilities

1. bell and a diaphragm

2. compatible pediatric head

so i would recommend against the master classic as it does NOT have a bell side

classic II would be better except you might have to buy a cheap stethoscope for pediatrics rotations

im pretty sure they only sell the cardiology III's and higher at the sale though. Someone can correct me if they bought anything but that from the sale.

Yeah I think that's true at least for our year. Some one in my class did buy one of those electronic ones. I've tried those and it's quite neat, you can amplify the abnormal heart sounds quite a bit!

all you need for medical school is a stethoscope that has the following capabilities

1. bell and a diaphragm

2. compatible pediatric head

so i would recommend against the master classic as it does NOT have a bell side

classic II would be better except you might have to buy a cheap stethoscope for pediatrics rotations

The master/cardiology master stethoscope's don't have a bell because they rely on pressure as opposed to using a different side.

Light pressure = "Bell" for low-frequency sound

Greater pressure = "Diaphragm" for high-frequency sounds

There is an internal ring that the diaphragm presses against to make it act as a diaphragm. The better argument against buying the cardiology master style stethoscopes is the cost.

The flip side is that some of the older models aren't quite as good as the Cardiology III. You would be fine with them but the quality of sound is definitely better with the Cardiology III and there really isn't a good reason to put yourself at a disadvantage when you are trying to learn how to pick up signs.

http://www.amazon.com/3M-Littmann-Cardiology-Stethoscope-3128/dp/B000F4UOXY

Tadda! Obi to the rescue. Only 138 bucks :)

In the face of your $22 000 tuition don't feel guilty spending like 50 - 100 bucks more for a nicer stethoscope if you want it. Its gonna last you a long while and you're gonna be feeding uwo 22k every year :P. Its a pretty small amount in the grand scheme of things.

• 4 years later...

Hey everyone, just reviving this thread haha. Does anyone know if we will be able to order with engraving, if we wait till the stethoscope ordering day? Also, the cardiology III/IV meet the pediatric requirement right? So we wouldn't have to purchase anything separately for that purpose? Thanks! 

Archived