Premed 101 Forums

OT/PT Accepted/Wait listed/Rejected 2014

I just copied this thread from last year; it was cool to see the competition and have any questions answered:

In preparation for the big day I'm starting this thread in hopes everyone will share their stats for future students (and for our curiosity as well!) You can either put everything in now except the results and edit later or just wait until May.

Here's how it goes:

Applied:

Accepted:

Waitlisted:

Rejected:

GPA: (cum and sub if you applied to any University using them both)

Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references:

Put a sentence here where you will choose to go or if you are unsure. Maybe some of us forum goers can help you decide!

Applied: Mac, UWO, UoT, Queens PT

Accepted:

Waitlisted:

Rejected:

GPA: sub-GPA 3.88; cum-GPA 3.05

Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: I feel good about my personal submissions for Queens though I'm not too sure how they score them so I guess it could go either way. I'm fairly confident with my references.

If I have a choice, I will go to Mac.

Applied: Western, McMaster, Toronto (all PT)

Accepted:

Waitlisted:

Rejected:

SubGPA: 3.9 cumGPA: 3.9

Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: Good references. One is my Masters' thesis supervisor and the other is a physiotherapist I have volunteered for (>100 hours).

First choice: Western

Applying a few years after undergrad (age 25) so I am really crossing my fingers to get in this year.

Applied: Queen's, McMaster, Toronto, Western and McGill (all OT)

Accepted: Queens

Waitlisted: UofT

Rejected: Mac, Western, McGill (did not attend MMI)

SubGPA: 3.64

CumGPA 3.41

Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: I don't feel great about my essays due to finding some minor spelling errors after my application went through, although I think the overall content is good. Both my references provided me with copies of their letters and I don't think I could have asked for anything better on their parts. Here's hoping my GPA's are high enough to get me interviews at Mac and McGill - I tend to interview well but have never done the MMI format before.

*Oh sorry and I believe my first choice would likely be Toronto, simply for the convenience of the location.

Applied: UBC, U of A, McMaster, Western - all OT
Accepted: Western - accepted off the wait list in July, U of A - accepted off of the wait list in August
Interviews: UBC, McMaster-not attending
Waitlisted: UBC (#11), U of A, Western (middle third)
Rejected: none
GPA: sub- 3.70 on ORPAS, 81% for UBC.
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: I had amazing references (both academic and professional). My statement of intent was also good, I think, and I feel good about the second essay that I wrote for Western. Interview with UBC wasn't as good as it could be. While I felt confident, I know i didn't answer some of the questions to the best of my ability. I think my references and statement of intent were what saved me from being flat-out rejected from UBC.

Preference: UBC (i'm a BC resident)...but that didn't happen.

I decided to accept Western over U of A, even though U of A is closer to home for me, for two reasons:

1.) U of A has seemed super disorganized and unfriendly from the start of my application process until now. I feel like their program, if anything like their application process, would be a huge stress in my life. Big turn off. Western, in comparison, has been much more organized and all of the staff have been incredibly approachable and kind.

2.) U of A accepted me off of their wait list way late, and i've already made plans to move out to Ontario. Also, I kind of have it in my mind that Western is a better school, but that's probably just personal preference.

Applied: Dal OT

Accepted:

Waitlisted:

Rejected:

GPA: 3.67sub & 3.54cum (on a 4.9 scale as I am from the East Coast)

Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: Strong references, and I have a lot of volunteer experience as well as research through completing an honours thesis and working as a research assistant.

I really wish Dalhousie included a LOR as part of the application, becasue I think it is a much better way to get a sense of an applicant's potential.

I mainly chose Dal because of the location. For those of you feeling, old I am turning 29 this year and this is my second time applying to grad school lol. So, don't worry, you have lots of time!! I am married and so I am limited to Dal for now, but my husband has been so supportive of me being in school. I hope this will be the year for me though.

Is anyone else taking Physio and anatomy right now for pre-reqs? Anatomy is going well for me, but my Athabasca physio course is killing me!!!

Applied: UofT, Mac, Western, Queens (all OT)

Accepted: UofT and Western

Waitlisted: Mac (#52)

Rejected: Queens

GPA: cGPA = 3.86, sGPA = 3.98

Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: One very strong academic reference, not sure about the professional one. (My academic reference sent me a copy of her letter but my professional one didn't.) Relatively strong statement of intent essay, ok second essay. I had mixed feelings about the MMI - I felt like I did really well for half of it but not well at all for the other half.

