Premed 101 Forums

Amount of SWOMENs Accepted

The class seems to be about 1/3 (or a bit more) SWOMEN. That's complete hearsay, but it's at least close-to-the-source hearsay :P

Keep in mind though, Western doesn't seem to have SWOMEN quotas or anything like that, just a preference for SWOMEN applicants - actual numbers vary year-to-year.

The class seems to be about 1/3 (or a bit more) SWOMEN. That's complete hearsay, but it's at least close-to-the-source hearsay :P

Keep in mind though, Western doesn't seem to have SWOMEN quotas or anything like that, just a preference for SWOMEN applicants - actual numbers vary year-to-year.

I thought somewhere on the White Coat ceremony slides they mentioned that SWOMEN this year were about 40%. My memory could be failing on me as it's being progressively erased to make room for ITM trivia.

I thought somewhere on the White Coat ceremony slides they mentioned that SWOMEN this year were about 40%. My memory could be failing on me as it's being progressively erased to make room for ITM trivia.

EDIT: There are 55/171 people that did their undergrads at Western (not the 55% I mistakenly wrote before).

And I believe they also said 55% of the class did their undergrad at Western?

I remember him saying that 55 people did their undergrad at Western (not 55% of the total class). That doesn't necessarily make them SWOMEN though. I don't believe any actual stats were given out during his O-Week presentation, unless I missed that part.

I remember him saying that 55 people did their undergrad at Western (not 55% of the total class). That doesn't necessarily make them SWOMEN though. I don't believe any actual stats were given out during his O-Week presentation, unless I missed that part.

I remember during undergrad oweek they said 85% of the students at western come from the GTA, although I could be mistaken.

I suspect the number is higher, because the reported number only includes the last institution attended prior to matriculation. Many might have attended western undergrad and did some other degree elsewhere. Either way, it's a fairly high number (the most represented institution...by far).

There was one slide during white coat that had the undergrad by university breakdown, ex. 55 from Western, 2 from Harvard etc. (It was right around the time they said the gender breakdown is 61% male, 39% female).

There was one slide during white coat that had the undergrad by university breakdown, ex. 55 from Western, 2 from Harvard etc. (It was right around the time they said the gender breakdown is 61% male, 39% female).

It's funny as many schools have the opposite breakdown by sex, ie: Calgary at 38% Male and 62% Female.

exactly :)

although it still is about 1/3 or so.

Yeah, I think the average in Ontario is supposed to be around 55% female, 45% male, but I guess last year Western had the same sort of breakdown with ~60% male.

class of 2015 had a skew as well.

One theory someone mentioned to me actually was that because the pool overall is around 55% women and some schools accept more women percentage wise than that there should really be another school with the opposite effect or there is a collective gender bias. Ha - western isn't always more men though, it doesn't have some engrained structural bias. You would expect variations I guess.

I remember reading an article on med school admissions that speculated that males have an advantage when trying to get accepted because:

1.) schools want to try and have a balance, since 55% of applicants are female that means fewer spots per female

2.) avg. gpa of men is lower. Again, since schools will go for balance men will be accepted with a lower gpa.

Unfortunately (for me, not for women) a lot of schools seem to be "too objective" and are actually seeing 60:40 or even 70:30 female to male splits. Stop being so fair medical schools!;)

class of 2015 had a skew as well.

One theory someone mentioned to me actually was that because the pool overall is around 55% women and some schools accept more women percentage wise than that there should really be another school with the opposite effect or there is a collective gender bias. Ha - western isn't always more men though, it doesn't have some engrained structural bias. You would expect variations I guess.

Could be because men perform better on the MCAT while women have better GPAs. I am not sure how true that actually is though (I remember reading about it and being surprised about the MCAT thing). Since UWO emphasizes MCAT more, more men.

Archived