Premed 101 Forums

Burnt out!

I'm starting the final semester of my second degree, and I feel so burnt out right now. More mentally burnt out than physically, but its still so draining. I had to work on assignments all throughout the winter break/prepare for interviews and I just can't wait for everything to be over. I'm sick of school, I'm sick of being anxious about my future (as all second degree-ers are) and I'm sick of being overly neurotic/obsessive about all my courses and grades. I'm afraid I'm going to lose my A+ in a course and for some reason it's just driving me insane.

Nearly six years of undergrad and 4 consecutive summers of constant studying - I feel so burnt out.

How are all you guys doing?

I went through a major burnout two years ago. It was a combination of school stress, taking on too much outside of classes (working ~30 hours a week, research in two labs and throughout a summer, volunteering, etc.), no breaks in summer, financial stress, and stress associated with some family health issues. I crashed really hard in March of 2k11 and ended up taking two years off of full-time studies. I had no memory. I could read things 20+ times and not be able to recall any of the information that I had reviewed. It took me over two years to recover and I'm still not 100% in terms of my memory and energy even though I'm about 1000x better off now than I was at the time that I crashed. The way that I approach things now is also much less intense than before and although the stakes haven't changed, how I view my future and what I take on both have.

I'm honestly not sure what to suggest if you're feeling similarly. I felt it coming on about 5 months prior to my crash, but being in the midst of deadlines and obligations made it so there wasn't all that much (at least I perceived it to be that way) that I could do.

If there's any way that you can remove some of your obligations or change your mentality about how you approach things right now, I would highly suggest that you make those changes. Recovering from an actual burnout takes a really long time. Your health is much more important than the immediacy of your goals.

Best of luck!

Man, I have the same thing with you. First full year doing second degree. Have no part jobs, quit all my volunteering, while taking on 5 course load and same time want to get As and A+. 2 month into the school year, had an anxiety time first time in my life and had to go to emergency room thought I had an heart attack. Gradually getting better with anxiety and stress since then, but this sense of anxious about future still persists. My way dealing with it has been taking things easy knowing sometimes these marks are not within your control, if things don't work out there has to be something You can do. Never never give up, I know this is the probably the toughest time in your life you will ever experience.

You are not alone. I can't remember the last time I had a good break. You know a break where you really stop thinking about your future? Uggghhh it's really stressing me out. I have finances to worry about, my family is 7000 miles away, living in an apartment alone with no friends, school and work. Life is so stressful and I am constantly thinking... every minute. The past summers, I worked 45-60 hours taking summer courses.

This summer I have MCAT to worry about. I am moving from Ottawa to Calgary this June if things work out. I am applying to med school/s too. I'm constantly worrying. I will have to worry about getting a job, funding my MCAT materials, and my 5th year.

So sorry about the rant. They say nothing great in life comes easy. I am getting old (23 y/o now). Although people often mistake me for being 13-19, I feel old mentally and I know I am getting there. I hope to see a light at the end of the tunnel. At the end of the day, I don't see myself doing anything else except medicine or be a doctor. I have a back up plan but for now it's either medicine or medicine lol We'll get there. I believe in the premise that we only have this one life to live. I want to live doing what I want to do in life and be in a career I enjoy. This is the path I am choosing... people have it harder even though they didn't choose it to be that way.

:cool:

For me, it's actually application burn out!

This will be my third year applying. First year got waitlisted at Mac, 2nd year I didn't get interviewed but released I didn't actually release my MCAT scores (:mad: ) and this year I just applied to Calgary.

As much as I would love to get in, I'm also really looking forward to the potential reality of not getting an interview and just being done with this whole process. It takes a lot out of you!

• 2 weeks later...

