Premed 101 Forums

Interview Invite Thread

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know the breakdown post interview?

(15%AGPA + 40%MCAT + 45%MMI) X (rural co-efficient if >0) X (academic co-efficient if >0) X (socioeconomic and cultural diversity co-efficient if >0)

"Some components are valued more than others, which is reflected in the relative weights assigned to each component. However, the patterns of dispersal of individual components have the potential to alter the assigned relative weights. Components with larger variances can have greater influences on composite scores than intended. Such unintended altered weighting can be avoided through standardization."

This essentially means they take each component and standardize it via a 'z-score' before mathematically combining them to create the final composite score used for official ranking. 

There's also the other multiplier coefficients to consider. Here's a great article on how they introduced and implemented the rural coefficient http://www.rrh.org.au/articles/subviewnew.asp?ArticleID=1646 

(Note that the values assigned in this article and the statistical data they based it off of have are likely very different today as they are constantly adjusting things)

I haven't been able to find any information on how the academic multiplier works but probably in a similar fashion. The socioeconomic and cultural diversity co-efficient is new to this year and there's no information on how the scoring works aside from what I've seen in this article:

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/U-of-M-looking-to-make-changes-to-medical-school-admission-in-2016-303522391.html

Don't bother trying to independently add up your values from this (if you even met any of the criteria) because the way they incorporate it is confidential. As is the data they use to implement both other coefficients and the z-scoring. 

Trust me when I say combing through all of this stuff will just give you a headache because only the admissions office has the exact formulas for ranking. If you're done your interview there's nothing more you can do to influence your score so try and focus on anything else. If not - put this stuff aside and use the time you have left to hammer down some last minute practice. 

(15%AGPA + 40%MCAT + 45%MMI) X (rural co-efficient if >0) X (academic co-efficient if >0) X (socioeconomic and cultural diversity co-efficient if >0)

"Some components are valued more than others, which is reflected in the relative weights assigned to each component. However, the patterns of dispersal of individual components have the potential to alter the assigned relative weights. Components with larger variances can have greater influences on composite scores than intended. Such unintended altered weighting can be avoided through standardization."

This essentially means they take each component and standardize it via a 'z-score' before mathematically combining them to create the final composite score used for official ranking. 

There's also the other multiplier coefficients to consider. Here's a great article on how they introduced and implemented the rural coefficient http://www.rrh.org.au/articles/subviewnew.asp?ArticleID=1646 

(Note that the values assigned in this article and the statistical data they based it off of have are likely very different today as they are constantly adjusting things)

I haven't been able to find any information on how the academic multiplier works but probably in a similar fashion. The socioeconomic and cultural diversity co-efficient is new to this year and there's no information on how the scoring works aside from what I've seen in this article:

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/U-of-M-looking-to-make-changes-to-medical-school-admission-in-2016-303522391.html

Don't bother trying to independently add up your values from this (if you even met any of the criteria) because the way they incorporate it is confidential. As is the data they use to implement both other coefficients and the z-scoring. 

Trust me when I say combing through all of this stuff will just give you a headache because only the admissions office has the exact formulas for ranking. If you're done your interview there's nothing more you can do to influence your score so try and focus on anything else. If not - put this stuff aside and use the time you have left to hammer down some last minute practice. 

You're the best - thank you

• 10 months later...

Not invited.

OOP

AGPA: 4.33

MCAT: 520 (130/128/132/130)

No rural.

"Due to the competitive nature of the applicant pool this year, your application was not competitive enough to grant you further consideration." :(

honestly the OOP cutoffs are RIDICULOUS. I get the rationale..but still. 

Anyway, posting on behalf of my bf for stats sake:

Not Invited

OOP

AGPA: ~4.3

MCAT: 519 (130/128/131/130)