Premed 101 Forums

Who take care of cyto-molecular test ?

Hi there,

I'm new resident in medical genetic and I have an interest in molecular genetics. I know there are a lot of overlap between patho and genetic for cytology and molecular test.

I'd to know if a genetic guy with fellowship on molecular genetic can have a career that combines molecular test works (cancer diagnosis or subtype...) and some clinical work like adult genetic ?

Any comment will be very appreciated !!

gen-guy

Hi there,

I'm new resident in medical genetic and I have an interest in molecular genetics. I know there are a lot of overlap between patho and genetic for cytology and molecular test.

I'd to know if a genetic guy with fellowship on molecular genetic can have a career that combines molecular test works (cancer diagnosis or subtype...) and some clinical work like adult genetic ?

Any comment will be very appreciated !!

gen-guy

Path resident here.

Of course policies are country dependent, province dependent and even center dependent.

As a rule of thumb, pathologists oversee tumor genetics and geneticists work with syndromic and constitutional genetics (interpretation and quality control). Most of the time, it's an interdisciplinary team that comprises medical geneticists, pathologists, phds, technicians and even clinicians (surgeons, oncologists etc). I worked with geneticists and those with a fellowship in lab genetics can still continue to see patients.

Keep in mind that when it comes to cancers, genetics testing isn't usually diagnostic but is mostly used as an ancillary technique that gives prognostic and therapeutical information (HER2 in breast, ALK/EGFR lung etc). Translocations help to diagnose many hematological and msk malignancies (9;22 cml, *11;22 ewing etc), but they have a confirmatory role since the diagnosis is almost certain with conventional morphology and immunohistochemistry.

I don't know if you include flow cytometry when you talk about molecular genetics but flow is interpreted mostly by pathologists, hematopathologists, and sometimes hematologists.

Peace

Path resident here.

Of course policies are country dependent, province dependent and even center dependent.

As a rule of thumb, pathologists oversee tumor genetics and geneticists work with syndromic and constitutional genetics (interpretation and quality control). Most of the time, it's an interdisciplinary team that comprises medical geneticists, pathologists, phds, technicians and even clinicians (surgeons, oncologists etc). I worked with geneticists and those with a fellowship in lab genetics can still continue to see patients.

Thanks Thebouque, your post is very helpful !

Do you know what are traditional policies in Quebec for this purpose ? And if I want to work in adult genetic (I'm quite intolerant with pediatric) do you know cytogenetic fellowship or molecular genetic fellowship is better ?

I'm in peace now :)

d those with a fellowship in lab genetics can still continue to see patients.

Thanks Thebouque, your post is very helpful !

Do you know what are traditional policies in Quebec for this purpose ? And if I want to work in adult genetic (I'm quite intolerant with pediatric) do you know cytogenetic fellowship or molecular genetic fellowship is better ?

I'm in peace now :)

Thanks,

I really don't know what's better between a cytogenetics or a molecular fellowship; I didn't even know they were 2 separate fellowships :S

Traditional policies in Quebec are not strict, but the ones I mentioned above apply to Qc as well

Archived