I completely know how you guys feel as well. I'm so burnt out with applications and still trying to get into med. This is my 4th time applying, I'm 25, done my masters, and I've had 2 interviews each of the last 2 years and some waitlists as well but this year just the one interview from uoft. I know you just need one but 3 rejections today hurt, especially when my app has improved every year (or so I thought). The competition is also absolutely insane now, my app used to be very competitive now honestly it doesn't look good enough. I'm rewriting my mcat in may since my scores expire this year, never thought I'd have to go through this again. Just hoping it works out this year but will be extremely hard to pick myself up again and go through another cycle if it doesn't work out. But I think next year would be my last time applying, can't keep trying for something that might not happen....

I went through a major burnout two years ago. It was a combination of school stress, taking on too much outside of classes (working ~30 hours a week, research in two labs and throughout a summer, volunteering, etc.), no breaks in summer, financial stress, and stress associated with some family health issues. I crashed really hard in March of 2k11 and ended up taking two years off of full-time studies. I had no memory. I could read things 20+ times and not be able to recall any of the information that I had reviewed. It took me over two years to recover and I'm still not 100% in terms of my memory and energy even though I'm about 1000x better off now than I was at the time that I crashed. The way that I approach things now is also much less intense than before and although the stakes haven't changed, how I view my future and what I take on both have.

I'm honestly not sure what to suggest if you're feeling similarly. I felt it coming on about 5 months prior to my crash, but being in the midst of deadlines and obligations made it so there wasn't all that much (at least I perceived it to be that way) that I could do.

If there's any way that you can remove some of your obligations or change your mentality about how you approach things right now, I would highly suggest that you make those changes. Recovering from an actual burnout takes a really long time. Your health is much more important than the immediacy of your goals.

Best of luck!

Wow, that sounds intense!! I hope you make a full recovery eventually. I hear you - financial stress and family stress is also really high for me. At this point in my life last year, I didn't know if I should attempt another year of undergrad because it was starting to feel hopeless, and because I am racking up OSAP debt...

How do you recommend I change my mentality?

Man, I have the same thing with you. First full year doing second degree. Have no part jobs, quit all my volunteering, while taking on 5 course load and same time want to get As and A+. 2 month into the school year, had an anxiety time first time in my life and had to go to emergency room thought I had an heart attack. Gradually getting better with anxiety and stress since then, but this sense of anxious about future still persists. My way dealing with it has been taking things easy knowing sometimes these marks are not within your control, if things don't work out there has to be something You can do. Never never give up, I know this is the probably the toughest time in your life you will ever experience.

Agreed, the anxiety is overwhelming at times! Thanks for the encouraging words.

Going through the same thing here, more so last year. Something that helped me quite a bit is having a backup plan in place in case in takes more than 1 round of applications. Might help to deal with the sense of impending uncertainty and dread.

Thanks, I am actually pursuing my backup plan right now (Optometry). I decided not to apply to med this year, and only applied to Optometry. I couldn't afford applying to the States, so the one and only Canadian optometry school is my only chance...having all your eggs in one basket is definitely contributing to much of the stress and anxiety of what might happen if I don't get in.

You are not alone. I can't remember the last time I had a good break. You know a break where you really stop thinking about your future? Uggghhh it's really stressing me out. I have finances to worry about, my family is 7000 miles away, living in an apartment alone with no friends, school and work. Life is so stressful and I am constantly thinking... every minute. The past summers, I worked 45-60 hours taking summer courses.

This summer I have MCAT to worry about. I am moving from Ottawa to Calgary this June if things work out. I am applying to med school/s too. I'm constantly worrying. I will have to worry about getting a job, funding my MCAT materials, and my 5th year.

So sorry about the rant. They say nothing great in life comes easy. I am getting old (23 y/o now). Although people often mistake me for being 13-19, I feel old mentally and I know I am getting there. I hope to see a light at the end of the tunnel. At the end of the day, I don't see myself doing anything else except medicine or be a doctor. I have a back up plan but for now it's either medicine or medicine lol We'll get there. I believe in the premise that we only have this one life to live. I want to live doing what I want to do in life and be in a career I enjoy. This is the path I am choosing... people have it harder even though they didn't choose it to be that way.

