Premed 101 Forums

TRU Online Course Transfer Credits and Grade?

Is it possible to take Bio 1113 and 1115(lab) online (with the lab being done offline at Kamloops) via TRU and transfer the grade over? I wouldn't mind knocking off a prereq over the summer and lightening up my course load for my first year of sciences at UBC.

Does anyone have any experience with TRU, specifically its online courses?

Thanks in advance.

Is it possible to take Bio 1113 and 1115(lab) online (with the lab being done offline at Kamloops) via TRU and transfer the grade over? I wouldn't mind knocking off a prereq over the summer and lightening up my course load for my first year of sciences at UBC.

Does anyone have any experience with TRU, specifically its online courses?

Thanks in advance.

look it up on BC Transfer guide. If it matches then you are good to go.

Personally, I hated the online science courses at TRU. Depends how you work, if you are good at self pacing, can manage with minimal tutor interaction, and don't leave things until the last minute, I think it could work.

My experience was that a very easy course like Chem I in first year was made overly obtuse and difficult in their open learning courses. Awful questions and tests. Mind you that was about 5-6 years ago and they may have significantly improved their courses by now! I also left things until the last minute and tried to finish the course in 6 weeks so maybe it was me :)

My advice would be to take it at UBC. I did have a friend take her first year biology courses through them and loved them. Mainly assignment based work that was relatively easy to do well in if you did the assignments.

I loved TRU's science program at the university, great faculty and research. Nice and tight knit. The online science courses...not so much.

I just completed BIOL 1593 and 1693 through them and absolutely loved it. I liked that it was self-paced and I found the expectations to be very clearly defined. I had two midterms online and one final exam that was invigilated. I also used the BC Transfer guide to make sure they transfer back to UBC for credit. Good luck!

Hey man,

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. I noticed that you mentioned taking Biol 155 at TRU. How was the course, and do you mind if I ask how you did overall?

I have never taken a university course before, but I'd consider myself to be diligent and am willing to set aside 4 hours a day for this course. I can't take Biol 121 at TRU because of the lab which already started at Kamloops However, Biol 155 seems to have no lab component. Is it doable without any prior university biology courses? Also, is this a first year biology course and will I have to do Bio 121 and 112 regardless?

Thanks in advance.

I got 96% in these courses. There is a lot of material so you really have to stay on top of it. I also did them both together in 3 months while I worked full time so I had to be really on top of things. I would say things came more easily for me as I have already studied these things throughout my prior degree, I had just never taken a single course on all of the things together. I think it is doable with no prior science background, just might take some extra time conceptualizing the systems and absorbing the content. I took this course as it is a prerequisite for some other programs I have as a back-up, plus I knew if I worked hard I could get a good grade in it and I needed to boost my GPA a bit (it isn't a subjective course). I don't believe this course counts as 112 or 121 as the BC Transfer guide didn't mention such. It's not the same content anyway, so it wouldn't make sense.

I got 96% in these courses. There is a lot of material so you really have to stay on top of it. I also did them both together in 3 months while I worked full time so I had to be really on top of things. I would say things came more easily for me as I have already studied these things throughout my prior degree, I had just never taken a single course on all of the things together. I think it is doable with no prior science background, just might take some extra time conceptualizing the systems and absorbing the content. I took this course as it is a prerequisite for some other programs I have as a back-up, plus I knew if I worked hard I could get a good grade in it and I needed to boost my GPA a bit (it isn't a subjective course). I don't believe this course counts as 112 or 121 as the BC Transfer guide didn't mention such. It's not the same content anyway, so it wouldn't make sense.

Awesome, thanks for the insightful response. So it definitely counts for your sGPA, right? I was considering taking Calculus II instead since a 6 credit course may be a bit too hefty, but I have four hours a day to work on it until the end of August, at which point I will have to juggle it with other courses come university. Would you recommend taking it anyway?

Also, did you write the exam at Kamloops?

Thanks again, man. I really appreciate it.

I did Bio 1113 + 1115 as well as first year general Chem and Organic Chem all through TRU. I came from a non-science background and it's been 15 years since I graduated with my first degree.

I managed to get through all of the courses (and Biochem through U of T) while working part-time and parenting full-time, but I'll admit that there were days when I felt like I'd taken on way more than I could handle.

