Premed 101 Forums

Waitlisted

Timmy

Hi,

I got waitlisted and since I didnt see anyone post about the waitlist, I was wondering if anyone knew how many people were put on the waitlist. I know Mcgill doesnt release the number or rank but is it like 10-15 or like 30-40?

IAnd does anybody know about how many people get accepted from the wait list every year?

Is there anyone on this forum who also got waitlisted? (We got get an idea of how many people are on the wait list).

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember at the interview presentation they said around 30.

Hi,

I got waitlisted and since I didnt see anyone post about the waitlist, I was wondering if anyone knew how many people were put on the waitlist. I know Mcgill doesnt release the number or rank but is it like 10-15 or like 30-40?

IAnd does anybody know about how many people get accepted from the wait list every year?

Is there anyone on this forum who also got waitlisted? (We got get an idea of how many people are on the wait list).

It depends on the year, and the category. (med-p there is a lot of movement, IP university not very much, OOP variable)

Call and ask.

When I applied (many years ago now...), they gave me a good idea of where I was on the list without giving numbers, and I was told that my chances were "slim".

While this was difficult to hear, it allowed me to move on and worry about the other schools instead of hoping for a call from McGill.

Of course, as they say "there's always a chance". Every year, someone gets that lucky phone call as late as a week into classes when a spot can open up.

... So don't give up all hope. Good luck!

I think I read somewhere on this forum that last year 5 people from the waitlist were offered an admission.

What you could do is go on the AED twitter account and count how many spots were offered for the waitlisted applicants. You can scroll through their posts and you'll see stuff like "3 OPEN SPOTS FOR WAITLIST APPLICANTS" or "1 OPEN SPOT QUEBEC UNIVERSITY LEVEL".

So far, I only know 1 person on the IP waitlist.

Do you guys think its possible that the list has gotten smaller because they know so few people decline so its pointless to keep 30 people on the waitlist when probably less than 10 will actually get accepted?

hard to speculate since mcgill explicitly said they will not release the number of wait listed applicants. im thinking most of the movement should happen around late may early june when the ontario schools come out.

that and also, the french schools which will attract the IP applicants.

Do you think many people will say no to mcgill to go to one of the french schools??

I'd say it'd be the inverse situation, if an IP applicant got an acceptance from McGill then he'd go for sure instead of turning it down since it looks to be harder to get in... that's only my 2 cents..

I'd say it'd be the inverse situation, if an IP applicant got an acceptance from McGill then he'd go for sure instead of turning it down since it looks to be harder to get in... that's only my 2 cents..

That's possible. However, I actually know people with weak English who turned down McGill and went to udem

I don't know why people think it's harder to get in McGill. 600-700 ROQ-U apply. 200 get invited for 85 spots (about 110 offers perhaps?)

Take Sherbrooke for example, I guess about 1k university cagetory students applied this year, about 150 are invited, for 35 spots (about 60 offers).

You do the math.

And there are plenty of people who do turn down McGill...

Yeah I know what you mean Arzin. Statistically, Mcgill is not the worst. However, the reason why I think it might seem harder (or easier for other people) is that they put a lot of weight on the letter and cv and then its almost 100% the interview..I guess it depends where your strengths are. Anyway, I take what you guys say as "encouraging"...I really do hope that some people decide to go somewhere else..it would make me the happiest person!!

I don't know why people think it's harder to get in McGill. 600-700 ROQ-U apply. 200 get invited for 85 spots (about 110 offers perhaps?)

Take Sherbrooke for example, I guess about 1k university cagetory students applied this year, about 150 are invited, for 35 spots (about 60 offers).

You do the math.

And there are plenty of people who do turn down McGill...

I feel the same way. Getting into sherbrooke in the university category is very hard. However, in the cegep category its almost a walk in if you got good grades. Many people who got in my year made sure they had around 42 credits, or anything short of 45 just so they could be in that category when they applied.

I feel the same way. Getting into sherbrooke in the university category is very hard. However, in the cegep category its almost a walk in if you got good grades. Many people who got in my year made sure they had around 42 credits, or anything short of 45 just so they could be in that category when they applied.

Well, Sherbrooke's process is just random imo. If you have 39+ of CAG (I mean come on, nobody should ever get something THAT high) , you pretty much have a guanranteed admission and a 5k entrance bursary ... And this applies to university category applicant, leaving those with 33-34.5 with almost no real chance.

Imo you don't need 39+ CAG to have a real chance to get in Sherbrooke.

Everything is possible once you get an interview. Of course for Sherbrooke if you have the average CAG you really need to stand out at the interview and on your TAAMUS test to have a chance to get in.

I always thought it was harder to get in McGill, but the way you put it, it seems like there is a higher %chance to get an interview at McGill if you're a ROQ-U compared to Sherbrooke. However, you really need to have great EC activities and nice reference letters.

Very interesting

Imo you don't need 39+ CAG to have a real chance to get in Sherbrooke.

Everything is possible once you get an interview. Of course for Sherbrooke if you have the average CAG you really need to stand out at the interview and on your TAAMUS test to have a chance to get in.

I always thought it was harder to get in McGill, but the way you put it, it seems like there is a higher %chance to get an interview at McGill if you're a ROQ-U compared to Sherbrooke. However, you really need to have great EC activities and nice reference letters.

Very interesting

No reference letters are required now.

A few years ago, 350 people applied each year to McGill as ROQ-U. 200 people get invited for 85 spots. Ah those golden days were jokes compared to now :D

No reference letters are required now.

A few years ago, 350 people applied each year to McGill as ROQ-U. 200 people get invited for 85 spots. Ah those golden days were jokes compared to now :D

Well, about 30% chance to get an interview nowadays it's still way better than 10-15% at Sherbrooke.

Do you think that it'd be possible to get a PT undergrad degree then apply to mdcm ... would that work in order to be considered ROQ-U and skip the med prep year?

Well, about 30% chance to get an interview nowadays it's still way better than 10-15% at Sherbrooke.

Do you think that it'd be possible to get a PT undergrad degree then apply to mdcm ... would that work in order to be considered ROQ-U and skip the med prep year?

med-P is only for cegep students. If you apply as an university students, regardless what you study, no prep year.

Well, Sherbrooke's process is just random imo. If you have 39+ of CAG (I mean come on, nobody should ever get something THAT high) , you pretty much have a guanranteed admission and a 5k entrance bursary ... And this applies to university category applicant, leaving those with 33-34.5 with almost no real chance.

Agreed, some programs last year got a very high CAG even thought the gpa wasent anything special. Someone with the same gpa as me got a 41 CAG, needless to say they were pretty much guaranteed an acceptance regardless of how they did on the interview.

But you need to be in your last semester of the degree right ? you can't be in the middle of a degree and apply .. correct?

in a typical 3 years undergrad you'd apply in your 5th semester (fall of 3rd year) and pass your interview in your last semester

un peu pas rapport, mais pourrais-je te demander pourquoi tu a refuse l'offre de Laval?

-> I've seen peeps with 3.8 - 3.9X / 4 cGPA being rejected as IP applicants ? What's the average GPA for an ROQ-U applicant to have a shot to get an interview normally?

-> J'ai appliqué à UdeM (étant en changement de programme je savais que j'avais que de très très très très minces chances de passer...) et à Laval parce que j'ai appliqué pour Pharm.D., je veux un enseignement plus orienté pratique que magistral comme à Laval, c'est la raison qui a fait que je me concentre sur UdeS désormais puisque c'est vraiment là que je veux aller, évidemment, j'avais jamais considérer même McGill avant ce soir .. haha.

Archived