Premed 101 Forums

Canadian Accepted to US Med. School-Ask Me Anything

Canadian medical school > American MD school > UK CSA (Atlantic bridge) = Australian CSA > St. George CSA > Other Caribbean CSAs = other international CSA.

Just happened on this topic randomly, but could you or anyone else explain why St. George is a better option than other Caribbean schools? And why Australia and UK over the Carib? (I apologize if this has already been discussed in the international schools section, but I couldn't seem to find any details when I checked!)

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just happened on this topic randomly, but could you or anyone else explain why St. George is a better option than other Caribbean schools? And why Australia and UK over the Carib? (I apologize if this has already been discussed in the international schools section, but I couldn't seem to find any details when I checked!)

They say St Georges is better because they have the best facilities, have matched the most grads, have 50 state approval and have somewhat higher standards than other schools.

They say Australia and Ireland and UK over Caribbean mostly because these 3 countries have higher entry standards (are seen as more reputable as they simultaneously train their own grads) and most have some way of letting CSAs stay although they never guarantee anything. In practice so far everyone who graduates gets a 1-2 year internship at least if they want it. Although Ireland and Australia are more popular among CSAs as they cater to Canadians more, have a simpler application process and are slightly easier to get in.

All of these choices are expensive.

• 4 months later...

Hey! I was just wondering if someone could help me out on this. I live in Quebec and am entering university in the winter 2015 semester.  Im in my last semester at CEGEP (its a 2-year college before uni). I did all the pre-reqs like organic, bio, physics etc. However I did not have the greatest score on them and even failed organic I. I wanted to know if American Med Schools only care if you have completed the pre-reqs or they look at the grades too. If they look at the grades then i would need to take them again in university during my UG in order to improve them. If anyone knows about this please reply! Thanks so much!

Hey! I was just wondering if someone could help me out on this. I live in Quebec and am entering university in the winter 2015 semester.  Im in my last semester at CEGEP (its a 2-year college before uni). I did all the pre-reqs like organic, bio, physics etc. However I did not have the greatest score on them and even failed organic I. I wanted to know if American Med Schools only care if you have completed the pre-reqs or they look at the grades too. If they look at the grades then i would need to take them again in university during my UG in order to improve them. If anyone knows about this please reply! Thanks so much!

Every school has different pre-req requirements, I'm not sure if some have a specific grade requirements for them, some don't have them at all. All your courses count for GPA, so their score will be looked at. Weather those scores are considered more important than other courses will vary by school.

Hey, do you have any recommendations to schools to apply to with a 12PS 8VR 12BS MCAT and a good GPA?

This will depend on the GPA as well as the other components of your application, I recommend getting the MSAR to see what the general MCAT and GPAs are of accepted students and prioritize accordingly.

Hey, do you have any recommendations to schools to apply to with a 12PS 8VR 12BS MCAT and a good GPA?

How good is your cGPA on AMCAS? what's your science GPA (Bio,Che,Phy,Math) ?

MCAT 32 is OK, let's assume cGPA is 3.8 science GPA not far away, your LizzyM score is 3.8x10+32 = 70 which put you in the lower to middle tier schools.

Like Albert Einstien, SUNY-Upstate, New York Med. College,Penn State, Wayne State, Oakland,  etc. These are Canadian friendly schools near Ottawa, Ontario, where I live.

Looking for US school suggestions.... GPA is too low for Canada.... PhD-holder with strong research background & good MCAT.

uGPA: 3.65 (3.85 last 2 years) - from top-20 US college

MCAT: 35

MSc from Oxbridge in England

PhD from top-Ivy League University in USA

~10 published papers, some top-tier journals

Looking for US school suggestions.... GPA is too low for Canada.... PhD-holder with strong research background & good MCAT.

OP should shed some light on this but I think for this year's cycle, it's a little too late to submit an application; no harm in trying of course. 

Extremely strong chances at all MD schools that accept internationals.

The fact that you did your undergrad and PhD in the US is a big bonus. You will have no problem gaining at least 1 acceptance. Apply broadly to all USMD schools that you fit, especially research intensive schools. 

Apply early next cycle on the first day, and you will be set up for a strong shot!

ALSO For Canada:

Your 2 years of 3.85 puts you with a strong shot at interview with UWO and Queens. Toronto is a strong shot as well since you have a MsC and PhD and fairly decent GPA with strong trend.  McMaster is a shot too depending on your MCAT breakdown.

Don't be so hard on yourself.

What will determine your competitiveness is your MCAT breakdown?

Thanks - I appreciate the input and encouragements. 

MCAT is fairly balanced with 12 11 12....