:cool:

Haha no worries, continue the rant, its nice to let it out. Especially since lots of us are feeling the same way, and it really helps to know that I'm not alone in this seemingly endless (and at times, hopeless) struggle. It really sucks to be isolated from family and friends (I feel the same way). Even though I live with my family, sometimes they don't understand that medicine is just really competitive. I am financially dependent on my family, and they are (understandably) frustrated that I am still in school, still trying to get somewhere in life.

Keep working at it though! I know it'll get better for us eventually, and the hard work will pay off, whether it be in medicine or elsewhere.

For me, it's actually application burn out!

This will be my third year applying. First year got waitlisted at Mac, 2nd year I didn't get interviewed but released I didn't actually release my MCAT scores (:mad: ) and this year I just applied to Calgary.

As much as I would love to get in, I'm also really looking forward to the potential reality of not getting an interview and just being done with this whole process. It takes a lot out of you!

I hear you - I've applied multiple times as well and its really draining!! Hope third time's a charm, and you get into Calgary this year!

I completely know how you guys feel as well. I'm so burnt out with applications and still trying to get into med. This is my 4th time applying, I'm 25, done my masters, and I've had 2 interviews each of the last 2 years and some waitlists as well but this year just the one interview from uoft. I know you just need one but 3 rejections today hurt, especially when my app has improved every year (or so I thought). The competition is also absolutely insane now, my app used to be very competitive now honestly it doesn't look good enough. I'm rewriting my mcat in may since my scores expire this year, never thought I'd have to go through this again. Just hoping it works out this year but will be extremely hard to pick myself up again and go through another cycle if it doesn't work out. But I think next year would be my last time applying, can't keep trying for something that might not happen....

So sorry to hear about the rejections...they definitely hurt. This is my 4th application cycle as well (though this year it isn't for medicine). Your application is definitely competitive if you've had interviews and waitlists in the past. With the level of competition that its at now, that a lot can ride on just pure luck. It's not fair, but hey, life isn't fair is it? That's what I tell myself anyways. If you've done all you can, and it still isn't enough, then I hope you can find it in yourself to forgive yourself and move on. I did that for myself this year, and man let me tell you, so much of the burden lifted from my shoulders. Now that I've essentially given up on medicine (MCAT Verbal killed it for me...), and decided that my backup plan is much more feasible (and maybe even a better lifestyle choice for me than medicine), it feels like such a huge relief. I didn't even get interviews for my previous application (because of the poor GPA/verbal) so it was pretty bleak for me. I didn't know what to do. hopefully you can find a backup plan as well, but honestly I think you should try once more. Getting waitlisted is super painful but it shows that they did want you, if they had enough space. I really hope your UofT interview goes well, and that you get in. If not - I'd try once more and then, if all comes to worst, you know that you tried your best, and you won't have any regrets. I attempted the MCAT one last time this past summer (despite my verbal not improving) and even though it still wasn't good enough, the blow wasn't as devastating as it was the previous few times I wrote it. I had a backup plan now that I could pursue, and that made it more bearable to handle. I don't have any regrets with leaving medicine behind because I know I gave it my best shot. Maybe I just wasn't cut out for it. I used to be very angry with myself for not having done better academically in my first few years of undergrad, but I have forgiven myself and was able to move on. I hope you are able to trudge through this year and wishing you the best come May!

For the rest of you, thanks a lot for your replies. This forum is what gets me through some days, knowing that I am not alone in this struggle. I've had feelings of intense loneliness this past year, which has been a major factor in my feelings of being burnt out and just being sick of everything. Just gotta keep working at it, I guess.

I'm doing a second degree as well (first of out two years). I always have a bunch of stuff to do. Two summers ago I studied for the MCAT and did a full time job. Last summer I studied for the MCAT again because I burnt-out last time and had to void, and I had to do 1.5 credits at the same time. I ended up with 13/10(!!!)/14. I GOT A 37 BUT A 10 IN VERBAL, which made me almost want to kill someone. I can't believe I have to write the MCAT again this summer for a single verbal point and probably next summer as well since schools probably won't accept old MCATs anymore due to the new 2015 MCAT. That's writing the MCAT 4 times!!