I found TRU to be quite supportive (one Chem prof in particular was very helpful) and the guidelines to be clear. The course work was not easy and I did resort to finding a tutor to help me through the OChem. However, Biology was straightforward to follow and with some dedicated time set aside to read some long chapters (and patience to deal with some on-line content which may or may not actually work) it's very do-able over the summer.

The exams can be written almost anywhere.

Yes, it counts towards your GPA. UBC is great in that ALL post secondary credits count towards your entrance GPA. I live in Vancouver so I wrote it here. They have one exam sitting in Vancouver every month that is invigilated. First it was at their site at Burrard and Georgia and the exam exam was at the BCIT downtown. The midterms are online and open book.

I would recommend taking it for sure. I think you could manage it with four hours a day. I would also recommend the study guide (optional) because they lay out everything you need to know with notes. This can be useful when supplementing the textbook (which I have if you want to buy it off of me).

Awesome, thanks for the insightful response. So it definitely counts for your sGPA, right? I was considering taking Calculus II instead since a 6 credit course may be a bit too hefty, but I have four hours a day to work on it until the end of August, at which point I will have to juggle it with other courses come university. Would you recommend taking it anyway?

Also, did you write the exam at Kamloops?

Thanks again, man. I really appreciate it.

Yes, it counts towards your GPA. UBC is great in that ALL post secondary credits count towards your entrance GPA. I live in Vancouver so I wrote it here. They have one exam sitting in Vancouver every month that is invigilated. First it was at their site at Burrard and Georgia and the exam exam was at the BCIT downtown. The midterms are online and open book.

I would recommend taking it for sure. I think you could manage it with four hours a day. I would also recommend the study guide (optional) because they lay out everything you need to know with notes. This can be useful when supplementing the textbook (which I have if you want to buy it off of me).

The Vancouver-based exams are a huge relief. I'll definitely be taking the course now. Are the midterm's manageable? I'm asking because open-book tests tend to test for applications as opposed to rote memorization.

Thanks again!

Also, there was no lab portion, right? It's just Biol 1693 and 1593 which are just "lecture" classes by the looks of it.

Moreover, would it be a good idea to signup for BIOL 1593 first prior to 1693? That way, I can pace myself and split the payments up (because $550 + $350 is somewhat hefty, so I'd rather pay the latter later).

Thanks again.

Also, what were the "midterms" like?

1. No Labs! WOO!

2. Midterms are out of 50. 35 multiple choice and 3 short answers. Honestly, if you study, the midterms should NOT be a problem. I found them WAY easier than the final exams.

3. I registered for 1593 first, and then I registered for 1693 about a week before my final for the first one. I was on a time crunch to get everything done before my May 10 final exam for 1693 so I wanted to make sure I registered in time for 1693 so I could get the study guide mailed to me.

Also, what were the "midterms" like?

• 1 year later...

Hey I am from Calgary and am wondering if you need to take the lab portion of this course (BIOL 1593/1693) in Kamloops? I am currently taking BIOL 235 at Athabasca and am finding it to be difficult to remember 10 chapters of this massive text for one midterm so I am wanting to transfer to TRU. Also the tutors at Athabasca are not helpful. 

Also wondering if the final is cumulative?

Hey I am from Calgary and am wondering if you need to take the lab portion of this course (BIOL 1593/1693) in Kamloops? I am currently taking BIOL 235 at Athabasca and am finding it to be difficult to remember 10 chapters of this massive text for one midterm so I am wanting to transfer to TRU. Also the tutors at Athabasca are not helpful. 

Unlikely to be any easier at TRU. 10 chapters is a lot, but you don't need to know them word for word. Just main concepts. If you think 10 chapters is too much for a midterm, medical school is significantly more volume at much smaller intervals. You need to take your time and learn how to get the main points of the chapters amongst all the extraneous details that are unnecessary. Athabasca usually also does a good job of outlining key points and objectives in the study guide. 

Thanks for the response. I am applying for OT not med school. Did you take BIOL 235? I am most likely going to take KNES 259/260 at U of C since I learn better in a classroom. 

Same difference for OT. OT/PT are actually just as rough, if not more so in their 1st year - since the programs are so short.

• 4 months later...
  • 9 months later...
On 5/23/2016 at 10:29 AM, kstau908 said:

Hey, I'm also in the same boat. Had to withdraw from the Athabasca BIOL 235 course. Did you enrol in BIOL 1593 at TRU? If yes, how was it in comparison to the Athsbasca coursE?

Archived