Premed 101 Forums

Registration with the Collège des médecins du Québec (CMQ)

dr.feras

Hi,

for all who got accepted to med this year, is there anything we can do to speed up the process of registering with the Collège des médecins du Québec (CMQ), the College of physicians and surgeons of the province of Québec, like police/background check, etc?

Ya, we probably don't need it at the beginning, but will be eventually required prior to the start of clinical rotations. An email was sent regarding language courses (http://www.medicine.mcgill.ca/ugme/studentservices/languagecourse_en.htm)

Not sure when the CMQ will want to see the documents, but in the "Application for Registration" section on the CMQ sites for students, it mentions:

McGill University graduates: Proof of knowledge of the French language

I think it will be good to be functional during clinical rotations but I dont think for CMQ, we will need until after residency, I know a few people who finished at mcgill and even doing residency who hasn't had to prove their proficiency yet. It says that's for med school graduates for licensing elsewhere in quebec...so if people leave and do a residency after their 4 years at mcgill, it makes no sense that they willl have to prove it before.

Ya, we probably don't need it at the beginning, but will be eventually required prior to the start of clinical rotations. An email was sent regarding language courses (http://www.medicine.mcgill.ca/ugme/studentservices/languagecourse_en.htm)

Not sure when the CMQ will want to see the documents, but in the "Application for Registration" section on the CMQ sites for students, it mentions:

McGill University graduates: Proof of knowledge of the French language

I personally think that it's more than good to be functional in French during clinical rotations.

It’s common sense. I mean, if a person decides to attend a medical school in Montréal, I think that such a person will naturally demonstrate an interest and some curiosity towards the population it serves. That’s the basis of medicine in a way.

While it’s probably possible to get by without French at McGill, many opportunities will be missed, and very special contacts with patients will also be missed. :)

Of course, I totally agree with you.

I was just saying for the purpose of Cmq registration, I don't think we will need to prove it until after residency as not everyone will stay in Quebec for residency so it doesn't make sense for them to require for everyone admitted to mcgill med

Of course, I totally agree with you.

I was just saying for the purpose of Cmq registration, I don't think we will need to prove it until after residency as not everyone will stay in Quebec for residency so it doesn't make sense for them to require for everyone admitted to mcgill med

yup agree

back to the topic, I guess the only thing one can do is just prepare the ID documents...

I personally think that it's more than good to be functional in French during clinical rotations.

It’s common sense. I mean, if a person decides to attend a medical school in Montréal, I think that such a person will naturally demonstrate an interest and some curiosity towards the population it serves. That’s the basis of medicine in a way.

While it’s probably possible to get by without French at McGill, many opportunities will be missed, and very special contacts with patients will also be missed. :)

You guys are going to help me learn, right? :D

Also, Dr. Feras, I'm just going to wait until registration, when they said they'll take us through the CMQ stuff. It probably won't take very long to get it all done, I'm sure.

You guys are going to help me learn, right? :D

Also, Dr. Feras, I'm just going to wait until registration, when they said they'll take us through the CMQ stuff. It probably won't take very long to get it all done, I'm sure.

From Aug 27th, no English with me ok? Just kidding :D I'm such a bad teacher in fact lol...

But it's just my perspective, it's mostly for your own learning experience too I think.

PS: I'm also just going to wait until registration.

+1

Many patients are francophone (40-50% in some hospitals) and students are expected to be fluent in French at the beginning of med-2. Sadly, it is not the case and many of my collegues are not able to conduct a conversation in French.

The lack of French exposition during BOM is a real problem for the non francophone students. As ICM starts in January of Med-2, many are shocked by how hard French can be.

I have seen residents and attending struggling with French and asked me to translate for them.

It will be better for you and for your patients if you can speak/understand the langage they speak. It is just a sign that you care and you are committed to them.

I agree that everyone should make an effort to learn French once they start mcgill but mcgill

does accept out of province and international students. It is difficult for someone to be fluent in French after only a year or 2 in Quebec. Thats not to say its a sign that they don't care or not committed to their patients. By that logic, Montreal has a diverse immigrant population, I have met patients that only spoke their native language and were asked to translate for them in terms of Vietnamese, Chinese etc...

+1

Many patients are francophone (40-50% in some hospitals) and students are expected to be fluent in French at the beginning of med-2. Sadly, it is not the case and many of my collegues are not able to conduct a conversation in French.

The lack of French exposition during BOM is a real problem for the non francophone students. As ICM starts in January of Med-2, many are shocked by how hard French can be.

I have seen residents and attending struggling with French and asked me to translate for them.

It will be better for you and for your patients if you can speak/understand the langage they speak. It is just a sign that you care and you are committed to them.

From Aug 27th, no English with me ok? Just kidding :D I'm such a bad teacher in fact lol...

But it's just my perspective, it's mostly for your own learning experience too I think.

PS: I'm also just going to wait until registration.

Haha I agree with you, I decided on McGill over Ontario in part so that I could learn some French, but I am a bit worried about knowing enough to function well in 2 years... I guess we will see how it goes!

Archived