Premed 101 Forums

Why is it "okay" to go into dentistry for money, but not medicine?

Kind of a flawed question if you think about it, dentists don't make nearly as much as doctors on average. General dentists are not in demand (there's a surplus in basically every city, and every rural city is already adequately serviced as of this year), unlike family doctors, who can still as of now work pretty much anywhere they want for a very handsome salary (the average family doctor grosses 385k in Ontario, source: http://news.ontario.ca/mohltc/en/2012/05/a-real-wage-freeze-for-doctors-the-facts.html)

Despite my username, if given the choice between general dentist and family doctor, I'd choose family doctor for sure.

Wait, why can't you go into medicine for the money? I find it very annoying when people use the ''you can't go into medicine for the money'' line.

Sure, I'm not SOLELY going into medicine for the money, there are a plethora of other reasons I'm going into it for. However, would you really be a physician if you only got paid $80,000?

At some point, you do have to realize, that you will have a mortgage to pay off, loans, and a family to feed.

Money is, and always will be a factor in career choice. :P

oh, this can of worms again. there's a big difference between being compensated for sacrificing a lot of time and earning power for training, and going in for the money. If you started earning 80k in first year med school and worked 40 hour weeks, then yes, most people would still go for it.

as has been discussed countless times before, money is a factor because of the huge amount of time physicians invest in training. Just because you factor money in, doesn't mean it should be one of the reasons you choose medicine. As an analogy, if it suddenly became likely that if I worked as a doctor, I would be maimed, I wouldn't want to be a doctor anymore. That doesn't mean that I chose to pursue medicine because there is a low risk of injury.

to answer OP's question, I think it is because dentistry is seen as more cosmetic. I think it is seen as more vain (not saying this is true, healthy teeth are very important) and therefore more acceptable to pursue it because of money. However, I'm pretty sure if you interviewed at dental school and said you were just interested in making money, they wouldn't take you.

It is probably a bit more acceptable because, in Canada at least, the relationship between dentist and patient is seen as more of a business relationship, a financial transaction, than the relationship between a physician and patient.

It is probably a bit more acceptable because, in Canada at least, the relationship between dentist and patient is seen as more of a business relationship, a financial transaction, than the relationship between a physician and patient.

yup, well put. More like the relationship between you and your barber/hairdresser.

Kind of a flawed question if you think about it, dentists don't make nearly as much as doctors on average. General dentists are not in demand (there's a surplus in basically every city, and every rural city is already adequately serviced as of this year), unlike family doctors, who can still as of now work pretty much anywhere they want for a very handsome salary (the average family doctor grosses 385k in Ontario, source: http://news.ontario.ca/mohltc/en/2012/05/a-real-wage-freeze-for-doctors-the-facts.html)

Despite my username, if given the choice between general dentist and family doctor, I'd choose family doctor for sure.

Good to know.

yup, well put. More like the relationship between you and your barber/hairdresser.

well both are sticky sharp instruments in or around my head so I can see that connection :)

The medical field has done a lot to promote that image of the tireless selfless doctor (not that it isn't often true). The field rewards it in effect and there is a lot of reinforcement as a result I think.

I'm just a bit curious, people seem to tolerate the idea of going into dentistry for money more than medicine. I used quotation marks because maybe it is not, but I'm having a false impression?

What do you think?

who are those "people" anyway? ;) what if they don't "okay" you, will you stop pursuing your path?

Wait, are dentists doctors? I thought they were technicians with a BSc.

Wow, I've been calling my Dentist Mrs. instead of Dr this whole time.

My bad.

Please stop being disrespectful towards other healthcare professionals. Frankly, you wouldn't even be able to get your foot in the door of a dental school even if your life depended on it. Dental students are bright and exceptional individuals with more class and respect towards others than you will ever have. End of the story.

WTH really? Do family docs earn that much???

Wait that's before tax right? and overheads and such?

Maybe the perception is that dentists' relationships with their patients are not as intimate? I wouldn't know if that's true, having never been a dentist.

General dentists maybe, but I think my relationship with my orthodontist is closer to my family doctor xD. Like I used to see him at least once per month! Family doctor not nearly as many times.

Wait, why can't you go into medicine for the money? I find it very annoying when people use the ''you can't go into medicine for the money'' line.

Sure, I'm not SOLELY going into medicine for the money, there are a plethora of other reasons I'm going into it for. However, would you really be a physician if you only got paid $80,000?

At some point, you do have to realize, that you will have a mortgage to pay off, loans, and a family to feed.

Money is, and always will be a factor in career choice. :P

Right on Matti! This is the source of all my confusion lol. I can't decide whether I should pursue medicine because I certainly don't have the best/"right" intentions.

But just because my intentions are not as pure, I can't be a good doctor?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but won't I still be satisfied and happy because I'm improving people's health (doing meaningful things) with job security and good pay cheques?

I can certainly see that...

But. hum. But it's a fact that we compensate doctors well, and they sure deserve it. Why is it not acceptable for students to want to get into this profession, partially or entirely, because it pays well?

I don't find that it's okay in both cases if your sole/deciding reason is money.

However, money is a very important factor that no one can neglect, especially when it comes to choosing your career.

No of course not the sole reason. If it was the sole reason I think it's better to consider i-banking and such.

But what if you start with money, like a list of well paid jobs - including dentists and docs. And then you look at job description - both doing meaningful stuff and helping patients with their lives or health. You think "not bad I would be fine doing that".

I find that people don't like the idea that you started to consider medicine because of money. They want you to go into medicine because all you wanted for your whole life is to save lives, kind of thing - I'm exaggerating...

Archived