Honestly I feel EXTREMELY tired sometimes because I feel like I'm the only one in my program who cares about getting an excellent grade. Everyone else (even the profs) think an 80 is awesome (which, for medical school, it's not).

I feel like I'm gambling on my future with this second degree, and I HAVE to win. I'm doing 6 credits and have a part time job as a lab manager. I'm constantly studying overnight and do tests on only an hour of sleep.

I went back to Toronto during Christmas and saw some of my friends from my previous school. They all have jobs now. They are living the life, with Bay street apartments and chanel purses, all funded by themselves! And here I am, still in undergrad, studying alongside people who thought the color green was so funny, and working almost minimum wage. One of the worst part is, I feel like I'm the only one in the world who cares about this dream. Everyone else is moving on with their lives, but I'm still stuck on this insane fantasy of getting into medical school that is always so far out of my reach. It's a super lonely feeling. However, it's nice to see on this forum that there are people who are equally dedicated to this dream and are working extremely hard to get there. Honestly, I think it's going to work out for us, because if you want something bad enough and work whole-heartedly for it, then it'll be your's sooner or later.

I'm planning to write out my experience in detail if I ever get in, because it's those inspiration stories from hard-working people on these forums that kept me going.

Good luck to all of us. Hopefully I'll see one or more of you guys in medical school in a couple of years :) .

Hey, I honestly don't think you need to rewrite the MCAT - a lot of people think it's their MCAT that is the reason they're not getting into med school but that's not entirely true. You have an AMAZING MCAT score and you probably don't need to go through the stress of writing it again. Just do some extracurriculars that are meaningful to you and really try to understand why you want to pursue medicine!

Those of you who are feeling burned out, remember to take the time to look after yourselves! Make sure you are getting enough sleep (remember, memories are consolidated during sleep, so you'll remember what you are studying better if you get sufficient sleep). Eat well, so your brain has the fuel it needs. Try to exercise, even if it is just going for a walk. Exercise helps not only with stress relief, but with memory and concentration.

Take time to do things that you enjoy. You don't have to spend a lot of time on them, but doing something other than school will help your mental and physical health.

I guess I'm weird, because I love being in university. I love learning new things. I love studying. If I could, I would be a student forever! That's one of the reasons I was attracted to medicine as a career: the necessity for lifelong learning. There are so many interesting things to study - I wish I had time to study them all.

Anyhow, just be sure to take care of yourself, while also trying to do the best you can with your academics.

Hey, I honestly don't think you need to rewrite the MCAT - a lot of people think it's their MCAT that is the reason they're not getting into med school but that's not entirely true. You have an AMAZING MCAT score and you probably don't need to go through the stress of writing it again. Just do some extracurriculars that are meaningful to you and really try to understand why you want to pursue medicine!

I've actually been debating about whether to write again or not. I *SO* don't want to do the mcat 4 summers in a row. Oh well, maybe I can get a mcat instructor job so I can review for the mcat while making some money and add another thing to my sketch...

I'm doing a second degree as well (first of out two years). I always have a bunch of stuff to do. Two summers ago I studied for the MCAT and did a full time job. Last summer I studied for the MCAT again because I burnt-out last time and had to void, and I had to do 1.5 credits at the same time. I ended up with 13/10(!!!)/14. I GOT A 37 BUT A 10 IN VERBAL, which made me almost want to kill someone. I can't believe I have to write the MCAT again this summer for a single verbal point and probably next summer as well since schools probably won't accept old MCATs anymore due to the new 2015 MCAT. That's writing the MCAT 4 times!!

Honestly I feel EXTREMELY tired sometimes because I feel like I'm the only one in my program who cares about getting an excellent grade. Everyone else (even the profs) think an 80 is awesome (which, for medical school, it's not).