I've had experience working in a group home for people with disabilities (4 months) and volunteering at a hospital in the mental health unit and in a program for elderly patients (a few years). I also had a bunch of other miscellaneous research and work positions.

My first choice was Mac because of PBL and how well it prepares students for real work as an OT. But it doesn't look like I'm getting in with my ranking! I'm leaning towards UofT now.

Good luck to all the future applicants!!

Applied: Mac PT, UofT PT

Accepted:

Waitlisted:

Rejected:

GPA: cum: 3.62; sub: 3.90

Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: Good references (from my undergrad thesis supervisor [known for 2 years] and a physiotherapist I volunteered with)

Unsure where I want to go; aiming for UofT based on the hospital sites (most likely want to work in a hospital setting post-grad) and since its closer to home, but I've heard great things about PBL (just not sure whether it would be a good fit for me...)

Good luck to everyone!

Applied:McGill OT QY

Accepted:

Waitlisted:

Rejected:

GPA: sGPA= 3.56 cGPA= 3.35

Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: this is my second round applying, I learned a lot from the applications last year and what the schools are looking for in terms of essay content. I also have anatomy and physiology courses which are not pre reqs but will give me a higher score.

Last year I applied to Mac PT, UofT OT/PT and Queens PT and was rejected by all. Fingers crossed for McGill this year although I have not heard much about last years cut offs or how many OOP students are admitted. Does anyone know?

Applied:McGill OT QY

Accepted:

Waitlisted:

Rejected:

GPA: sGPA= 3.56 cGPA= 3.35

Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: this is my second round applying, I learned a lot from the applications last year and what the schools are looking for in terms of essay content. I also have anatomy and physiology courses which are not pre reqs but will give me a higher score.

Last year I applied to Mac PT, UofT OT/PT and Queens PT and was rejected by all. Fingers crossed for McGill this year although I have not heard much about last years cut offs or how many OOP students are admitted. Does anyone know?

Hi Tequila,

may I ask, what did you do in the meantime? Did you take a year off or took more classes to improve your gpa or else?

Hi Tequila,

may I ask, what did you do in the meantime? Did you take a year off or took more classes to improve your gpa or else?

I worked full time and completely paid off my student loans (YAY), developed my EC's by volunteering for my schools varsity sports team as their athletic therapist, an also took a physics course to open doors to some different programs (respiratory therapy, mostly)

Applied: Mac, UWO, UoT, Queens PT

Accepted:

Waitlisted:

Rejected:

GPA: sub-GPA 3.80; cum-GPA 3.15

2nd time around applying for me. I doubt I'll get UWO but hoping for any program at this point. 11 years as an RMT in PT clinic, 3 years as therapist for the Windsor Spitfires, solid references including one from PT of the Canadian Olympic figure skating team. Good luck everyone.

Applied: Western, McMaster, Toronto (all PT)

Accepted:

Waitlisted:

Rejected:

SubGPA: 3.9 cumGPA: 3.9

Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: Good references. One is my Masters' thesis supervisor and the other is a physiotherapist I have volunteered for (>100 hours).

First choice: Western

Applying a few years after undergrad (age 25) so I am really crossing my fingers to get in this year.

Lol Im 42 with 2 kids, your a young pup

Applied: Western, Queen's, Mac, UofT all for OT

Accepted:

Waitlisted:

Rejected:

sGPA: 3.72

cGPA: 3.6

Perceived strengths: I think my references are pretty strong, but I have no OT specific experience besides doing a job shadow for a day. I have a lot of other relevant volunteer, extracurricular, and job experience though I think/hope!

I hope the bubble has burst too! It's heartbreaking to see what cutoffs were just 3 years ago.

Applied: UofA, UofT, Western, Mac, Queen's (all PT)

Accepted: UofA

Waitlisted:

Rejected: Mac, UofT, Western

GPA: cumGPA: 3.68 subGPA: 3.72; 3.88 for UofA

Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: I was really happy with my Queen's personal submission and I have references from a really picky professor and the physio from my volunteer placement. The volunteer position was really hands-on, so hopefully she has a lot of practical references to make!

My first choice is UofA.