• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Result: rejection

Time stamp:3:55pm

Geography: OOP

GPA: 3.9

MCAT: 30

ECs: several volunteer projects including hospital volunteering, 2 years of hospital work, coached gymnastics for 7 years, gymnast for 10 years, shadowed doctors..

Completed UG in 2013

Applied: dal, mac, queens, toronto

Interview: dal

Rejections pre interview: queens, mac

:(

TIME STAMP: 02:20 PM

Result: Reject

wGPA: 3.91

MCAT: 12/9/10

ECs: 4 years working as a lifeguard/swim instructor, hundreds of tutoring hours, volunteered in a urology lab at SickKids for a summer (abstract published), intramural sports, member of many clubs and exec of one, frosh leader for 2 years, volunteered in a neuro lab at my uni for a summer, did co-op at sunnybrook in gr 12, ran a marathon once lol.

Year: UG (3rd year)

Not surprised. Only applied this year for practice. Got an NSERC for this summer so that should help. Gotta up my community volunteering and rewrite the MCAT too.

TIME STAMP: 12:37 pm, Jan. 31st

Result: Invite!

GPA:

Last two years: 3.79

cGPA: 3.54

MCAT: PS- 12 VR- 12 BS- 14

ECs: Lots of long term leadership in athletics (founded a non-profit league/association, lots of coaching and training), dancing (competitive and leisurely), leadership/founding positions for various clubs, tutoring, peer mentoring, hospital volunteering, a lot of work with children and some research with 1 abstract and 1 publication

Year: Final year of second undergrad

Good luck to everyone, and keep on trying to those who unfortunately will not interview this year. Some of you guys have stellar stats, so keep trying your best and I am sure that something will work out!

TIME STAMP: 3:57 PM, January 31st, 2014

wGPA: 3.98

MCAT: 12/10/12

ECs: Medical transcriptionist, medical clinic volunteering, extensive peer leadership with an executive position in academic support program, choir, entrance scholarship, participated in panels for top students at university, 3 research projects (2 clinical, 1 molecular, no pubs).

Year: 3rd year UG

• 3 weeks later...

This is really strange... I just got an interview invite after being rejected! Will post stats soon.

Edit:

TIME STAMP: 10:37am, Feb 18th

Result: Invite after being rejected on Jan 31st!!!

wGPA: 3.98?

MCAT: 14/10/13/Q

ECs: Tutoring, TA, exec of a few clubs, hospital shadowing, intramural, band, track and field, volunteer at a retirement home, a few academic awards etc

Year: UG, 4th year

I don't even know what to say! This is unbelievable. I just pushed back my interview at Toronto so that I could attend my interview here. Looking forward to seeing the school :)

This is really strange... I just got an interview invite after being rejected! Will post stats soon.

same here, will update once I confirm with them

edit:

Confirmed! they said they had some cancellations. better to barely squeak in than have no interview!

TIME STAMP: 10:50 Feb 18

Result: Invite after rejection Jan 31

wGPA: 3.9+

MCAT: 13/10/12

ECs: pretty solid

Year: 5th year

And I was just coming to terms with the rejection!

TIME STAMP: 10:37 AM, Feb 18th, 2014

wGPA: 3.85

MCAT: 36R (BS 15/VR 10/PS 11)

ECs: Lots of research, personal fitness trainer, powerlifter, short story author, plus the usual stuff

Year: Finishing up an MSc

Edit:

TIME STAMP: 10:37am, Feb 18th

Result: Invite after being rejected on Jan 31st!!!

wGPA: 3.98?

MCAT: 14/10/13/Q

ECs: Tutoring, TA, exec of a few clubs, hospital shadowing, intramural, band, track and field, volunteer at a retirement home, a few academic awards etc

Year: UG, 4th year

I don't even know what to say! This is unbelievable. I just pushed back my interview at Toronto so that I could attend my interview here. Looking forward to seeing the school :)

a) bizarre B) amazing!

