Premed 101 Forums

Going to USA after Caribbean

1. Med 1+2 are on the island.

2. Pass USMLE Step 1

3. Med 3+4 in the US+Canada

4. Pass USMLE Step 2

5. Apply for and start US residency, obtain J1/H1B visa

6. Finish residency, pass USMLE Step 3, pass board exam for your specialty

If on J1 visa: You have to return to Canada for either 2 or 3 years after residency, unless you want to work in an underserviced area of the US.

If on H1B (harder to get this): You can work in the US after you're finished residency. At some point you can get a green card and work towards getting US citizenship.

Hope that helps.

Is it possible to get J1, work in an underserviced area and then get greencard?

I'm not sure how long it takes, but yes after you work in an underserviced area for some amount of time you'll be eligible to get a green card and eventually citizenship.

• 3 months later...

Is it possible to get J1, work in an underserviced area and then get greencard?

Yes, it's absolutely possible. When you obtain the J1 waiver, you'll be employed under the H1B visa and usually once you finish your waiver ( 3 years), your employer can start the green card process

• 2 weeks later...

correct me if i'm wrong. 

But I thought Canadians would be at a further disadvantage over the US citizens because they are trying to match into a US residency program

so essentially they're trying to jump through more hoops. The 1st being they are trying to match into a US residency program which might not want to sponsor your visa thus limiting more of your options. Also, in year 3 and 4, just doing them in the US is harder because of match issues too?

Archived