Premed 101 Forums

Med Scholarship Decisions?

I found out several weeks ago about my Schulich Scholarship status but I think I applied well before the extended deadline!

If you're comfortable answering, was your status that you are getting one or that you aren't? I'm just wondering whether they'll let us know if we didn't get one or whether they'll only notify successful applicants.

If you're comfortable answering, was your status that you are getting one or that you aren't? I'm just wondering whether they'll let us know if we didn't get one or whether they'll only notify successful applicants.

I'd be interested to know as well. I received an email mid-June about regular admissions bursaries, but haven't heard anything about the Schulich Scholarships.

I found out that I got the 20K scholarship! :D

EDIT: I don't remember getting any emails regarding my bursary status though :confused:

I found out that I got the 20K scholarship! :D

EDIT: I don't remember getting any emails regarding my bursary status though :confused:

I think the "scholarship" is basically just a large bursary, so I wouldn't expect that you'd get any more in terms of the admissions bursaries from Western.

I think the "scholarship" is basically just a large bursary, so I wouldn't expect that you'd get any more in terms of the admissions bursaries from Western.

Ya that makes sense! I figured that I wont be eligible for any more bursaries after receiving that scholarship.

This info might motivate crimes. I would keep it on the down-low in person.

Though I understand this concern; I think it's highly unlikely! Be proud to have received the scholarship as it is needs based!!! If this is a means for motivating crime surely that is reflective of negative character trait and I imagine the exposure/shame associated with committing any crime against such a student is not worth losing a place in medicine!!

Either way debts will be paid off in the end; there would be no need for harm against another! That's just ludacris.

Though I understand this concern; I think it's highly unlikely! Be proud to have received the scholarship as it is needs based!!! If this is a means for motivating crime surely that is reflective of negative character trait and I imagine the exposure/shame associated with committing any crime against such a student is not worth losing a place in medicine!!

Either way debts will be paid off in the end; there would be no need for harm against another! That's just ludacris.

I think he said it as a joke...

I partly meant it as a joke. I exaggerated the effects but I can see how it could motivate feelings of envy. From what I understand, not everyone that is in financial need will get a big scholarship because of the limited number of them (assuming more students in financial need exist than scholarships, which is likely given our current and/or future respective debts). It could hurt those that are in more debt to see others with much help, but I guess those scholarships are there to avoid the possibility that one with more debt has less help than another.

Anyway, in the end, if the debts are payed off easily, as Tee says, it's all good and there should be nothing to feel bad about substantially.

I doubt fireflakes will see even one cent going into his bank account. Instead, the amount will be used to cover his tuition (which is greater than 20k)

Don't worry I did take a joke! But with the outstanding balance and living expenses, I'll still be in debt! Although I agree that its best to keep a low profile in-person.

I was just reading up on pasts posts about the scholarships and someone said that if you're being considered they will contact you for more information...can you verify this? Were you contacted for more information?

• 2 weeks later...
I have had confirmation from Norma that mine was renewed for this year, not sure about first years though, I'd figure that should be coming down the pipeline as it should be in before first tuition installment is due.. Good luck everyone see you soon! Get Pumped!

Looking at some of last year's posts there were some people that were asked for extra info and some people that found out they received the scholarship in September, but there has only been one bit of news this year from the person that got the scholarship.

Archived