Premed 101 Forums

U of T Interview Discussion 2014

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh okay - thanks. Someone on here said that it's something like a 50% acceptance rate if you include the waitlist, so like 18 more from the waitlist (?)

Well based on this document (https://www.afmc.ca/pdf/2013_ad_bk.pdf), UofT used to have about 70 people decline their offers. Although admittedly the latest data is only from 2008/2009, and UofT only had 222 spots at that time, at this point I hope its safe to say around 40 people will decline their offers, which puts us at just about 300 offers for 600 applicants. If offers declined are still around 70 (or even higher, although I doubt that) then we are above 50% acceptance

Approximately one-third of applicants enter the program with a graduate degree, but there is no quota for graduate status. Strong academic credentials are required, including good MCAT scores and a high GPA, and the average for accepted applicants is well above the minimum standards set by the Admissions Committee. There are over 11 applicants for every seat in the first-year class, and the acceptance-of-offer rate of 80% is the highest in Ontario and one of the highest in Canada http://www.md.utoronto.ca/Assets/FacMed+Digital+Assets/1_ume/Accreditation/issr.pdf?method=1

suggests slightly above 50%

Approximately one-third of applicants enter the program with a graduate degree, but there is no quota for graduate status. Strong academic credentials are required, including good MCAT scores and a high GPA, and the average for accepted applicants is well above the minimum standards set by the Admissions Committee. There are over 11 applicants for every seat in the first-year class, and the acceptance-of-offer rate of 80% is the highest in Ontario and one of the highest in Canada http://www.md.utoronto.ca/Assets/FacMed+Digital+Assets/1_ume/Accreditation/issr.pdf?method=1

I calculate ~ 51.8 % based on this. That's still not bad, though.

I calculate ~ 51.8 % based on this. That's still not bad, though.

Your point on graduate status, or success rate of over 50% does not seem to relate to this thread "interview discussion" ^_^ at all?

At this interview stage, one would look for Applicant Stats "Success Rate", which is "conveniently" greyed out (no data available) for some reasons. I don't understand why many med schools in Ontario don't seem to provide this particular information, which to me not a sign of transparency.

Take a look at a few others in other provinces for Applicants success rate:

- U of Manitoba 2011/2012: IP 28.9%, OOP 8.3%

- U Sask 2011/2012: IP 19.6%, OOP 7.3%

- U of Alberta 2011/2012: IP 25.6%, OOP 9.3%

etc

All Ontario med schools as listed - Ottawa, Queen, McMaster, UofT, Western, Northern (Lakehead), did not provide any Applicant success rate since 2008/2009 !? Would a candidate invited for an interview be interested in these stats?

Your point on graduate status, or success rate of over 50% does not seem to relate to this thread "interview discussion" ^_^ at all?

At this interview stage, one would look for Applicant Stats "Success Rate", which is "conveniently" greyed out (no data available) for some reasons. I don't understand why many med schools in Ontario don't seem to provide this particular information, which to me not a sign of transparency.

Take a look at a few others in other provinces for Applicants success rate:

- U of Manitoba 2011/2012: IP 28.9%, OOP 8.3%

- U Sask 2011/2012: IP 19.6%, OOP 7.3%

- U of Alberta 2011/2012: IP 25.6%, OOP 9.3%

etc

All Ontario med schools as listed - Ottawa, Queen, McMaster, UofT, Western, Northern (Lakehead), did not provide any Applicant success rate since 2008/2009 !? Would a candidate invited for an interview be interested in these stats?

Haha what? Knowing the number of interviewees, spots, and the acceptance-of-offer rate one can calcluate the post-interview success rate. I got 54%, actually. Did I screw up? :s

(259spots/0.8acceptance-of-offer=323.75 offers, 323.75offers/600interviewees=0.54)

Haha what? Knowing the number of interviewees, spots, and the acceptance-of-offer rate one can calcluate the post-interview success rate. I got 54%, actually. Did I screw up? :s

(259spots/0.8acceptance-of-offer=323.75 offers, 323.75offers/600interviewees=0.54)

Not sure. I just did ((259 * 1.20 (20% decline))/600)*100%

I like your number better, though ;)

You must be new here :D

wonka_vision's math makes more sense to me. Dividing by 0.8 is the same thing as multiplying by 1.25

If 20% of people decline the offer (not sure where that came from), then we should be using multiplication. 0.2 x 259 = ~52 people decline

wonka_vision's math makes more sense to me. Dividing by 0.8 is the same thing as multiplying by 1.25

If 20% of people decline the offer (not sure where that came from), then we should be using multiplication. 0.2 x 259 = ~52 people decline

Haha, okay but that would mean 311 offers with 259 accepted (83% acceptance-of-offer rate). Dividing by 0.8 yields the actual number of offers directly. (Need to take into account waitlist offers declined and also the skewing of numbers if 100% of waitlist offers are accepted). The 80% stat is presumably overall, not limited to only the first round of offers.

(Edit: I fully realize the triviality of whatever result comes from this discussion :P)

Not sure. I just did ((259 * 1.20 (20% decline))/600)*100%

I like your number better, though ;)

I see, no disagreement here on the post-interview odds :)!

My point is the overall, combined IP & OOP applicant success rate, if there are 259 spots for 3500 applicants, the odds are still 7.4%, not to mention the possible higher caliber applicants' GPA, MCAT cut off ...etc

I am new alright :D

Haha, okay but that would mean 311 offers with 259 accepted (83% acceptance-of-offer rate). Dividing by 0.8 yields the actual number of offers directly. (Need to take into account waitlist offers declined and also the skewing of numbers if 100% of waitlist offers are accepted). The 80% stat is presumably overall, not limited to only the first round of offers.

(Edit: I fully realize the triviality of whatever result comes from this discussion :P)

You're right: The number would actually be higher than 52% if people decline offers off the waitlist. For that reason I'd say yours is likely more accurate. The higher the better :)

Good point, I forgot about people declining waitlist offers

To add to the complexity:

Some people applied for the MD PhD and interviewed only for the MD or for both

Of those, some have already been accepted into the MDPhD and others may have accepted elsewhere. You have no way of knowing these numbers so you should account for an upper and lower estimate.

Add those factors to the algorithm. :D

Of those, some have already been accepted into the MDPhD and others may have accepted elsewhere. You have no way of knowing these numbers so you should account for an upper and lower estimate.

Can't be done.

Why can't you just consider accepted MD/PhD offers as one of the 259 seats being taken, and rejected MD/PhD offers as more waitlist movement? I'm sure those numbers were included when UoT Admissions gave the 0.8 offer acceptance rate in the first place, wasn't it?

Archived