Premed 101 Forums

Derm advice for 1st yr med student

mariamkb

Hey!

I'm on my first year of medschool.

I am looking into dermatology and I have been reading a lot about how it is very competitive.

My question is:

what did you do exactly to build your CV and experience to increase your chances for derm? I don't know what type of research I should get myself into. I have opportunities in psychiatry research and ophto but I'm thinking maybe I should really just start with derm and show my interest from now.

thank you so much,

• 3 weeks later...
Hey!

I'm on my first year at Universite de Montreal Medical School and I completed a bachelors at McGill in Anatomy and Cell Bio.

I am really interested in dermatology and I have been reading a lot about how it is very competitive and how I should start preparing early.

My two main questions are :

1) the fact that University of Montreal Medschool isn't pass/fail, does it put me in disadvantage as opposed to a McGill applicant that just has a Pass (not honors) (hence no difference between a 65 and 80%). What is the importance of grades in dermatology applications. I finished the psychology module last month, which is the first final I had till now, and I haven't scored well at all and it's starting to make me anxious a bit. I would really appreciate any advice from your experience about the importance of GPA when applying to McGill derm of course, but also to other universities if you have any idea.

2) what did you do exactly to build your CV and experience to increase your chances for derm? I don't know what type of research I should get myself into. I have opportunities in psychiatry research and ophto but I'm thinking maybe I should really just start with derm and show my interest from now.

I know these are really broad questions and I read so many articles and posts from different people and I am more confused than ever.

thank you so much,

If you are interested in Derm, do derm research. Don't waste your time doing research for specialties you aren't going to rank #1.

Derm is pretty much the most competitive non surgical specialty. If you want a chance at it, you need to starting building your application now.

• 1 month later...

Archived