I feel like I'm gambling on my future with this second degree, and I HAVE to win. I'm doing 6 credits and have a part time job as a lab manager. I'm constantly studying overnight and do tests on only an hour of sleep.

I went back to Toronto during Christmas and saw some of my friends from my previous school. They all have jobs now. They are living the life, with Bay street apartments and chanel purses, all funded by themselves! And here I am, still in undergrad, studying alongside people who thought the color green was so funny, and working almost minimum wage. One of the worst part is, I feel like I'm the only one in the world who cares about this dream. Everyone else is moving on with their lives, but I'm still stuck on this insane fantasy of getting into medical school that is always so far out of my reach. It's a super lonely feeling. However, it's nice to see on this forum that there are people who are equally dedicated to this dream and are working extremely hard to get there. Honestly, I think it's going to work out for us, because if you want something bad enough and work whole-heartedly for it, then it'll be your's sooner or later.

I'm planning to write out my experience in detail if I ever get in, because it's those inspiration stories from hard-working people on these forums that kept me going.

Good luck to all of us. Hopefully I'll see one or more of you guys in medical school in a couple of years :) .

I totally feel your pain. I did 4 summers worth of MCAT as well, plus other course work (plus volunteering). I didn't have a full time job but I can imagine how difficult it must've been studying for that beast while working 40+ hours/week (especially for research positions). It sucked the life out of me. I hated it so much. What's worse was that I felt alone in this endeavor too. My premed friends were more successful then me - they've all gotten into med, either right after 4th year or the year after, and they didn't write the MCAT more than 2X.

You have an amazing MCAT score. How important is Western to you? It's only them (and Calgary if you're not from Alberta) that require an 11 in verbal. You can get into most med schools with a 10 in VR, granted the other parts of your app are competitive.

And I hear you - all my friends are moving on with their lives, getting married, doing their masters/PhDs, whatever and we're still stuck in undergrad. It sucks but like I always say to myself, good things don't come easy. You have to work for it.

I also agree with how feeling like you're the only one who cares about your grades, especially when you're in a class filled with first years. I feel alone in the sense that I have no one to rely on when I miss class, since my classmates don't bother taking as detailed notes as I do. But, I have found support and online friends here on this forum thankfully.

Hang in there - we'll make it there eventually! :)

Those of you who are feeling burned out, remember to take the time to look after yourselves! Make sure you are getting enough sleep (remember, memories are consolidated during sleep, so you'll remember what you are studying better if you get sufficient sleep). Eat well, so your brain has the fuel it needs. Try to exercise, even if it is just going for a walk. Exercise helps not only with stress relief, but with memory and concentration.

Take time to do things that you enjoy. You don't have to spend a lot of time on them, but doing something other than school will help your mental and physical health.

I guess I'm weird, because I love being in university. I love learning new things. I love studying. If I could, I would be a student forever! That's one of the reasons I was attracted to medicine as a career: the necessity for lifelong learning. There are so many interesting things to study - I wish I had time to study them all.

Anyhow, just be sure to take care of yourself, while also trying to do the best you can with your academics.

Haha, I used to say that back in my third year of undergrad. Funny how things have changed. Ever since I moved to my new uni, I never really found a good group of friends. I feel quite alone. I feel that has contributed greatly to my sense of just being sick of school. you're lucky that you have such a supportive spouse and profs who commend you on doing a second degree.

Guest qwertyy

Man I can't agree with this statement more.

It bothers me so much to see profs acting as if I should be satisfied with <90

I totally feel you guys. Medhopeful 64 and summergirls. I am on the same boat as you two right now. But with 3 more month to go in the school year. I think there is a light over there if we can stay persistent and resilient in everyday. Hang on there guys!:)

More like 2 more months! :D I'm just counting down the days til my life as an undergrad is finally over :P I can definitely see the light!

• 1 month later...