Geez, woke up and was checking email waiting to hear back about a masters program and instead I see an invite.

TIME STAMP: 10:37 Feb 18

wGPA: 3.75

MCAT: 12P/10V/10B

ECs: Usual premed + a ton of personal interest stuff (consider this a strong point)

Year: Currently in 5th year

TIME STAMP: Jan 31 (Late in posting)

Interview Date: March 22

Result: Invite

wGPA: 3.92 cGPA

MCAT: 14/11/12 (PS/VR/BS)

ECs: Some leadership positions, non-medical related volunteering (education and developmental issues clubs), some student govt. positions, working in residence. No hospital volunteering

Year: 4th year undergrad

Geography : IP

Geez, woke up and was checking email waiting to hear back about a masters program and instead I see an invite.

TIME STAMP: 10:37 Feb 18

wGPA: 3.75

MCAT: 12P/10V/10B

ECs: Usual premed + a ton of personal interest stuff (consider this a strong point)

Year: Currently in 5th year

What a nice message to wake up to!!

• 2 weeks later...
TIME STAMP: 02:20 PM

wGPA: 3.91

MCAT: 12/9/10

ECs: 4 years working as a lifeguard/swim instructor, hundreds of tutoring hours, volunteered in a urology lab at SickKids for a summer (abstract published), intramural sports, member of many clubs and exec of one, frosh leader for 2 years, volunteered in a neuro lab at my uni for a summer, did co-op at sunnybrook in gr 12, ran a marathon once lol.

Year: UG (3rd year)

Not surprised. Only applied this year for practice. Got an NSERC for this summer so that should help. Gotta up my community volunteering and rewrite the MCAT too.

Hi there,

I have pretty much the same stats as you (same exact MCAT, similar GPA, even some of the same ECs (lifeguard, lab volunteer, did a triathlon etc.)!

I'm just wondering if you have any idea why you were rejected?

Do you think it was that the MCAT was below the cut off? (I don't believe the cut off is known, is it?).

I'm hoping to apply next cycle (this fall) and am debating whether or not to write the MCAT again to up my score...

Any thoughts would be great!

Hi there,

I have pretty much the same stats as you (same exact MCAT, similar GPA, even some of the same ECs (lifeguard, lab volunteer, did a triathlon etc.)!

Do you think it was that the MCAT was below the cut off? (I don't believe the cut off is known, is it?).

I'm hoping to apply next cycle (this fall) and am debating whether or not to write the MCAT again to up my score...

You can check out the compiled stats of this year and last year's invites (from premed forums) by trojjanhorse: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ArlB46Pi6-RmdDVibG51YTE0YmJIWGJqS1ZQVUh2c1E&usp=sharing#gid=2

The MCAT minimums "seem" to stay stable with PS:9, VR:10, BS:10, with an overall around 32 or 33. So if your verbal is 9, you should probably considering re-writing the MCAT. You'll have a better chance at every school with a higher verbal score and a higher overall score.

You can check out the compiled stats of this year and last year's invites (from premed forums) by trojjanhorse: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ArlB46Pi6-RmdDVibG51YTE0YmJIWGJqS1ZQVUh2c1E&usp=sharing#gid=2

The MCAT minimums "seem" to stay stable with PS:9, VR:10, BS:10, with an overall around 32 or 33. So if your verbal is 9, you should probably considering re-writing the MCAT. You'll have a better chance at every school with a higher verbal score and a higher overall score.

Thank you!

This is helpful information! I think I will likely need a rewrite, but it helps to get an idea of what types of scores/marks are acceptable for interviews.

Do you know if there are pages like this for other medical schools too?

I'm pretty new on here so I'm not really sure where to find things!

Thanks!

Hi there,

I believe I was rejected because of the verbal score. I'm already registered to take the MCAT again in August. My score doesn't reflect my true potential and I'm sure I can do much better this time around. I recommend you write it again because a 9 in verbal holds us back from so many schools. Good luck to you!

Archived