Premed 101 Forums

Job Prospects for Physiatry vs 2+1 Sports Medicine

I'm the only one I know having this dilemma between Physiatry and Sports Med, so I'm hoping someone can give me some feedback regarding the job markets at the moment for these fields.

1) What is the job market like for a FM 2+1 in Sports Med? Is it difficult to fill a practice?

2) Are there enough spots for people graduating from a physiatry program within that same city, or do you have to be very flexible with regards to location?

3) Is it reasonable to do just 2 2-week electives for Physiatry as a minimum, so should I be doing more?

Thanks in advance!

• 4 weeks later...

Hey you sound like sombody going through CaRMS for 2015? Ill do my best to answer your questions.

1)I have only met a few docs with the 2+1 in Sports - there will be more in the future. Certainly I have seen some that essentially do solely sports med. My feeling is many have a mixed practice. Sorry not a great answer here.

2) Yes and no - depends where. Currently YES - many programs are hiring their grads. I have talked to enough physiatrists to know that this wont be the case in a few years so by the time you graduate. BUT many 'academic' citys still need communtiy physiatrists so if you didnt want to do hospital there is sufficient need. 2nd BUT most mid-large non academic centers dont have a physiatrist and dont even know how badly they need one - so even minor flexiblity would probably land you in an area you want.

3) Physiatry so far hasnt been super competitive as a whole, but can be competivie if you take certain locals (Ie since programs are so small 1 extra person wanting it can throw off the numbers). I have seen many that only do a few - certainly 2 is 'enough'. Physiatrists I think like to see you interest so doing more electives would show more interest - but so would doing complimentary electives. I can tell you most programs are looking for well rounded students.

I think you have to consider scope of practice between the two. Many 2+1 docs focous on athletes while PM&R tends to include chronic pain and less well conditioned sorts - Amputees, SCI, Stroke, Deconditioning post op. Maybe exploring that side of Physiatry will help you decide which you like more.

Also consider talking to your schools program director - they are pretty open and an excellent resource for these sorts of questions.

Hope this helps, If you have more questions I am sure the community here will be happy to try to answer them.

Archived