Premed 101 Forums

Canadian Accepted to US Med. School-Ask Me Anything

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for your help guys, but as for the "american school" what I mean is that you do have a good chance of American Residency...It may not be ideal yes but from what I've read and heard, doing well on USMLE will atleast get you into the US. I know a few people who are doing this so it's definitely not impossible, coming to Canada for a residency probably is impossible but I guess I dont really mind doing my residency elsewhere. 

Thanks for your help guys, but as for the "american school" what I mean is that you do have a good chance of American Residency...It may not be ideal yes but from what I've read and heard, doing well on USMLE will atleast get you into the US. I know a few people who are doing this so it's definitely not impossible, coming to Canada for a residency probably is impossible but I guess I dont really mind doing my residency elsewhere. 

Definitely not impossible - not at all, 1000s of IMGs match in the US ever year.

The big thing is, with Health Canada restrictions - it is getting much harder to secure interviews in the US as an IMG. Ask anyone who is in the current match, and majority will say they received way less interviews than their upper classmates used to. 

Canadian USDOs I know are getting 3-4x more interview invites, with less applications.

And on average, quality of programs are better as well.

At the end of the day, on average, IMGs get less interview invites, to less strong programs(this is all relative but still), and have to have higher USMLE board scores than their US counterparts, who would get more interviews, to likely stronger programs with lower board scores. Not to mention, that by attending a US school you get access to the F1-OPTI visa which you can use for your R1 year, should you get unlucky and not get the SON you need to get a J1 visa. If that happened as an IMG, you would be sitting out a year, on a mountain of debt -praying you get accepted to a residency again the 2nd time around.

Why CCFP? Are Canadian DO's practically limited to FM?

It was the easiest one to write out thats all.  

A Canadian DO has zero limitation on what they can practice, just like a carribean or Irish grad or anyone else who has a medical degree and the appropriate residency training.

Heres a quick one: https://www.linkedin.com/in/tracy-cupido-1a411591

As a US DO, you are applying to the US match as any other US grad.

If you go to the Caribbean, you apply to the US match as a foreign medical graduate. US grads are preferred. Then, US residents from international schools. Then you. if you have the choice, why put yourself at such a high risk?

Look up statistics, DO students have much higher chances of matching in the states

Hey! 

So I applied to VCU, Wayne State, UNC and UKentucky and got secondaries only for the first 3. I did a lot of research on this before applying and found these to be the schools with the highest matriculation rates for Canadians (with my qualifications i.e. >3.9CGPA, 12BS 9VR 10PS and good ECs+shadowing), would you agree that these are Canadian-friendly schools? I haven't heard back from anyone yet, and I submitted them end of September, so I'm getting slightly nervous.

Also, I'm considering applying to the St. George in the Caribbean if all else fails- and from what I've heard/read, I'm under the impression that it is considered an american medical school as well. That being said, would you say that chances of coming back to Canada for a residency (or perhaps after residency) would have the same chances as an american medical student given the same USMLE scores?

Thanks a ton! 

I didn't apply to VCU, UNC and Kentucky. Wayne State and most MD/DO schools in Michigan state are very Canadian friendly if they accept Canadian.

In my experiences, each USMD school has its process and schedule. Last year I submitted my primary application and verified by AMCAS in late July or the beginning of August and completed all my secondary applications to a handful schools in August. I got 3 interviews, in Dec, Jan. and Feb (Wayne state). You just have to wait since you were late in this game.

If you have some major update to your application, like completed another semester with GPA 3.9+, completed another 100+ hours volunteering, completed another 100+ hours research, published papers, got awards, etc, you can (and should in my opinion) update your secondary application before or after X'mas  to give yourself a better chance for an interview invitation.

If you don't have major update, just wait. End of September is not hopeless, BUT IT'S VERY LATE. and your LizzyM scores 70.x didn't help your late application at all, in my opinion.

Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, just by reading this thread I found you guys to be super helpful. I was wondering if you guys could give me a bit of advice as I'm in a similar situation.

I'm in my third year (undergrad) at a top Canadian university, planning to apply to both US and Canadian schools this summer. I'm a Canadian Permanent Resident and have a varied South Asian and Middle Eastern ethnic background. I come from a family of doctor's (I saw someone mention that this could be helpful, any idea how?). These will be my stats by the time I apply this summer.

CGPA- 3.68 (3.1 first year, 4.0 second year and 3.9 third year)

Major - Economics (BA degree) + Pre- med curriculum (advantage or disadvantage)?

