Premed 101 Forums

Waitlist Party!

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Me too man. I really thought I had a good shot after that interview. If only we knew how long the waitlist was or what the chances are now.

I'm rooting for you guys!

I'm guessing you have a decent shot. I think there is traditionally quite a bit of wait list movement at Mac.

Does the timestamp on our waitlisting mean anything? I got mine at 1:30 and I saw another person got his at 3:15.

I don't think it does, they were having a disaster today.

Looks like a lot of people who got waitlisted at Mac have offers somewhere else. Going to assume at least 100 people got rejected making the waitlist ~250? Probably at least a 25% chance so still some hope.

Is the waitlist really that large? Wow, I had assumed it would be much smaller. Smaller than the number rejected anyways.

I honestly have absolutely no clue, it's probably much smaller but figured I'd go for a very conservative estimate.

I honestly have absolutely no clue, it's probably much smaller but figured I'd go for a very conservative estimate.

Ya so hard to estimate. It has to be small enough to be meaningful but large enough to protect against a freak number of rejections. In other words, we're back to 4 hours ago, trying to guess things based on sparse data. party!!!!

In case anyone hasn't seen this yet. Data is old but may still give some hope. :)

http://www.afmc.ca/pdf/2013_ad_bk.pdf

Wow I had looked at these before but didn't remember how large the offered and rejected chunk was. In those two years 44% of the final entering class was off the waitlist...Hard to judge how that compares to now but definitely gives me a bit of hope!

Wow I had looked at these before but didn't remember how large the offered and rejected chunk was. In those two years 44% of the final entering class was off the waitlist...Hard to judge how that compares to now but definitely gives me a bit of hope!

Wow thanks for pointing that out. It cheered me up! :D

Wow thanks for pointing that out. It cheered me up! :D

I know me too! I was kind of shocked and had to double check the math. Makes me wonder if they should just incorporate a 'school preference ranking' system on OMSAS that could pre-empt a lot of the waitlist movement around Ontario. Obviously I'm hoping to get in but the uncertainty is the worst part. I think I would rather just know today if I'm not getting in. This makes it hard to plan for anything.

I know me too! I was kind of shocked and had to double check the math. Makes me wonder if they should just incorporate a 'school preference ranking' system on OMSAS that could pre-empt a lot of the waitlist movement around Ontario. Obviously I'm hoping to get in but the uncertainty is the worst part. I think I would rather just know today if I'm not getting in. This makes it hard to plan for anything.

Yeah I'm looking for a job/volunteering now but don't want to commit to something for the full summer in case I get in. On the other hand, I don't want to wait for the next 3 weeks to go by doing nothing.

Yeah I'm looking for a job/volunteering now but don't want to commit to something for the full summer in case I get in. On the other hand, I don't want to wait for the next 3 weeks to go by doing nothing.

I feel for you Sarvish, I was hoping you'd get a seat.

Thanks. I'm happy with how far I got as a 3rd year but it kind of hurts to be so close but not quite there. Hopefully I can keep my mind off it for a while.

Hey your a third year, this time last year (or right now if i were you) I was studying for the MCAT. There are good times ahead for you!

Plus I dislike the idea of only having an MD and not a degree before that.

In case anyone hasn't seen this yet. Data is old but may still give some hope. :)

http://www.afmc.ca/pdf/2013_ad_bk.pdf

I'm pretty sure 96 people don't turn down a spot at Queen's which takes only 100, so this document loses some credibility IMO

Side note, for everyone else, I'd imagine that 70/200 spots declined of the initial round sounds good. When you also factor in that many people on the waitlist are accepted elsewhere, I would probably say that anyone in the top 350/500 applicants has a solid shot at Mac.

Archived