Premed 101 Forums
Sign in to follow this  
SmokedSalmon

For YorkU alum or current student

I applied to return to York to do a second undergrad. Even though I was an alum of York (graduated in 2008 from there with my first degree) they still have not yet sent admission info to me for Fall 2014 Term (applied in Dec 2013 and it still says "Decision Pending"). I already sent them all my transcripts and other documents they wanted (and even called to talk to a rep to make sure they arrived).

I am terribly nervous right now, since based on my memory undergrads can start picking their Fall term courses in May. Now, I know that was back in the day and this may have changed. If it is still May, not having received an admission offer to come back for undergrad makes me very worried - it will be immensely difficult to get into the courses I want :( :( :(

Can any recent grads or better, current students of YorkU confirm if May is the time they start racing online against the crowds to pick their Fall term courses?

Thanks!

I applied to York for a second undergrad last year (Feb) and was accepted in less than a month. And they urged me to make course selection appointments immediately. I even made one but didn't go because I declined their offer of admission, but the appointment was definitely before early April and I was one of the late ones because I applied later than your typical high school students. So yeah, CALL THEM.

I applied to York last year in January and was accepted early May, but I had applied to another program earlier (before I made the premed decision), and the last day to reject that decision was the first of May.

You should consider calling, but don't be too worried.

Thanks summergirl and falling.

After a long wait (despite calling and such), I ended up just receiving admission a day ago but to a program I don't want (they refuse to allow me into a 4-year degree program). Both my first and second choices were refused :(

I am just thinking I have to go with Athabasca.......

If anyone had same experiences with trouble getting into a 2nd undergrad, please give me a shout. I feel stranded.

Thanks summergirl and falling.

After a long wait (despite calling and such), I ended up just receiving admission a day ago but to a program I don't want (they refuse to allow me into a 4-year degree program). Both my first and second choices were refused :(

I am just thinking I have to go with Athabasca.......

If anyone had same experiences with trouble getting into a 2nd undergrad, please give me a shout. I feel stranded.

Aw man that sucks so much. I am graduating from york this summer (just finished my second degree), and I can tell you that enrollments do NOT start in May; they start in early June. However, they will block your enrollment until you have gone to an enrollment appointment with an advisor. I can't remember anymore when I applied, but I remember the wait was not that long.

York's registrar office is a really hit and miss when you call them. Once I called and a (rather rude) person told me one answer, and then I called again to double check the next day and a (much nicer) person gave me a totally different answer.

Maybe try to call (again, I know) and try to see why they rejected you - did you miss a certain deadline? Or it might be possible that your grades from your first degree were not high enough, as they have like a C+ requirement I think (I may be mistaken on this though).

Hope things pull together for you!

You can switch into a 4 year degree if your GPA is above 5/9 or something like that. I was admitted into a 3 year degree, but my GPA after first year is like 8.8/9 and I'll be in a 4 year program.

Edit: Just to clarify; I was admitted into the 3 year, Bachelor of Science (non-honours). My current Academic Decision says the following:

May proceed in Honours program. Member of Dean's Honour Roll.

The honours programs are all 4 year degrees.

Thanks medhopeful64! Curious, did you get any med admissions? :D

Hi Falling: Thanks so much for sharing you experience. I am wondering if you had to explicitly fill out a form or something to request to be put into the 4 year program (since you started out with the 3 year track)? Or did York simply pop you into the 4 year program (without any action on your part) because your grades fit their requirements? :)

Thanks medhopeful64! Curious, did you get any med admissions? :D

Hi Falling: Thanks so much for sharing you experience. I am wondering if you had to explicitly fill out a form or something to request to be put into the 4 year program (since you started out with the 3 year track)? Or did York simply pop you into the 4 year program (without any action on your part) because your grades fit their requirements? :)

They did it on their own. I am transferring from Honours Chem to Honours Biochem, but that is all.

If your GPA is over 5.0, you have the option to graduate after 90 credits with a 3 year degree, or the option to graduate after finishing 120 credits.