Premed 101 Forums

Hi everyone,

I'd really like to set up an ICU elective in the coming year and I know most schools require a minimum of 3-4 weeks. I've had to set up electives in some other areas first which unfortunately has limited my availability to two-week placements. Could anyone help me with a recommendation for a two-week critical care elective? Any help would be gratefully appeciated :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I did a 2-week ICU elective at U of A, it's my home school, though, so I don't know if it makes a difference. Officially, only two sites were listed as options, both at the regional/tertiary centres in Edmonton (Royal Alexandra and U of A Hospital), but I wanted an elective at one of the community hospitals. I had done my IM there and really liked all the teaching we got from the ICU docs. I just e-mailed the doc who was in charge of the ICU there and asked if I could join them for 2 weeks and it was easy-peasy. It was more of a shadowing elective as they don't normally have learners at that ICU, just an R3+ on call overnight and we happened to have a nurse practitioner student at the time. But I still got to do a few chest tubes/central lines, which was nice and I feel a lot more comfortable with the ICU environment and things like BiPAP, pressors, etc. I'm currently at a smaller residency program where the ICU physician is not necessarily even there at night, sometimes half an hour away, but I feel like if I got paged to do something there (which has happened to others already!), I could manage a patient reasonably well into the morning.

Let me know if you want the contact.

• 1 month later...
Med/Surg ICU at St Mike's in Toronto was great. You can definitely do 2 week electives in ICU at Dal (did 6 weeks as core and elective), and Queens's allows 2 week electives too, though unfortunately I had to cancel that one.

Hey A-Stark,

I was just looking at UofT's electives catalogue and the only med/surg icu option I saw was at Sunnybrook. I can't imagine that there wouldn't be one at St. Mike's. if you know where I could find some info, could you please send it over? I'm hoping to book an elective for next summer.

Hey A-Stark,

I was just looking at UofT's electives catalogue and the only med/surg icu option I saw was at Sunnybrook. I can't imagine that there wouldn't be one at St. Mike's. if you know where I could find some info, could you please send it over? I'm hoping to book an elective for next summer.

PM'd you re St. Mike's. Sunnybrook would also be a fantastic place to do an ICU elective.

Probably best email the electives coordinator (Sheila Binns) about that. The catalogue evidently isn't entirely accurate.

The only downside about Sunnybrook is that it's a *huge* pain to get there and it's pretty much in the middle of nowhere. St Mike's is a block from the Eaton Centre.

Archived