Premed 101 Forums

Relative "conservativeness" of U/C MMI

Most of the MMI prep threads for attire recommend standard 2-button suit in charcoal or black, with a light or white shirt/tie.

Having always bucked the trend, I wonder how conservative they really are at U of C given the program's progressive nature, and I wonder if I can get away with less.

Typically I like dark, colorful shirts with matching tie. dress slacks with a nice belt makes sense, but a jacket seems stifling.

Additionally, I sport a pretty crazy waxed & curled moustache. I have always assumed I wold have to shave it for interview season to improve my chances. However, my SO and many professional friends have suggested I get it groomed but ultimately keep it, saying that it is "part of my personality" and that "that's what Calgary is looking for - who you are as a person".

I am skeptical about the latter, of course... Any advice overall? Previous experiences you can share on the U/C MMI??

I don't think there is an issue with wearing a colored dress shirt or an exciting tie.. There was definitely a variety of attire on the dudes last year from what I saw. Although, I think most of them wore jackets, and in my opinion the ones that did not wear one didn't look quite as sharp.

As for beards/facial hair.. I don't really know! The reviewers are all individuals, and I suppose some may find it 'unprofessional' and others might not care at all. However, I do remember a girl last year in my interview group that had dreadlocks, and I have seen her walking around the hospital with an orange backpack, so obviously her hair choice didn't stop her from getting an acceptance letter.

Honestly, I think as long as you look well groomed and tidy, it shouldn't matter what you do with your facial hair. At least you'll stand out from the crowd! :)

First impression is the last impression.

You really don't want to second guess who your interviewer is and how he respond when you are not dressed in 'norm' way. For guy, 2 piece suit is most appropriate, 3 piece is considered over dressed.

Of course, there will be exception but IMHO why bother. MMI is already stressful, It is one less thing you want to worry about.

Just my 2 cents. :)

I think dressing professionally is always important just to provide that clean, organized look. Even the girl with dreads in my class had a suit on during interviews last year. :)

Jacket or no jacket is tough though. Depends how well you pull it off. Some guys need the jacket to look tidy, but others look fabulous in a stylish shirt and tie. I saw both looks, but definitely more jackets as someone else said.

As for your moustache I'd say keep it if it's part of your personality! We have many people with long funky hair or beards. I'm not sure if you're working in the Health Sciences centre right now, but on Friday I swear I passed someone with a waxed curly moustache and I thought it looked great. If that was you then my vote is to keep it. :)

I think dressing professionally is always important just to provide that clean, organized look. Even the girl with dreads in my class had a suit on during interviews last year. :)

I definitely wasn't implying that she didn't look professional, as I agree that she did. I only brought her up to show that a less 'traditional' hairstyle or facial hair style shouldn't keep anyone from snagging an interview spot. :P

I definitely wasn't implying that she didn't look professional, as I agree that she did. I only brought her up to show that a less 'traditional' hairstyle or facial hair style shouldn't keep anyone from snagging an interview spot. :P

Oh absolutely. I was agreeing with you. I didn't think you implied anything else. :) She's the perfect example for this discussion because her style stands out and it's not a detriment.

Oh absolutely. I was agreeing with you. I didn't think you implied anything else. :) She's the perfect example for this discussion because her style stands out and it's not a detriment.

Ah, excellent. I wasn't sure if I had come across as saying she wasn't professional looking, so I wanted to clarify!

Can't wait to see all the exciting facial hair that arises from this discussion at the UofC interviews this year. :D

Keep your moustache. Well groomed facial hair is not a problem.

But get a jacket with your suit. If you don't have one, you'll stand out, but you could stand out in a bad way.

Coloured shirts etc. are fine.

It's an important day... If I were you, I would just stick it out!

Good luck!

Archived