Premed 101 Forums

CaRMS 2014 Statistics

I'm hoping to make a sticky with the summarized CaRMS data.

If anyone makes up a good post summarizing the ratio of spots to interviewed (eg. competitiveness) between specialties across the last 3-4 years I will then sticky it to this forum. Volunteers much appreciated! Any other interesting statistical summaries will be considered as well.

Something like:

Specialty/2011/2012/2013/2014

Cardiac Surgery/0.xx/0.xx/0.xx/0.xx/

etc

etc

etc

I'm hoping to make a sticky with the summarized CaRMS data.

If anyone makes up a good post summarizing the ratio of spots to interviewed (eg. competitiveness) between specialties across the last 3-4 years I will then sticky it to this forum. Volunteers much appreciated! Any other interesting statistical summaries will be considered as well.

Something like:

Specialty/2011/2012/2013/2014

Cardiac Surgery/0.xx/0.xx/0.xx/0.xx/

etc

etc

etc

I can work something up with the quota and the number of applicants to the specialty - not sure if that's the same as the number interviewing, CaRMS isn't all that specific with their terminology and I don't see any stats CaRMS gives that would fit better.

The interpretation's a bit tricky using those numbers as well, since there are a lot of specialties that are frequently applied to that the applicant has little intention of matching into. For example, I ran the numbers for 2014 and the most "competitive" specialty was Laboratory Medicine, since it has a small after-revision quota, but everyone who picked it as their first choice matched into it. By this metric, ENT and Ophtho were about as competitive as Family and Internal respectively, but mostly because Family and Internal are good back-ups for many specialties, while ENT and Ophtho are unique fields with little crossover with other specialties and not used as back-ups by anyone.

If this is what you're looking for, I'd be happy to run the numbers for the past five years or so and post what I get, but I'm not sure that's what you're asking for...

I can work something up with the quota and the number of applicants to the specialty - not sure if that's the same as the number interviewing, CaRMS isn't all that specific with their terminology and I don't see any stats CaRMS gives that would fit better.

The interpretation's a bit tricky using those numbers as well, since there are a lot of specialties that are frequently applied to that the applicant has little intention of matching into. For example, I ran the numbers for 2014 and the most "competitive" specialty was Laboratory Medicine, since it has a small after-revision quota, but everyone who picked it as their first choice matched into it. By this metric, ENT and Ophtho were about as competitive as Family and Internal respectively, but mostly because Family and Internal are good back-ups for many specialties, while ENT and Ophtho are unique fields with little crossover with other specialties and not used as back-ups by anyone.

If this is what you're looking for, I'd be happy to run the numbers for the past five years or so and post what I get, but I'm not sure that's what you're asking for...

I think first choice specialty/spots available is a good rough metric for general competitiveness.

If I remember correctly the first choice specialty stat reported from CaRMS is based on the rank order. So these are not total applicants but those that interviewed and then ranked a program in a given specialty. It does not include those who applied and didn't get an interview. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. It has been a while since I looked at the stats in depth.

I think first choice specialty/spots available is a good rough metric for general competitiveness.

If I remember correctly the first choice specialty stat reported from CaRMS is based on the rank order. So these are not total applicants but those that interviewed and then ranked a program in a given specialty. It does not include those who applied and didn't get an interview. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. It has been a while since I looked at the stats in depth.

That I could do, certainly. It might include people ranking a specialty first where they didn't interview, but since that's a fairly poor strategy, I can't imagine there'd be many people (if anyone) in that metric.

It'll be fairly close to the stats I presented before in this thread, which was the percentage of people successfully matching to their first-choice field by specialty. I'll get something worked up in the next couple days.

Archived