Premed 101 Forums

Occupational Therapy student applying to medicine

Hey everyone,

I am an MSc. OT student finishing my first year and I am applying to medicine in the fall. I am hoping to hear thoughts from other people looking to make this shift/next step into medicine. I am also hoping to hear people that have been successful getting into medicine coming from an OT background. I would love to hear peoples thoughts on important things to highlight in your personal statement as well as interview. Any comments would be helpful if people are in the mood to share.

Thank you in advance! :)

Hey everyone,

I am an MSc. OT student finishing my first year and I am applying to medicine in the fall. I am hoping to hear thoughts from other people looking to make this shift/next step into medicine. I am also hoping to hear people that have been successful getting into medicine coming from an OT background. I would love to hear peoples thoughts on important things to highlight in your personal statement as well as interview. Any comments would be helpful if people are in the mood to share.

Thank you in advance! :)

My cousin's fiance did that many years ago and said it was an amazing transition. He liked that he had practical experience in healthcare, got to learn a lot about rehab (which isn't as much of a focus in med), and had a few years to work between graduating and starting med. Now, he's a GP and not only does he get to deal with his patients as a physician, but has a greater breadth of knowledge about his patient's rehab process and living conditions than his peers. I personally have considered this path because if I were not to get accepted into med next year (after undergrad), I would enjoy doing OT or an MPH because I don't see myself doing research even if its just a masters.

I think your experiences will be useful for you in your application and even interview, and you'll find medicine a richer experience because you have had opportunities to work with patients in a real healthcare setting.

Do you know how they consider marks if you were to apply with an M.Sc.OT? Is it just as if it were a course-based masters (like MPH) where they would use your GPA?

My cousin's fiance did that many years ago and said it was an amazing transition. He liked that he had practical experience in healthcare, got to learn a lot about rehab (which isn't as much of a focus in med), and had a few years to work between graduating and starting med. Now, he's a GP and not only does he get to deal with his patients as a physician, but has a greater breadth of knowledge about his patient's rehab process and living conditions than his peers. I personally have considered this path because if I were not to get accepted into med next year (after undergrad), I would enjoy doing OT or an MPH because I don't see myself doing research even if its just a masters.

I think your experiences will be useful for you in your application and even interview, and you'll find medicine a richer experience because you have had opportunities to work with patients in a real healthcare setting.

Do you know how they consider marks if you were to apply with an M.Sc.OT? Is it just as if it were a course-based masters (like MPH) where they would use your GPA?

Thanks for the feedback!

The M.Sc OT program I am in is course based along with clinical placements. I asked the the admin staff at medical schools and they said that you can use GPA from the program and that it might be given more weight then undergrad GPA scores simply due to higher expectations at the Masters level. They also told me that you do not have to use the GPA from the Masters program as you can apply with just Bachelor marks, but I will be including my most recent GPA as it is going well :) .

Thanks for the feedback!

The M.Sc OT program I am in is course based along with clinical placements. I asked the the admin staff at medical schools and they said that you can use GPA from the program and that it might be given more weight then undergrad GPA scores simply due to higher expectations at the Masters level. They also told me that you do not have to use the GPA from the Masters program as you can apply with just Bachelor marks, but I will be including my most recent GPA as it is going well :) .

Well that is great! My undergrad GPA is good and I really don't want to have that "need a high GPA so only learn for the exam" attitude in an interesting Master's program. I want undergrad to be the only time I worry about marks, and then actually learn for enjoyment when its something I'd like! Hopefully all schools do this

This past year I successfully made the transition from Speech-Language Pathologist to medical school. I applied after the first year of my masters and was waitlisted, and applied again after my second year. Thankfully, I was able to find work during this past year as a SLP while waiting to hear back from school. The training and experiences of a professional based masters, plus any work experience you may get afterwards, I think is a great asset for medical school applications and as a future physician. You have a lot of healthcare related experiences that you can discuss in your applications and interviews. The thing that you need to think through and articulate well is why you're changing paths. This came up numerous times for me.

Lastly, as I quoted above, not all schools will look at your master's GPA. Be sure to check specifically with each school as some only considered my undergrad GPA, some wanted my grad GPA but did not specifically state how it would be used, while others automatically used my grad GPA to calculate my overall GPA. Every school is different. Best of luck.

These are instructions that I found for Dal. For other schools I would call to see how they calculate Masters marks.

"Take all your course grades from your Masters and count it as one year's GPA. This year, in addition with your two best undergraduate years are averaged together to determine your eligible GPA. For Ph.D, it's the same except they use only your best year (year 3 or 4) from your undergrad."

