Premed 101 Forums

Computer for Med School

And 4GB extra RAM. The 256GB model has 8GB of RAM, whereas the 128GB one has 4GB of RAM.

the ram is definitely the important thing - I mean you can just pop in an external for the HD in any case.

Off topic but I am hoping they announce the new macbook pro specs at some points soon. My current computer is 3 years old now and while it works quite well if it fails I would like the updates around so I don't have wait for them (no way I am buy the last generation at this point, they really haven't been updated in quite some time)

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And 4GB extra RAM. The 256GB model has 8GB of RAM, whereas the 128GB one has 4GB of RAM.

Oh, thanks for noticing this, I hadn't. Still, way past my budget haha.

I'm personally really happy with it so far. I'd say for people who are OK with everything else, the keyboard is the only downside. Especially if you have really large hands, I feel for you.

I think the current retina MBPs are still fairly new. I'm probably going to get a new one in the next few months, but already they all have flash drives and the more recent graphics chipsets.

most recent rMBP is late 2013. At this point im pretty sure I'm going to get a 13" rMBP but I'm still struggling to accept that at any time now they can release an upgrade.

I just can't hold out any longer for the next iteration. If anything I suspect they will release a slightly updated rMBP any time between now-Sept and then late 2014, early 2015 there will be a major overhaul with the new Broadwell CPUs.

you get 1TB of OneDrive storage now with office purchase! This alone is worth the price for me...

I usually used synctoy to sync my onenote and documents between desktop and laptops each day. Can I easily set that up on the onedrive, or is it expected that one just use 'the cloud' all the time??

For those of you with the SP3, is it comfortable to hold/carry around? I'm just wondering whether it'll be practical during clerkship or if I should keep my slightly smaller iPad.

I'm trying one out right now, and it seems just slightly more unwieldy due to size and weight. However, the flip panel at back actually makes it far easier to shift around positions and securely hold the tablet one-handed. I can hold it one handed on the couch upside down for quite a while, use my hand resting on the flip-panel while lying down, hold on one-handed while the panel is perpendicular making it like an artist's palette, etc. More comfortable than the wide-spread palm holding of the ipad for long periods.

For those of you with the SP3, is it comfortable to hold/carry around? I'm just wondering whether it'll be practical during clerkship or if I should keep my slightly smaller iPad.

Why not buy one to try it out? Unlike traditional tablets/computers, you have 30 days to return it if you are not satisfied with it.

Personally, I could not find an app that takes notes the way I like it, hence I will return it. The SP3 is definitely one of the better assembled PCs to date.

Has anyone looked at buying the new macbook pro?

its ridiculous how the retina display laptops have only 128 gb of storage (for 1300), to get 500 gb ill have to pay 1800, and this is only for the 13 inch

That is 128gb of SSD, not HDD. There's a big performance difference between the two.

Has anyone looked at buying the new macbook pro?

its ridiculous how the retina display laptops have only 128 gb of storage (for 1300), to get 500 gb ill have to pay 1800, and this is only for the 13 inch

The pricing for SSD storage upgrades suffers from the law of diminishing returns from (almost?) all hardware manufacturers. I recommend reading Raza's opinion of space on his 128GB Surface Pro 3 in this thread for some tips on making due with 128GB.

External storage and efficient use of cloud storage (see my previous post recommending ExtenDrive) should make 128GB sufficient for most of us medical students.

yeah i read up on that earlier, i would happily take the higher disk space in place of the SSD, not a fan of using an external hard drive too often

I might also point out that in addition to speed, there is one other fantastic benefit to SSDs over mechanical HDs for mobile devices: shock resistance. You need to be extremely careful with a mobile hard drive or laptop with a mechanical hard drive. SSDs are extremely resistant to drops, bumps, and g-forces, unlike traditional, mechanical hard drives. In a tiny mobile device, such as a Surface Pro 3 or a thin computer encased in solid aluminum (with very little shock absorption), having a SSD will protect your data from accidents much more than a mechanical drive.

But of course always remember to back up and never rely on one sole storage device/solution!

yeah i read up on that earlier, i would happily take the higher disk space in place of the SSD, not a fan of using an external hard drive too often

but again thats entirely personal, many people are happy with what's available now

An alternative to increasing the storage space on a Macbook Air w/o breaking the bank. http://9to5mac.com/2014/05/23/three-hacks-for-adding-permanent-storage-to-your-macbook-air-or-retina-pro-through-the-sd-card-slot/

Anyone have any thoughts on using a normal laptop that has dual drives; one standard HDD and a second SSD. They seem to me to be more cost effective and should still retain any important information even if the HDD is broken. (Pending that OS is run off of the SSD).

Anyone have any opinions? I'm starting to look for a new laptop prior to starting.

Anyone have any thoughts on using a normal laptop that has dual drives; one standard HDD and a second SSD. They seem to me to be more cost effective and should still retain any important information even if the HDD is broken. (Pending that OS is run off of the SSD).

Anyone have any opinions? I'm starting to look for a new laptop prior to starting.

I think it's a good option, putting the OS on the SSD gives you a really noticeable decrease in start-up time. Depending on the size of the SSD, you might be able to put some frequently used programs on it as well. HDD is good for documents/photos/videos where storage is a lot cheaper and speed isn't as important.

It's going to be a heavy laptop. Consider looking into SSHD by Seagate?

Maybe I'm missing something here but why would you need more than 20GB (free Google drive data) during med school? Apart from lecture notes what else could there possibly be?:confused:

I have no personal videos/photos on my onedrive, and it has 45GB on it. My OneNote backup alone for 1st year med is around 10GB. I have about 150 GB of personal photos/videos that I will upload to my OneNote once they give me my 1TB upgrade.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived