Premed 101 Forums

McGill to 4.3 scale

For example, you have a GLOBAL GPA of 3.7 at McGee

Univ Laval does this following conversion.

3.7 / 4.0 = x / 4.33

x is your laval GPA

after that, they look it up in their cote R Laval grill according to your gpa out of 4.33 and your programme

UdeM too, and Sherbrooke too (supposedly)

I assume they would take the % grade for your courses and convert them using the following.

80-84.9 = A- = 3.7

85-89.9 = A = 4.0

>90 = A+ = 4.3

They have about 3 months to make the school assessment (conversion of GPA to R score) of about 1500 university applicants. They don't have time to start converting every single grade. And also, as athledemic says, McGill, as well as most universities only have the letter grades (A B C ...) on the transcript, and it's the ONLY document being sent between universities. Therefore, they have no interest in knowing the single grades in every single class because they don't have the standard deviation in every single class, and if they did, again, they won't have time to start playing with the % grades.

McGill doesn't release percentage grades...at all. No one knows if their A is because they got an 84.5% in a course or a 99%

Edit: would be great too if you ban they people who advertise Invisalign on UdeM

• 5 years later...

I'd like to revive this post plz hahah

Does anyone know how it works at UdeM?

Is it like a 4.0 at mcgill = 4.3 at UdeM and whatever that is under 4.0 at mcgill stays the same at UdeM (ex.: 3.7 Mcgill = 3.7 Udem, but 4.0 Mcgill = 4.3 Udem) ?

Can someone who went through it tell me plz?

On 12/24/2019 at 7:11 PM, ABCD13 said:

Would this apply to Concordia? Going from Concordia GPA on a 4.3 scale to McGill 4.0 scale? Would my 4.0 at Concordia be a 4.0 at McGill?

Going from ConU to McGill is as follows:

Any classes you had 4.3s in become 4.0s. And any classes you had 4.0s in become 3.9s. And then they recalculate your overall GPA

10 hours ago, mcgillmdbd said:

No actually, a 4.0 at ConU is a 4.0 at McGill. 

oh yea? i didn't know.

Do you guys know how McGill's scale is converted to the 4.3 scale (at UdeM for example) ? 

Let's say I have the following grades, will they be converted like this?:

B ---> B
A ---> A+
A- --> A-
A ---> A+

13 hours ago, mcgillmdbd said:

No actually, a 4.0 at ConU is a 4.0 at McGill. 

True. Verified this with admissions today and it also states it in their workbook document (PDF).

It has always been stated on this form that a 4.0 at Concordia is a 3.9 at McGill, but just so every one knows officially: McGill will only take the LETTER grade at Concordia, not the numerical GPA grade. This means that an A+ (4.3) and an A (4.0) at Concordia is a 4.0 at McGill. After that, everything is equivalent. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/3/2020 at 2:44 PM, ABCD13 said:

True. Verified this with admissions today and it also states it in their workbook document (PDF).

It has always been stated on this form that a 4.0 at Concordia is a 3.9 at McGill, but just so every one knows officially: McGill will only take the LETTER grade at Concordia, not the numerical GPA grade. This means that an A+ (4.3) and an A (4.0) at Concordia is a 4.0 at McGill. After that, everything is equivalent. 

Is it only applicable for Concordia ? What about Udem ?