Premed 101 Forums

U of T Interview Discussion 2014

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Isn't it more like ~560 people interviewed? 80 people per day for 7 days? And last year they had 587 interviewees, so who knows!

Plus, I don't think they have a set number of interviews? (I mean I'm sure they have a general target) If there are a bunch of stellar applicants in the last batch of file reviews and they really want them in their class, they're not just going to go "Nah, no interview spots left, oh well".

I think? Otherwise the system of staggering file reviews would be grossly unfair. It also explains the random number of interviews like 587... You'd think if it was set it would be 600, or 550 or something.

I was just wondering if anybody has heard anything about post interview scores with this new format?

I heard they used to publish in the past that it was 60% "academic" 20% nonacademic and 20% interview.

(Also does anybody know what they meant by academic in the past because I feel like it wasnt just GPA)

The emphasis on strong academic ability is balanced by careful consideration of applicants’ non-academic characteristics, as described in the database under MS-3. Academic and non-academic “scores” from the file review are weighted at 60% academic and 40% non-academic, and the file review as a whole is weighted at 80% versus 20% for the interview. The Associate Dean Undergraduate Admissions & Student Finances has launched a critical examination of current admissions practices, with several research studies in 2011-12 aimed at better understanding and improving the process, as detailed in the database. The self-study was very supportive of this process, and recommended enhancements to the terms of reference of the Admissions Committee to clarify their responsibilities for regular reviews. These new terms of reference were adopted in January 2012.

So the scoring is 48% Academics, 32% (extracurricular, essays and reference letters), 20% interview.

This was for previous years, however I think they mentioned somewhere that they liked this formula and that it had been determined to be a good way of assessing applicants, so they might not have changed it.

I was just wondering if anybody has heard anything about post interview scores with this new format?

I heard they used to publish in the past that it was 60% "academic" 20% nonacademic and 20% interview.

(Also does anybody know what they meant by academic in the past because I feel like it wasnt just GPA)

They specifically said they are not disclosing a post interview scoring as of Feb 1st interview weekend. So either the dean has changed his mind since then, or what you are hearing is old data / guesswork

Doubt it. Another weekend means ~150 more people. They say on the OMSAS booklet that there will be approximately 580 interviews, which they should have with the current number of interview dates. Even adding another one day means going way over this number.

It is possible that they decide to add another interview day, but only invite a few more students (not filling the day).

I have a friend in UoT MD/PhD. She said there was a sign-up sheet to get volunteers for an interview in April. Not sure if she was trying to cheer me up for not hearing anything from UoT yet, but I doubt she would flat-out lie to me so... *fingers crossed*

Very interesting!

I have a friend in UoT MD/PhD. She said there was a sign-up sheet to get volunteers for an interview in April. Not sure if she was trying to cheer me up for not hearing anything from UoT yet, but I doubt she would flat-out lie to me so... *fingers crossed*

I wouldn't find it SO surprising... there seem to be hundreds of us still waiting, with either zero or close to zero spots left for the 29th/30th... you'd think they'd have sent out more rejections by now if that was going to be it...

Perhaps this is very wishful thinking. Also, you have a great username.

Wow! The U of T discussion thread does not disappoint. So many potential surprises. As someone who has still not heard anything yet, I really do hope they add extra interview days. :)

Good luck to everyone else in the same boat!

I'm assuming the source is the Dean. There's an information session on the day of the interview

Oh okay makes sense then. Still, I doubt they'd change the weight of things much given that they're only just implementing the new interview style this year, and there would be too many variables in optimizing their assessment.

It isn't a theory, its what they officially state on their website:

"Please note that the order of interview invitation or interview date does not reflect any type of ranking in our admissions process. It only reflects the date on which the file review was completed."

So doesn't this disprove the whole "maybe" pile theory? If files reviewed were grouped into interviews vs maybe for a later interview date, that would mean the later interview date was ranked lower.

So doesn't this disprove the whole "maybe" pile theory? If files reviewed were grouped into interviews vs maybe for a later interview date, that would mean the later interview date was ranked lower.

Yeah, I agree. If I had a 4.8 GPA and 45 MCAT, I doubt I'd still be waiting for a response right now.

It might or it might not.

If they keep some files in the maybe pile and they end up calling some of those people up for an interview on the last interview date to fill it up...I don't think it would reflect a ranking since people on the last interview date wouldn't necessarily be worse (some people would have had their file reviewed and given an interview right away for the 30th for example), but then some people could have been granted an interview from the "maybe" pile.

The reason I say this is that I feel that it would be wise for UofT to keep some buffer zone if by some miracle they didn't have enough people to fill up the last interview weekend because they had been too harsh in their evaluation.

Then again it could be that they simply evaluate your file independently from everything else, and if you are good you get an interview, if you aren't good you don't get an interview, and the don't care about how many interviews they give out (you aren't competing for x amount of interview spots, it's just based on your quality as an applicant).

Archived