Premed 101 Forums

On 12/11/2019 at 10:11 AM, rmorelan said:

that is a two part problem 

1) ABR - as any Canadian residency program in Rads is also accredited in the US we can all write the ABR exam. Not usual to do that as practice prior to the Canadian one really. We seamlessly can write their tests, and they can write ours. 

2) Many states do require the USMLE - but not all - for full state medical license. For that reason and also to access the same full medical license during US fellowships and thus being able to potentially moonlight some people do the USMLE exams. That also lets you go to the us on a H1B visa which is much less restrictive. However you can still go to many rad fellowships - including the ones at all the "important" schools without the USMLE exam. All the Harvard affiliated ones for instance you are covered with your LMCC exams. Canadians are special like that ha. 

doing the fellowship itself for a Canadian doesn't help in the process therefore. 

Are you able to convert from a J1 Visa to an H1B visa (or any other visa) that will allow you to stay on after your fellowship?

2 minutes ago, member_225 said:

what is their overhead? are there a lot of jobs available? 

Zero overhead. They are hospital based. Most work 9-5 and there are some evenings. Nights usually locums out. They get about 10-12 weeks off a year. 

not surprisingly there are not many jobs and they are hard to come by

1 hour ago, Raptors905 said:

Most work 9-5 and there are some evenings. 

This is a logically impossible statement for the income stated (not to mention that large hospitals have high acuity and volumes around the clock). Anyone can check the Schedule of Benefits for how much a case is reimbursed (for example, take one of the most common exams in the hospital setting, a single view chest = 6.40). Who seeks to benefit from such misinformation?

13 minutes ago, Lactic Folly said:

This is a logically impossible statement for the income stated (not to mention that large hospitals have high acuity and volumes around the clock). Anyone can check the Schedule of Benefits for how much a case is reimbursed (for example, take one of the most common exams in the hospital setting, a single view chest = 6.40). Who seeks to benefit from such misinformation?

Not at all - they locum to real Time radiology. Some do call themselves (1 in 8 or so) others have gone RTR  

i can give you the name of many Rads that make this according to what I described. It can be verified using the Toronto Star website. 

im a practicing doc. Im not making up anything. Message me offline if you want proof and I’ll give it to you. I swear on my kids and career this is true 

most money is made on MRI and CT scans not CXR

On 12/18/2019 at 7:34 PM, member_225 said:

what is their overhead? are there a lot of jobs available? 

I want to point out that this person is a pre med who hasn’t even applied to med school yet and DM me asking a bunch of salary questions for various specialties and essentially had me waste a long time thinking I was talking to med student or resident. 

honestly please stop asking about job market and salaries for various specialties until you are actually in med school or even accepted. If all you are doing is trying to figure out if you will make enough money to bother applying to med school do us all a favour and find another career path 

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, rmorelan said:

.... we do? (taking notes for my job search). 

The pay is quite well - I wouldn't say the academic hospitals in the GTA you earn that much. 

I mean large community hospitals to be more acurrate. 

places like Brampton, Mississauga, Waterloo, Scarborough etc. They are all in and around that mark in general. Just check the Toronto star 

6 minutes ago, Tullius said:

I'm not sure what to make of the Star's data to be honest.  Somehow I doubt the median billing for Emergency Medicine is $30,000 a year.  Unless most EM docs are compensated primarily from non-OHIP sources, which would be news to me.

salaried positions with some shadow billing. So the chart won't reflect that I am suspecting. 

6 hours ago, Let'sGo1990 said:

I'm curious - where did the OMA end up landing with the specialty pay disparity equalization process? Or was that all pretty much abandoned due to the backlash?

Very minor changes.

If I remember correctly you were in neurology? As an example, neurology ranked in the bottom 4 from a relativity perspective, so the ~500 neurologists in Ontario were essentially awarded an extra 5 million/year total to help with relativity (roughly 10k each lol). Laughable when a group of 5 optho/rads could essentially make that amount.

On 1/16/2020 at 3:00 PM, Tullius said:

I'm not sure what to make of the Star's data to be honest.  Somehow I doubt the median billing for Emergency Medicine is $30,000 a year.  Unless most EM docs are compensated primarily from non-OHIP sources, which would be news to me.

They are salaries. Look up ER docs at Brampton and Etobickoe and Mackenzie and Trillium. They still get all FFS with no overhead and are allowed to work as much as they want 

1 hour ago, PhD2MD said:

Very minor changes.

If I remember correctly you were in neurology? As an example, neurology ranked in the bottom 4 from a relativity perspective, so the ~500 neurologists in Ontario were essentially awarded an extra 5 million/year total to help with relativity (roughly 10k each lol). Laughable when a group of 5 optho/rads could essentially make that amount.

Yeah it’s all minor although the Rads are fighting this hard like David Jacobs. After all huge difference between 1.2 and 1.1 mill a year