Premed 101 Forums

Waitlisted

Timmy

la moyenne des ROQ-U applicants cette année c'était autour de 3.78-3.8 sur 4. Ya du monde qui a été convoqué avec 3.5 de cGPA

Est-ce que 3.78-3.8 de GPA c'est la moyenne des applicants ou la moyenne des gens convoqués à l'entrevue?

Merci!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, more people than you think get accepted off the waiting list.

It varies a lot depending on

1) the obvious- people chosing other schools (probably not a lot) and

2) Med-P's not making it through the preparatory year.

Med-P students have to meet certain criteria (refer to website) to continue on. Every year, at least a handful don't make it. That might be 3, or 10.

Then the waiting list moves.

I don't know for certain, but I think the reason they don't want to discuss details are

1)Maybe the list isn't actually a rank as much as a pool. So if student X fits a certain profile (lets say background, gender, age, whatever) and they pull out, maybe they will pick a similar student on waiting list regardless of "rank"

I want to emphasize that the differences in scores are so minute that calling them a 'rank' is kind of nonsense.

2) by the time they offer spots to some students, many will have accepted spots elsewhere. Therefore, the people who actually matriculate could be very far down the list indeed.

3) I think they wait-list a lot of candidates so that they don't come out short for any reason.

Yes, more people than you think get accepted off the waiting list.

It varies a lot depending on

1) the obvious- people chosing other schools (probably not a lot) and

2) Med-P's not making it through the preparatory year.

Med-P students have to meet certain criteria (refer to website) to continue on. Every year, at least a handful don't make it. That might be 3, or 10.

Then the waiting list moves.

I don't know for certain, but I think the reason they don't want to discuss details are

1)Maybe the list isn't actually a rank as much as a pool. So if student X fits a certain profile (lets say background, gender, age, whatever) and they pull out, maybe they will pick a similar student on waiting list regardless of "rank"

I want to emphasize that the differences in scores are so minute that calling them a 'rank' is kind of nonsense.

2) by the time they offer spots to some students, many will have accepted spots elsewhere. Therefore, the people who actually matriculate could be very far down the list indeed.

3) I think they wait-list a lot of candidates so that they don't come out short for any reason.

Very well said. I will say that there *is* in fact a specific rank order list and they don't pick applicants based off of anything but admissions score (80% MMI and 20% Pre Reqs), but the rest of your post is spot on. There is movement over the summer from some Med-Ps who don't meet the criteria for the MDCM program, as well as some movement, some deferrals (usually 5 or so) and McGill gets extra OOP seats that the other QC schools don't fill later in the summer. So there is hope!

• 2 weeks later...
any waitlist movements so far??

Ontario acceptance offers come out May 13th, so you most likely won't know until after that period when people start accepting their school of choice and rejecting other schools leaving spots for those currently waitlisted... hope this helps

• 2 weeks later...

really hope there will be movement on the waiting list from now on, now that the ontario offers are sent out today. Would anybody know how many ppl from IP apply in ontario medical schools and if they would rather go in ontario (e.g UofT) instead of McGill? And among all of you on the waiting list, are you guys IP or OOP? This waiting is crazy...

really hope there will be movement on the waiting list from now on, now that the ontario offers are sent out today. Would anybody know how many ppl from IP apply in ontario medical schools and if they would rather go in ontario (e.g UofT) instead of McGill? And among all of you on the waiting list, are you guys IP or OOP? This waiting is crazy...

Obviously everyone is different, but most IP students I spoke to would only consider UofT as an OOP school. Given the absurdly cheap tuition at McGill and the cost of living being lower than most Ontario cities (not to mention McGill being an amazing school), it's tough to justify the OOP plunge.

Although I fell in love with Queen's during the interview weekend, it just doesn't make sense financially or personally to leave... Given my family + financial situation, staying in Montreal for med school is a dream come true. It's really, really tough to say no to Queen's though, even though I've already signed a lease here in Montreal I'm having second thoughts

Just to make sure, if ever one of the waitlisters gets a spot later on the summer, will he or she have extra time to get all the necessary vaccines and all before accepting the offer or do the waitlisters need to do all the stuff right away in case they get an offer?

If you're on the waitlist- I would suggest going ahead and getting all the vaccinations in order as there is movement sometimes until the first few days of classes. As far as I know they do not grant extra time- so you should prepare in case you get an offer.

I'm not 100% sure what the deal has been the past few years. When I started they told us to try and have the vaccination record complete prior to the start of class but no later than December. Then when December rolled around and many people still had things missing, they extended their supposed 'deadline' to prior to initiation of clinical duties. I suppose with the new curriculum and earlier integration into the clinical setting that having them done earlier is better. Although maybe someone who actually takes part in the new curriculum can comment on how much actual hospital/patient exposure you have in the first year.

I suppose what I'm trying to advise is that i wouldn't start having vaccinations and blood tests and everything until I knew my position in the class was safe. getting them done doesn't cost you much (in terms of time) but I would hold off until I knew for sure.

Thanks everyone!!!

Omg this is a dream come true!!! I cried like a baby when I randomly went on minerva for the 5th time of the day and saw "admitted with condition".

But I cant accept yet because Im from mcgill...does anybody know what I have to do?

In terms of clinical setting in the first year, you could already be vaccinating others (e.g. during flu season, or peds shots) in a family medicine setting, so it makes sense to have your immunizations straightened out.

I'm not 100% sure what the deal has been the past few years. When I started they told us to try and have the vaccination record complete prior to the start of class but no later than December. Then when December rolled around and many people still had things missing, they extended their supposed 'deadline' to prior to initiation of clinical duties. I suppose with the new curriculum and earlier integration into the clinical setting that having them done earlier is better. Although maybe someone who actually takes part in the new curriculum can comment on how much actual hospital/patient exposure you have in the first year.

I suppose what I'm trying to advise is that i wouldn't start having vaccinations and blood tests and everything until I knew my position in the class was safe. getting them done doesn't cost you much (in terms of time) but I would hold off until I knew for sure.

Archived