Science GPA - 3.75

Academic Excellence Scholarship

MCAT - To be taken this summer as well

EC's -

Varsity + national and international level rugby

Professional wheelchair rugby coach (4 hours a week) with local team

350 hours + of shadowing doctors in General Surgery department of a government hospital in India

100+ hours of volunteering at a neurological institute in Canada

Research Assistant to a history professor

Music scholarships

I'm new to this and am finding it quite stressful, especially since I'm a resident of BC, which puts my best odds with only one school (UBC) and have been hearing a lot of discouragement about applying to the states.

How do my chances look at schools like UofT, UBC, McMaster and Calgary? What about some top tier schools in the USA? Is it worth applying or not?

Thank you guys so much!

Hey, just by reading this thread I found you guys to be super helpful. I was wondering if you guys could give me a bit of advice as I'm in a similar situation.

I'm in my third year (undergrad) at a top Canadian university, planning to apply to both US and Canadian schools this summer. I'm a Canadian Permanent Resident and have a varied South Asian and Middle Eastern ethnic background. I come from a family of doctor's (I saw someone mention that this could be helpful, any idea how?). These will be my stats by the time I apply this summer.

Major - Economics (BA degree) + Pre- med curriculum (advantage or disadvantage)?

Science GPA - 3.75

EC's -

350 hours + of shadowing doctors in General Surgery department of a government hospital in India

Music scholarships

I'm new to this and am finding it quite stressful, especially since I'm a resident of BC, which puts my best odds with only one school (UBC) and have been hearing a lot of discouragement about applying to the states.

How do my chances look at schools like UofT, UBC, McMaster and Calgary? What about some top tier schools in the USA? Is it worth applying or not?

Thank you guys so much!

You're reading too many SDN posts if you're talking about "top" Canadians schools

Science GPA - 3.75

EC's -

Music scholarships

Thank you guys so much!

I think around half or more USMD schools don't accept Canadian.

I maybe wrong, but I think 90% USMD don't accept  Canadian Permanent Resident especially those who had some UG education outside of North America.

Wayne State University MD admission page clearly marked that they only accept US citizen, US PR, and Canada citizen. Here's the link http://admissions.med.wayne.edu/nonresident.php.

So you need to find  USMD accept Canadian Permanent Resident first.

Without MCAT scores, it's hard to say your chance, your GPA and ECs look O.K.

Given these stats which US schools would you target?

Science GPA - 3.9

Major - Economics (BA degree) + Pre- med curriculum 

MCAT - To be taken this summer (assuming a good score)

EC's -

200 + hours of Research in Historical sources 

Science GPA - 3.75

EC's -

Music scholarships

Thank you guys so much!

I don't know about the US, but for Canada it's going to be tricky with a sub 3.7, except for UBC if you're considered IP there.

Mac gives 90% of their interviews to ontario people, so you'd need a crazy CARS score to get an interview likely. UofT also has a pretty high GPA requirement, usually >3.9 for undergrads, but they'll drop 3 courses if you have taken 5 courses per term so that could help.

UBC is probably the best option at this point, your GPA is just a bit on the low side for the rest at the moment.

As for US, i don't know much, but I do know they value the MCAT a lot and it's impossible to say where you could apply without a score

Also.....it means nothing that your family are doctors.I'm not sure why you think this would help. There also aren't 'Top' schools that will help you applying so I'm not sure where that came from. Basically, you should read the websites of the places you want to apply. They make it pretty clear who they're looking for and what they value

Obviously I know its very hard to say without an MCAT score, but lets say I manage to pull my GPA up to a 3.69/3.7. Considering I get a 4.0 in second and third year, would that not count for something? My science GPA would be close to a 4.0 as well. 
I also feel that my EC's are very good, which would make me a good candidate at many US schools. Is this a fair assumption?

Of course it would count for "something" to strengthen your gpa -- US schools love to see an upward trend and there are no absurdly high GPA cutoffs like Canada.  They also tend to pay more attention to the breadth and depth of your course load than Canadian schools.

Your EC's seem solid besides a lack of research. US schools definitely care about ECs.

Your biggest obstacle IMO is your status as a non-Canadian international applicant, which will greatly limit where you can even apply.

That said, given strong MCAT I think you should apply to the US schools where you are eligible.

Of course it would count for "something" to strengthen your gpa -- US schools love to see an upward trend and there are no absurdly high GPA cutoffs like Canada.  They also tend to pay more attention to the breadth and depth of your course load than Canadian schools.

Your EC's seem solid besides a lack of research. US schools definitely care about ECs.

Your biggest obstacle IMO is your status as a non-Canadian international applicant, which will greatly limit where you can even apply.

That said, given strong MCAT I think you should apply to the US schools where you are eligible.

To the OP, how long until your Canadian PR transitions to citizenship?

