Premed 101 Forums

Burnt out!

Update for anyone following this thread: I got accepted into the Optometry program, so my journey as a premed/pre-optom is finally over :o Optometry was my backup plan but after job-shadowing a few optometrists, I felt like it was a good career choice for me. I'm going to take it that I just wasn't meant to be in Medicine. There is a light at the end of the tunnel - whether that be in med/optometry/dentistry/nursing/physio/whatever :)

Congrats! Good for you.

Update for anyone following this thread: I got accepted into the Optometry program, so my journey as a premed/pre-optom is finally over :o Optometry was my backup plan but after job-shadowing a few optometrists, I felt like it was a good career choice for me. I'm going to take it that I just wasn't meant to be in Medicine. There is a light at the end of the tunnel - whether that be in med/optometry/dentistry/nursing/physio/whatever :)

Congratulations! Good luck in optometry school.

• 7 months later...

Hey everyone.  I've been going through the non-trad forums and saw this one.  After reading everyone's stories, I see that burnouts can happen to anyone.

I myself am 27 years old, married and have a 2 year old son and a 4 month old son.  I've been working full time since 2008 (started working before my university graduation), did an UG certificate between 2008-2010, Masters from 2010-2013 and currently doing a second undergrad degree to better my chances at getting into NOSM.  My days are a copy paste of each other.  Wake up at 5:30am, go to work, get home at 4pm, make supper with the family, family time until 8pm, put the kids to bed, go in my basement to do 2-3 hours of homework and in bed between 11-midnight.

Along with this, I am super active in my community, part of the big brothers big sisters association, community action networks, etc... 

At times I am dead tired, but I tell myself I need to do this to give myself a chance at my dream (going to Med School).  I hope it pays off soon.  I'll be done my second degree in May 2015.  I did go through a depression about a year ago, but thankfully it was just a medication problem and only lasted a few weeks.  I don't ever want to go through that again, as it was tough on my family.  I need to be there for my family.

Archived