This past year I successfully made the transition from Speech-Language Pathologist to medical school. I applied after the first year of my masters and was waitlisted, and applied again after my second year. Thankfully, I was able to find work during this past year as a SLP while waiting to hear back from school. The training and experiences of a professional based masters, plus any work experience you may get afterwards, I think is a great asset for medical school applications and as a future physician. You have a lot of healthcare related experiences that you can discuss in your applications and interviews. The thing that you need to think through and articulate well is why you're changing paths. This came up numerous times for me.

Lastly, as I quoted above, not all schools will look at your master's GPA. Be sure to check specifically with each school as some only considered my undergrad GPA, some wanted my grad GPA but did not specifically state how it would be used, while others automatically used my grad GPA to calculate my overall GPA. Every school is different. Best of luck.

IslandSLP & BraydonC, if you don't mind me asking, what reason/reasons did you give when asked why you're changing career paths all of a sudden?

IslandSLP & BraydonC, if you don't mind me asking, what reason/reasons did you give when asked why you're changing career paths all of a sudden?

My decision to pursue medicine after Occupational Therapy comes following great thought and consideration. I have learned a great deal about the practice of occupational therapy and have a better understanding of its purpose and value within the healthcare system. It is certainly an important and fundamental element in the care of patients. What I find myself attracted to in medicine is being responsible for the overall health of a patient, their “big picture”. Occupational therapy has many areas of practice, but entirely focuses on function. I believe this is fundamental to patient recovery, but I desire to work with them to improve their overall health, from intake to discharge. I also understand and acknowledge that I am simply drawn to other components of the health care world not focused on in occupational therapy including physiology, pharmacology and immunology. These interests stem from my Bachelors degree where I majored in Microbiology and immunology. I am also a person who loves learning and want to continue learning throughout my career. Although some OTs are active in continued education physicians are required to be. They are obligated to be up to date on best practices for interventions, drugs and anatomical/physiological science. I have learned a lot from occupational therapy and I plan to take it forward with me to become the best clinician I can be. I am interested in providing as much care to patients as I am able to from as many areas of their health as I can. For me this is not a sudden shift, but a natural continuation for a life-long learner with a passion for healthcare.

My decision to pursue medicine after Occupational Therapy comes following great thought and consideration. I have learned a great deal about the practice of occupational therapy and have a better understanding of its purpose and value within the healthcare system. It is certainly an important and fundamental element in the care of patients. What I find myself attracted to in medicine is being responsible for the overall health of a patient, their “big picture”. Occupational therapy has many areas of practice, but entirely focuses on function. I believe this is fundamental to patient recovery, but I desire to work with them to improve their overall health, from intake to discharge. I also understand and acknowledge that I am simply drawn to other components of the health care world not focused on in occupational therapy including physiology, pharmacology and immunology. These interests stem from my Bachelors degree where I majored in Microbiology and immunology. I am also a person who loves learning and want to continue learning throughout my career. Although some OTs are active in continued education physicians are required to be. They are obligated to be up to date on best practices for interventions, drugs and anatomical/physiological science. I have learned a lot from occupational therapy and I plan to take it forward with me to become the best clinician I can be. I am interested in providing as much care to patients as I am able to from as many areas of their health as I can. For me this is not a sudden shift, but a natural continuation for a life-long learner with a passion for healthcare.

I'd love if you got an interview question asking why you want to switch! :)

That's a very well though out reponse. Goodluck to you! Are you applying for Canadian schools only?

One other question...is a professional Masters degree (such as your OT degree) even considered in the GPA calculation at most Cdn/American schools? With a professional masters aren't you doing more placements and less courses (it's much different from an undergrad degree I presume)?

Thanks to both of you, I appreciate the positive feedback! AwesomeSauce, I am planning on applying to a few Canadian schools and maybe one or two in the states. Professional Masters degrees can be considered in GPA, as far as I know from the schools that I have contacted. My program in particular had two traditional terms of school first ( 5 full time classes for 2 terms over 8 months) then a full time clinical placement (8 weeks), 2 summer intensive courses (over 6 weeks). Then year 2: one term 5 courses, then 2 back to back full time clinical placements ( 16 weeks total), then two more intensive courses (6 weeks). So lots of places to develop GPA.

I know for Dalhousie University, they get you to take all of your courses at a masters level, average them into a one year GPA, those are added to the two best years from your undergrad. However, that all being said I still have to inquire further into other schools.

Archived