For Canadian schools you are gauranteed an interview with UWO as long as their verbal doesn't jump a point. 

Very strong shot at Queens, McMaster(do well on casper) and UToronto with your research background.

Having a 12 in bio and 11 in verbal has opened up many doors for you.

Also apply to UofCalgary, you stand a decent shot there as well - even as an OOP. They drop your lowest year.

• 6 months later...

Hi,

I applied really really late to American schools (November 4th) and got rejected from every school which I am not surprised about now after doing some homework on rolling admissions.

The next cycle opens sometime in mid May of this year. If I have a GPA: 3.82 with a sGPA: 3.78 and an MCAT: 24 (9/6/9) with the 6 being in (VR). What would my chances be if I applied at the beginning of May to a few African American schools (Howard, Meharry, Morehouse...any other suggestions)?

Some insight would be helpful. Thanks

p.s: I'm from an African origin

Hi,

I applied really really late to American schools (November 4th) and got rejected from every school which I am not surprised about now after doing some homework on rolling admissions.

The next cycle opens sometime in mid May of this year. If I have a GPA: 3.82 with a sGPA: 3.78 and an MCAT: 24 (9/6/9) with the 6 being in (VR). What would my chances be if I applied at the beginning of May to a few African American schools (Howard, Meharry, Morehouse...any other suggestions)?

Some insight would be helpful. Thanks

p.s: I'm from an African origin

To be honest, the only thing that may help is your "african origin" if it means you get to qualify as a URM. 

Otherwise your MCAT is really low.  Why not retake it? If you retake and get 30+ your options will open up.

I would apply to all the HBC MD schools like the ones you listed. Begin preparing for an retake - I just don't think that potential URM status, will negate a 24 MCAT for an international student. The MCAT is just a small step, so why not retake it and do it properly to improve?

It also depends on how strong your ECs are. 

I have a question! 

How important is shadowing, which appears to come up in the American applications ?

I have 0 connections to any Dr's (rural Canada, haven't had a family doctor in my entire life) 

I tried endlessly, but I'm in a university town now (with a med school) and got 'no' due to legalities because of the medical school affiliations and insurance and whatnot. I have been volunteering in an ER, but will the lack of this shadowing people talk about be an issue?

(I will be applying with a 35/3.8 (4.0 in every year but first year....opps :P )

thanks you :)

I have a question! 

How important is shadowing, which appears to come up in the American applications ?

I have 0 connections to any Dr's (rural Canada, haven't had a family doctor in my entire life) 

I tried endlessly, but I'm in a university town now (with a med school) and got 'no' due to legalities because of the medical school affiliations and insurance and whatnot. I have been volunteering in an ER, but will the lack of this shadowing people talk about be an issue?

(I will be applying with a 35/3.8 (4.0 in every year but first year....opps :P )

thanks you :)

You are unlikely to find a physician to shadow in Canada without personal connection. Your best bet is to go south of the border for shadowing experience (5 hours a week for a month would suffice). However, shadowing is really only for your benefit and isn't that heavily emphasized by MD schools. As long as you have extensive clinical experience (volunteering/working with patients, etc.), you should be good.

You are unlikely to find a physician to shadow in Canada without personal connection. Your best bet is to go south of the border for shadowing experience (5 hours a week for a month would suffice). However, shadowing is really only for your benefit and isn't that heavily emphasized by MD schools. As long as you have extensive clinical experience (volunteering/working with patients, etc.), you should be good.

haha oh my, do people actually do that? 

I do not have that kind of cash to throw away, but it is good to know it's not needed! I can't say I have extensive expeirience, but I've been volunteering each week since September so hopefully that is sufficient

haha oh my, do people actually do that?

I do not have that kind of cash to throw away, but it is good to know it's not needed! I can't say I have extensive expeirience, but I've been volunteering each week since September so hopefully that is sufficient

Your stats are great and make you competitive for all US schools that take Canadians, it just depends on your overall ECs(leadership especially) for the higher tier schools.

To be honest, the only thing that may help is your "african origin" if it means you get to qualify as a URM. 

Otherwise your MCAT is really low.  Why not retake it? If you retake and get 30+ your options will open up.

I would apply to all the HBC MD schools like the ones you listed. Begin preparing for an retake - I just don't think that potential URM status, will negate a 24 MCAT for an international student. The MCAT is just a small step, so why not retake it and do it properly to improve?

It also depends on how strong your ECs are. 

I know my 24 is really low. I've written the MCAT 3 times and the verbal is what continues to be my achilles tendon. During the practice tests for my third attempt I would consistently end up with 6's or 7's. During my final attempt which I gave my absolute all I once again got a 6 in VR which was really sad

Archived