Premed 101 Forums

Am I about to order the right MCAT self-study books?

happy123

Background university courses:

• Introduction Biology 1
  • Introduction Biology 2
  • General Chemistry 1
  • General Chemistry 2
  • Organic Chemistry 1
  • Organic Chemistry 2
  • Human Physiology 1
  • Human Physiology 2
  • Human Anatomy 1
  • Human Anatomy 2

I have not taken any physics since grade 12 (the content was the same as on the MCAT). I would like to get a comprehensive review book for physics to basically relearn all of it. I'm OK with organic chemistry for content and just want practice questions. Should I still get a review book for organic though? General Chemistry and Biology/Anatomy are in the same boat. I know the material but would probably need a big review. I should probably buy some comprehensive books for those subjects, I guess. For verbal reasoning, I have never done anything close to it. Should I just get a standard book and questions too?

So basically,

• Biology/Anatomy/General Chemistry = Review/Comprehensive review and Practice Questions
  • Organic Chemistry = Review and practice questions
  • Physics = Comprehensive review and practice questions
  • Verbal Reasoning = ?

I am planning on getting EK 1001 question books for all the subjects to get a lot of practice after studying the subjects. Would you guys recommend Kaplan, TBR, or TPR for the subjects where I need a standard review as well as the ones where I need a comprehensive review?

Also, TPR books say that they are 2010 on their website. Is this the most updated for writing an exam in fall 2014? It seems quite old.

I know this is a lot of information, but I appreciate any feedback. Thanks everyone!

I think the 2010 books should be fine, I used 2007 examkrackers for the 2013 exam and did well. For biol sciences, I think your courses have prepared you more than enough. For verbal, the EK books are great and I thought they were the most useful.

I think the 2010 books should be fine, I used 2007 examkrackers for the 2013 exam and did well. For biol sciences, I think your courses have prepared you more than enough. For verbal, the EK books are great and I thought they were the most useful.

I'll consider all of that, thanks a ton!

I actually thought the EK books for verbal were the worst and not that representative. I used kaplans which I found harder than the AAMC tests, so I felt much more prepared (I got a 14). I think the best plan is to just learn a strategy and do as many practice tests as possible. Although the strategy from princeton or EK where they tell you to allocate all your time to the first 6 passages and then just skip the 7th is ridiculous imo.

Background university courses:

• Introduction Biology 1
  • Introduction Biology 2
  • General Chemistry 1
  • General Chemistry 2
  • Organic Chemistry 1
  • Organic Chemistry 2
  • Human Physiology 1
  • Human Physiology 2
  • Human Anatomy 1
  • Human Anatomy 2

I have not taken any physics since grade 12 (the content was the same as on the MCAT). I would like to get a comprehensive review book for physics to basically relearn all of it. I'm OK with organic chemistry for content and just want practice questions. Should I still get a review book for organic though? General Chemistry and Biology/Anatomy are in the same boat. I know the material but would probably need a big review. I should probably buy some comprehensive books for those subjects, I guess. For verbal reasoning, I have never done anything close to it. Should I just get a standard book and questions too?

So basically,

• Biology/Anatomy/General Chemistry = Review/Comprehensive review and Practice Questions
  • Organic Chemistry = Review and practice questions
  • Physics = Comprehensive review and practice questions
  • Verbal Reasoning = ?

I am planning on getting EK 1001 question books for all the subjects to get a lot of practice after studying the subjects. Would you guys recommend Kaplan, TBR, or TPR for the subjects where I need a standard review as well as the ones where I need a comprehensive review?

Also, TPR books say that they are 2010 on their website. Is this the most updated for writing an exam in fall 2014? It seems quite old.

I know this is a lot of information, but I appreciate any feedback. Thanks everyone!

TPR gives a good comprehensive review of physics that's easy to understand. This also holds true for organic and general chemistry. I also didn't take physics since high school and ending up doing well on PS (got a 12). Don't worry about them being published in 2010; MCAT content hasn't changed.

If you feel confident about biology, you probably don't need all the detail that TPR goes into and might be able to save yourself some time by reading Kaplan's bio for content review.

If you're using TPR for content review I'd try and get your hands on the Hyperlearning FSQ book and work with that but keep in mind you don't want to spend too much time on FSQs as it's more important to practice with passages. The general consensus is that TBR provides excellent review for all topics but I found it harder to learn from than TPR as TPR just explains things in simpler terms--especially for physics.

For verbal, get your hands on as many passages as possible. General consensus is that EK101 and TPR Hyperlearning are the most representative of MCAT verbal but at the end of the day most important to do the AAMC full lengths.

Good luck!

TPR gives a good comprehensive review of physics that's easy to understand. This also holds true for organic and general chemistry. I also didn't take physics since high school and ending up doing well on PS (got a 12). Don't worry about them being published in 2010; MCAT content hasn't changed.

If you feel confident about biology, you probably don't need all the detail that TPR goes into and might be able to save yourself some time by reading Kaplan's bio for content review.

If you're using TPR for content review I'd try and get your hands on the Hyperlearning FSQ book and work with that but keep in mind you don't want to spend too much time on FSQs as it's more important to practice with passages. The general consensus is that TBR provides excellent review for all topics but I found it harder to learn from than TPR as TPR just explains things in simpler terms--especially for physics.

For verbal, get your hands on as many passages as possible. General consensus is that EK101 and TPR Hyperlearning are the most representative of MCAT verbal but at the end of the day most important to do the AAMC full lengths.

Good luck!

+1. For an easy to read, comprehensive review of Physics, get TPR. Their general chem is also in the same book ("Physical Sciences") so that might be a worthwhile investment to get. Their science workbook is also pretty good! (that'll give you some organic chem practice too!)

For bio, I've heard Kaplan is pretty decent, but since you've done all that human phys/anatomy (human phys being >50% of MCAT biology), then I think a more concise book should do - I'd recommend EK biology.

Verbal - get EK verbal (their 101 passages book) and AAMC materials (best resource out there is AAMC!!).

good luck!

Archived