Also, if by going to the US, would you lose your PR status?

Through what means did you become a Canadian PR etc.

This is going to require you to contact schools directly...but I'm not sure if being a Canadian PR or citizen would make a functional difference...at least I dont see why it would? You have more or less the same rights/visa requirements as a Canadian citizen, and you are presumably completing your undergrad at UBC in Canada. So you have canadian status and canadian education....

Definitely call a few schools up and ask them directly.

I have lived in Canada for a long time and have my PR status renewed. It will be around 1 year till I can apply to citizenship which will take another 2 to be approved and then granted. 

By going to the US I would not lose my PR status. I have emailed most of the schools and am waiting to hear back!

Thank you!

I have lived in Canada for a long time and have my PR status renewed. It will be around 1 year till I can apply to citizenship which will take another 2 to be approved and then granted. 

By going to the US I would not lose my PR status. I have emailed most of the schools and am waiting to hear back!

Thank you!

Through what means are you appying for citizenship via PR? Usually there are certain requirements for PR that you have to be in Canada for X amount of days etc.  But if you are sure about that, then that is fine.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I wanted to know if anyone of this forum had information in regards to a Canadian citizen who will complete his medical degree in the usa and plans to come back to do residency in Canada? 

Any thoughts on that and if it will be difficult. 

I know I will still be considered somewhat of a CMG but not fully. However, I will not be an IMG. I am interested in family medicine. Let me know what y'all think. Thanks (y)

Hi guys,

I wanted to know if anyone of this forum had information in regards to a Canadian citizen who will complete his medical degree in the usa and plans to come back to do residency in Canada? 

Any thoughts on that and if it will be difficult. 

I know I will still be considered somewhat of a CMG but not fully. However, I will not be an IMG. I am interested in family medicine. Let me know what y'all think. Thanks (y)

USMD program, get some electives and doing Family Med through CaRMS shouldn't be bad at all. Unlikely to be terribly different than CMGs who did their education in Canada, the disadvantage is you don't have a "home" Canadian school. But if you do electives and do well, should be fine especially for FM.

• 2 weeks later...

USMD program, get some electives and doing Family Med through CaRMS shouldn't be bad at all. Unlikely to be terribly different than CMGs who did their education in Canada, the disadvantage is you don't have a "home" Canadian school. But if you do electives and do well, should be fine especially for FM.

Is this really a disadvantage? Is there any data to back up that a USMD grad that is Canadian has any issues with getting a Canadian residency at all?

Is this really a disadvantage? Is there any data to back up that a USMD grad that is Canadian has any issues with getting a Canadian residency at all?

I think the disadvantage is simply that you would not have a "home" school like all the CMGs do.  Weather or not it is a true disadvantage is way to hard to tell and there is not any strong data to say one or the other due to small sample sizes.

Add to the fact that you would be spreading yourself between CaRMs and NRMP, so if you were going for anything competitive, you would be splitting limited electives between the two matches. 

• 4 weeks later...

There're 4 Canadian MD schools mainly look at GPA/MCAT scores - Western Ontario, McMaster, Manitoba and Saskatchewan that your daughter will have 50% or higher chance for interview, after interview, Saskatchewan 100% based on interview, McMaster is 70%, Manitoba is 45%, so interview is very important. Other Canadian MD schools may put some weight (about 50% ) on ECs, essays and references before interview.

For AMCAS timing and essays are very important, apply 1st day at the end of May or 1st day in June, submit every documents and complete primary application in June or July, complete each school's secondary application in a few days when you invited. pre-write essays from SDN before May to shorten your application time. Hospital/clinic experiences are very important to USMD, family or any relationship in medical field will help your daughter's application. Reference letters are very important too, need at least 6 letters, each american MD school need different letters, some ask no more than 3, some ask at least 4, some 6, some no limit. Some one professor, some two professors, some three. some at least one science professor, some at least one non-science professor. some accept family friend, most don't. So you will need at least 6 reference letters to cover most USMD.

1 Science professor from your faculty

1 Science professor from other faculty

1 non-science professor

2 manager or administrator from work/volunteering

1 family friend 

Only apply to Canadian friendly schools from premed101's list unless your daughter was born in USA.

Good luck.

My daughter is studying at Queen's and it is very difficult to get letter from Science/Non-Science professors as there are hundreds in each class and profs. don't know the student personally. How do students manage to meet these specific requirements in such situation. 

My daughter is studying at Queen's and it is very difficult to get letter from Science/Non-Science professors as there are hundreds in each class and profs. don't know the student personally. How do students manage to meet these specific requirements in such situation.

That is up to your daughter...not you to do. She will need to figure that out on her own.

Archived