Premed 101 Forums

U of T Interview Discussion 2014

So that suggests to me that they haven't been dividing up the review pools evenly.

We surmised that if they have ~3500 applicants and 8 interview dates, that means that by now they should only have 438 applications left to review for the last interview date. But instead, there are 1300 applicants left??

So, if you were lucky and your file got reviewed first, then you had a greater probability of getting an interview, because you could have been in a pool with fewer people.

Wow. Now I know what all the ranting was about this morning.

Transparency is needed here. And I'm not sure how fair this process is.

I'm pretty sure most of that 1300 (if it's real, I doubt admissions offices would tell you if you call to ask) has already been reviewed and rejected and only a few is being kept until after the grad student reviews. Most of them are probably not in a maybe area either. Toronto just has a problem with sending out rejections. They held onto even more rejections last year till the end of March after only sending out some rejections at the end of January.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From U of T Med Admissions Twitter:

"While there are some interview spots still open, no more invitations will go out until grad review is finished, as I need to have space available pending the outcome of those assessments. I hope that I can invite more candidates next Monday."

Was expecting it, but still disappointed to see the letter.

My GPA was nowhere close to 3.9 or 4.0 which seems to be the expected range (I honestly did not know - especially since UofT says they look at applicants holistically if they have above 3.6). I did have different circumstances that I addressed in the space that UofT gives to explain for why your grades could have been better, but it obviously did not make any impact. :(

I think they should change that 3.6 on their website - like really at least make it a more realistic 3.8.

I'm sorry to see all these stellar applicants being refused. This year's competition seems to be even higher than before...my best wishes for everyone who's going through this admissions process, invited or not - you are all carrying yourselves through such tough times! I hope we'll all be colleagues in the end.

Stay strong!

Even for those above 3.9, an interview is nowhere near guaranteed. The competition is insane and I believe you need unbelievably stellar EC's with a 3.9+ to be considered. This is just me being pessimistic though ;)

I think it's you being realistic. I just saw the invites/regrets thread, and I can see that people much more competitive (GPA, ECs both) than myself got regrets for interviews, and am just honestly shocked.

Though UofT definitely puts an incredibly huge emphasis on GPA - I know a couple people, who haven't done much (ECs wise), but have good GPAs, can afford to get their essays edited by the right people, and they have interviews. They also have the money to pay for interview practise and get really perfect answers to questions that are very likely to be asked since they practise with current UofT Med Students.

Result: Regrets

cGPA: 3.96

MCAT: Above Cutoffs

ECs: 3+ year ongoing EC’s: Personal Trainer / Group Fitness instructor / clinical volunteering / tutoring/ conditioning and wellness coach / customer service rep / head of a large teen health program / advisor to two youth leadership development groups —— 5 years previously as a server/bartender , academic and leadership scholarships, soccer league/intramurals/tennis club, half marathon runner, CanFitPro Fitness ambassador, 1st author pub in UG, and other 3-6 month smaller commitments …

Essays: Spent a few weeks on them, but I suppose they were nothing short of awful

Year: Completed UG

So glad the waiting is over so I can plan for next year. Best of luck to those of you still waiting

my mind boggles. :eek: those seem like incredibly relevant and good ECs HOW holy crap.

I think it's you being realistic. I just saw the invites/regrets thread, and I can see that people much more competitive (GPA, ECs both) than myself got regrets for interviews, and am just honestly shocked.

Though UofT definitely puts an incredibly huge emphasis on GPA - I know a couple people, who haven't done much (ECs wise), but have good GPAs, can afford to get their essays edited by the right people, and they have interviews. They also have the money to pay for interview practise and get really perfect answers to questions that are very likely to be asked since they practise with current UofT Med Students.

Well thank you for the kind words here and in the invite/regrets thread, this application cycle has made me think that my stats were worthless.

I believe you touched on a significant point. Every single piece of the application is just as important, and those who had great stats AND wrote stellar essays were the ones who stood out. Those who got interviews simply played the admissions game much better than I did. We all just have to suck it up and try next year!

Good luck to all of those with interviews.

I'm glad it is over. Pile this one on top of the other rejections. And here it to all of us who weren't offered an interview anywhere this year. Sigh... or maybe I am alone...

Nah, I'm with you. Now I have to decide what to do for next (maybe next 2) years to improve my chances. Oh...and I have to tell my references how I failed...I'm sure they'll be understanding, but not looking forward to that :(

This was the last school I was waiting to hear back from so my interviews are now set in stone.

I wish everyone best of luck with UofT in both interviews and admissions!

Sorry Dr. Nick, I was seriously hoping you'd get a spot. ): I'm sure you'll have some good news in May though!

Good luck from a forum creeper. (:

It's finally over and really pretty hard to take with no other interview offers to ease the pain.

Good luck everyone. I hope to see you when I get in next year :)

Same to you Pablo, I was disappointed when I saw this ):

Good luck next year from a fellow teacher (:

--------------

If we haven't heard yet, as a grad applicant, anyone have any insight regarding when we should expect an answer shortly? This waiting is taking years off of my life...

No interview for me! I guess I was a red shirt in my "Waiting for news from uoft" drama. I'm glad to know though, I can focus on the interview I do have (staying positive :P)

To those without any interviews this year, I hope your Plan B includes trying again! Who knows how 'close' we all were to getting an interview with uoft?

No interview for me! I guess I was a red shirt in my "Waiting for news from uoft" drama. I'm glad to know though, I can focus on the interview I do have (staying positive :P)

To those without any interviews this year, I hope your Plan B includes trying again! Who knows how 'close' we all were to getting an interview with uoft?

Sorry to hear about your UofT rejection. If it's any consolation we are McGill invite/UofT rejection buddies !

Sorry to see so many excellent candidates receive rejections today. I know your pain very well... I received my rejection from UofT on March 22nd last year after a long and torturous wait. The good thing is that you can finally focus on other facets of your life!

The important thing is to never give up! Become a better applicant for next year. If you have other interviews, own them!

Good luck to all of those with interviews.

I'm glad it is over. Pile this one on top of the other rejections. And here it to all of us who weren't offered an interview anywhere this year. Sigh... or maybe I am alone...

Definitely bummed out not having any interviews this year, but at least we can move forward and figure out what we'll be doing this upcoming year.

Archived