I totally feel your pain. I did 4 summers worth of MCAT as well, plus other course work (plus volunteering). I didn't have a full time job but I can imagine how difficult it must've been studying for that beast while working 40+ hours/week (especially for research positions). It sucked the life out of me. I hated it so much. What's worse was that I felt alone in this endeavor too. My premed friends were more successful then me - they've all gotten into med, either right after 4th year or the year after, and they didn't write the MCAT more than 2X.

You have an amazing MCAT score. How important is Western to you? It's only them (and Calgary if you're not from Alberta) that require an 11 in verbal. You can get into most med schools with a 10 in VR, granted the other parts of your app are competitive.

And I hear you - all my friends are moving on with their lives, getting married, doing their masters/PhDs, whatever and we're still stuck in undergrad. It sucks but like I always say to myself, good things don't come easy. You have to work for it.

I also agree with how feeling like you're the only one who cares about your grades, especially when you're in a class filled with first years. I feel alone in the sense that I have no one to rely on when I miss class, since my classmates don't bother taking as detailed notes as I do. But, I have found support and online friends here on this forum thankfully.

Hang in there - we'll make it there eventually! :)

Western is pretty important to me, since there are only a handful of schools that will look past my horrible grades in my first degree, so I feel like I can't really afford to give up on any of them without putting up a fight. Especially Western is a guaranteed interview as long as you meet their requirements, which I'm so so close to.

I thought I would be able to have a break this summer with a light course-load and only one job but it seems like that's not going to happen. I realized I have yet to do my orgo II and English so now I have to do 2.5credits in the summer plus 2 jobs. GREAT.

And life doesn't get better when all of my classes have group projects worth 20% and I'm stuck with people with 65% averages who refuse to do anything but insist on making all the decisions.

I know I'm ranting a bit but it feels so good to have an outlet for my frustration. I guess I severely underestimated the impact of other students in second undergrads, which was my fault. I naively thought that as long as I work hard, everything will come together...13 more months to go and I'm done with undergrad!

And life doesn't get better when all of my classes have group projects worth 20% and I'm stuck with people with 65% averages who refuse to do anything but insist on making all the decisions.

Group work is the bane of the mature student. Simply put.

Regardless, I hope things work out for you!

Western is pretty important to me, since there are only a handful of schools that will look past my horrible grades in my first degree, so I feel like I can't really afford to give up on any of them without putting up a fight. Especially Western is a guaranteed interview as long as you meet their requirements, which I'm so so close to.

I thought I would be able to have a break this summer with a light course-load and only one job but it seems like that's not going to happen. I realized I have yet to do my orgo II and English so now I have to do 2.5credits in the summer plus 2 jobs. GREAT.

I know I'm ranting a bit but it feels so good to have an outlet for my frustration. I guess I severely underestimated the impact of other students in second undergrads, which was my fault. I naively thought that as long as I work hard, everything will come together...13 more months to go and I'm done with undergrad!

:( aw man that sucks. Can't you do the orgo and/or english next year instead of this summer?

I'm sorry to hear about your group projects too - I hate when that happens.

I wish the best of luck for you if you retake the MCAT.

Update for anyone following this thread: I got accepted into the Optometry program, so my journey as a premed/pre-optom is finally over :o Optometry was my backup plan but after job-shadowing a few optometrists, I felt like it was a good career choice for me. I'm going to take it that I just wasn't meant to be in Medicine. There is a light at the end of the tunnel - whether that be in med/optometry/dentistry/nursing/physio/whatever :)

Update for anyone following this thread: I got accepted into the Optometry program, so my journey as a premed/pre-optom is finally over :o Optometry was my backup plan but after job-shadowing a few optometrists, I felt like it was a good career choice for me. I'm going to take it that I just wasn't meant to be in Medicine. There is a light at the end of the tunnel - whether that be in med/optometry/dentistry/nursing/physio/whatever :)

Congratulations!! Optometry is a great field so you'll probably really enjoy it. It's great to hear other (ex)pre-meds reach their goals. It just shows the rest of us that hard work does pay off. I hope you enjoy optometry:)

Congrats medhopeful on your optometry acceptance that's amazing, I hope everything works out!

Archived